Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by vec-tor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 days ago

So now that I have a proper working bench power supply, I'm able to see what this DE MPU is doing wrong.

With a game rom in socket, +5v on, PIA on-off quick, Blanking on, then blanking drops out after about 3 seconds.

With Leon's test rom in socket, on boot, I get about 2-3 relay clicks of the PIAs doing there thing, then crash, but sometimes more or less.... IRQ drops low about 3 seconds after the last click.

With no rom in socket, 2 volts on all address lines for about 3 seconds, then they all go high.

Identical behavior with another known working CPU.

Address line short? Chip selection? PIA?

#2 4 days ago

I first would check continuity on all CPU traces...
Then I would check RAM...

#3 4 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I first would check continuity on all CPU traces...
Then I would check RAM...

I've swapped RAM with ramtron 1608. I also buzzed this board out about 3 times prior, so good there.

I was just curious if this partial working behavior was typical of one section, like bad 74ls244s, 245, chip selection ICs. I've repaired a similar issues, but they were less complicated to debug because they were obvious to spot.

#4 4 days ago

i replaced the cpu socket and it is more consistent now, but still hangs...Replacing ROM and RAM sockets now.

#5 4 days ago

Got Leon's test running. Isolated it down to the display PIA @ 11B. The LED pin at pin 6 there was randomly firing, and pins 2-5 are completely dead on it. Could be more involved, but starting here as it is the most likely cause since the decoder & led lines are isolated.

#6 4 days ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Got Leon's test running. Isolated it down to the display PIA @ 11B. The LED pin at pin 6 there was randomly firing, and pins 2-5 are completely dead on it. Could be more involved, but starting here as it is the most likely cause since the decoder & led lines are isolated.

I was reading up on the test chip you are using...
If everything else is good you could have a flaky PIA/PIAs.
I had to replace three PIAs on a Data East Simpsons pinball
one time to get it to work... They were used to drive the
display circuity... some tech shorted the display and...BOOM.

#7 3 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I was reading up on the test chip you are using...
If everything else is good you could have a flaky PIA/PIAs.
I had to replace three PIAs on a Data East Simpsons pinball
one time to get it to work... They were used to drive the
display circuity... some tech shorted the display and...BOOM.

I got lucky this time and it was just a bad RAM socket, which has been the case historically for me with any intermittent issues like this (bad sockets). Thanks for the input.

#8 3 days ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I got lucky this time and it was just a bad RAM socket, which has been the case historically for me with any intermittent issues like this (bad sockets). Thanks for the input.

Excellent!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lancaster, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 21.00
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 38.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 64.99
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside