View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
images (resized).png
index (resized).png
bin3 (resized).png
JP_DeadSol (resized).JPG
JP_Ground (resized).JPG
P1010010 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Playfield swap on my DE JP resulted in magic smoke from the CPU board. I'm pretty sure I have the playfield issue fixed but now I'm fixing the board. I replaced a couple bad transistors Q26/Q18 and Q43/Q35 the only components that still do not work are associated with the Q43/Q35 components. Poking around, I noticed the center leg of Q35 had continuity to ground. I pulled that transistor and the trace looks good but still continuity to ground. Could I have shorted out the resistor at RA10? It only shows ground to the pin associated with Q35, all other pins seem fine. I'm likely going to pull that resistor network and check the pin continuity to ground when I get home tonight unless there are any better ideas.

#3 5 years ago

I pulled the resistor at RA10. I was still getting continuity to ground at the center pin location of Q35 as well as the corresponding pin location at RA10. I thought that maybe it was solder at the center pin of Q35 so I lightly cleaned the hole with a tiny drill bit (by hand). Now I no longer get continuity to ground at the Q35 nor the RA10 locations.

How the heck to I get a transistor back in the Q35 location without having my continuity to ground issue now?

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

So, I got some components in order to be able to replace what I thought would need to be replaced. The ground at center pin of Q35 was bothering me, I decided to pull the resistor array RA10. I still had ground at the center pin of Q35 as well as the corresponding resistor pin location.

I used my spare CPU board (DMD issue but everything else works) as a test case to compare. I started to poll around the traces and came to the conclusion that the source of the bad ground was the component 7408. I swapped this component with the spare and fixed my continuity to ground issue.

See pic below, red trace is what I figured was the source of the ground.

I am still having problems with my solenoids.... see other pic (highlighted coils do not work). Is there possible something further up the line that is causing me problems?
JP_DeadSol (resized).JPGJP_DeadSol (resized).JPGJP_Ground (resized).JPGJP_Ground (resized).JPG

#7 5 years ago

The continuity to ground has been fixed but I still have several coils that still don't work. I've been working at one at a time, the coils associated with Q43 (left scoop and some flashers) but I'm starting to wonder if they are party of a bigger problem.

#8 5 years ago

Double post

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Did you check the downstream wiring by momentarily grounding Q43 tab to make sure the left scoop fires?

About this.... How does one do this? I tried and caused more damage but I likely did something wrong.

#12 5 years ago

All coils fire (at least the L side) in this test. Since most coils fire both L & R, I assume there is not an issue with the L/R relay.

#14 5 years ago

No battery corrosion on the MPU board. Coil mounted diodes... I think are fine but the only way of knowing for sure would be to clip them, most of them were replaced during the playfield swap. I was able to fire all coils by grounding their specific transistor, even the particular ones that I cannot fire in diagnostic tests (except for the dino mouth coil but that could be other issues).

#16 5 years ago

Any tips on that?

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

TTL logic is cheap enough now... that if I've validated all works from the driver transistor to the coils... then I'd just shotgun the remaining TTL logic and replace them all. $0.75 - $3 for the peace of mind of not having to worry about the state of the logic.
Of course; I wouldn't do this for an unobtainum chip... just the common stuff like 74xx and 40xx series logic. Just my $0.02.
having said that: If your looking for some troubleshooting fun; by all means go for it.

I would do this if I had any on hand or had a local supplier to get them asap. I do plan on ordering from GPE as soon as their website is back up.. in the meantime, it is test and if needed replace with components from the spare board

#27 5 years ago

I'm thinking the 74LS273 may be next. I checked the pins on the 7408 chips, things seem mostly the same. I checked these while in Diagnostic Mode, flasher test. As the game would cycle the flashers, I would see the voltage on the pins jump. 3.5V on the same pins 7408 to 7408.

Tim, you have a 74LS273 chip?

#31 5 years ago

Coils 4L & 4R (left scoop and some flashers) are the ones I'm trying to resolve, they fire if I ground the transistor but won't fire in diagnostic mode. I have replaced everything on that coils path from the 2 transistors, the resistor array and the 7408.

#33 5 years ago

GPE site is down... supposed to be back up soon. Grrrr

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you have also verified the gates of the 7408 pins are behaving the same....why would you replace the 74LS273? ...signals can't jump over a bad 74LS273 and become correct at the 7408. You have replaced the 7408 and verified the pins are behaving the same, the problem must be downstream from there.

LOL..... Sure, use logic.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you have also verified the gates of the 7408 pins are behaving the same....why would you replace the 74LS273? ...signals can't jump over a bad 74LS273 and become correct at the 7408. You have replaced the 7408 and verified the pins are behaving the same, the problem must be downstream from there.

Are you suggesting that I look at the components between the TIP102 transistor and the 74LS273 chip?

Looking at the schematics, I may have missed checking the RA26 resistor array as well as R76. The transistor at Q35 had been replaced.

#38 5 years ago

I'm confused now... After looking over the schematic for a bit.

I've been concentrating on the Q43/Q35 components... Says SOL. DRV 4
This is the transistor Q43 that I ground and get the coil to fire.

What is SWITCHED SOL. DRV. 4 on the CN19 plug? Should I look at that?

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Actually, between the 7408 and the driver transistor. You already verified correct signals at the 7408....no?..or at least that is what I interpreted in your post.

I'm going to double check 7408 again tonight but I'm thinking it is good. So that means something between the 7408 to Q43 is bad. I did end up replacing everything in that string except those resistors (RA26 and R78).

#48 5 years ago

Fixed. Replaced RA26 after measuring very high resistance from center pin of Q35 to ground. All the other transistors measured about 1k ohm but this one was up in the mega range.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-cpu-board-magic-smoke-release?tu=kcz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.