• Latest reply 10 years ago by fattrain
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

On my LAH both the VUK and Knocker are locking on upon start up. These happened at separate times a few days apart (the knocker was disconnected for a few days prior to the VUK locking on).

The coils aren't melted, but I suspect the respective transistor(s) may have gone bad? I went through a good portion of the transistors looking for one or two that measured differently than the others, but was getting the same reading for the most part on all of them ( .5 on one side, 1.1 or so on the other).

The knocker didn't have a diode on it, I added one, but it continued to lock on. I have yet to check the diode on the VUK.

Looking for help on what the next step in the trouble shooting process is. If anyone knows which transistors drive these two coils that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Looks like q42 for vuk, q39 for knocker

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Thanks! Does that make sense that it would be transistors that would be bad?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Does that make sense that it would be transistors that would be bad?

Two being bad are better than a dozen.

Easy to check them if they are shorted.

LTG : )™

#5 10 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm#howdmm

Check out the transistor section for TIP122.

#6 10 years ago

Cool - all the ones I tested last night were in the .4-.6 and around 1.1 range, hopefully I didn't test the correct ones

Will report back after checking q42 and q39 this evening.

#7 10 years ago

Update - the transistor for the knocker is definitely shorted, I haven't replaced it yet, but that should solve that issue.

The transistor for the VUK is testing OK. Could the transistor still be the issue?

Both the diode on the VUK coil and VUK switch are testing OK.

Any help on next steps would be great!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

The transistor for the VUK is testing OK. Could the transistor still be the issue?

Yes.

LTG : )™

#9 10 years ago

I would probably check continuity to you VUK. Make sure the path is there before driving yourself crazy with other possibilities.

#10 10 years ago

Looks like there is another transistor to check. I didn't see it yesterday (sorry was looking from a phone). Check Q4 on the PPB board.

Link to the manual:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1416/Data_East_1993_Last_Action_Hero_Manual.pdf

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

Looks like there is another transistor to check. I didn't see it yesterday (sorry was looking from a phone). Check Q4 on the PPB board.
Link to the manual:

Awesome - will cross my fingers that that is the issue. Appreciate the help!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

Link to the manual:

I checked q4 and it too appears good. I may just shotgun replace all 3 of them and see if that helps.

#13 10 years ago

Anything else I should be searching for? I'm not sure how to check the continuity on the VUK. Thanks!

#14 10 years ago

Update -
Replaced both transistors and pre driver transistors for the coils.

Knocker is good!
VUK is a maybe... It isn't locking on, but when fired, will sometimes stay up. The coil isn't getting continuous power, and with a slight push the plunger goes back down. This leads me to believe something is binding, but I can't repeat it without it actually firing, and it isn't doing it consistently. I'm going to got deeper into the mech, and see if maybe the spring is the culprit? Any thoughts on what to look for?

#15 10 years ago

I think you're heading in the right directions. Probably just needs a little TLC, maybe some new springs and coil sleeve e.t.c.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-coil-locking-on-x2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.