• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05BED1D5-7297-430E-A31C-F9AF7941FA5D (resized).jpeg
C70CDB0D-0347-4609-8787-211AAF86C5EB (resized).jpeg
F7AE3C99-951F-4720-A44D-DB653009D19D (resized).jpeg
2019-12-12 17_00_45-https___www.ipdb.org_files_498_Data_East_1991_Checkpoint_Manual.pdf - Internet E (resized).png
2019-12-12 16_42_03-Data east checkpoint dmd_reset issues _ Tech_ Modern games _ Pinside.com - Inter (resized).png
FA03BDE7-EF6D-4D8B-9357-6C707AD878DA (resized).jpeg
5F67B43D-8199-458D-9B22-7DFA4158F606 (resized).jpeg
AE18EB3D-98D8-4309-976B-3F6A853D944F (resized).jpeg
36C1E11F-D74A-41DE-A93E-869264C48455 (resized).jpeg
B1C956F5-E0DE-4647-BA26-00C68CCFAEC9 (resized).jpeg
76F4A6DE-39F9-434D-9764-818E8EAE37C0 (resized).jpeg
A74F3AEA-018C-4AAD-85C7-13408B600AE4 (resized).jpeg
C7C3C482-6681-4339-9969-16F6BB033D87 (resized).jpeg
7571B603-7C51-4061-A2FF-26A61CD1DE90 (resized).jpeg
1196C254-47C8-4518-B3CF-59F938A9DA01 (resized).jpeg
E6CA2FC4-03ED-4043-A592-3797027206D3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

The dots look well lit. Looks like a data issue. Any improvements if you reseat both ends of the DMD ribbon cable at the MPU and at the DMD? Make sure all the male header pins on the boards are straight, not bent, as you remove the ribbon cable ends.

#6 4 years ago

Where pin 1 of the ribbon is on the other end of the ribbon cable. Have to swap it on both ends so that it is connected correctly.

#8 4 years ago

NO. I am saying to swap the orientation of the cable on both ends, so the red pin 1 is on the other end of the connector. Trying to help prove this is a cable issue or not.

#11 4 years ago

If the ribbon cable was wrong on one end, there would be nothing on the display.

What I am after if trying to see if we can prove one Data line is missing data due to a one or two bad pin connections in the ribbon cable.

Very good chance the problem is elsewhere.

#14 4 years ago

I would have to believe the ribbon cable is not an issue here. You still have some animations freezing up even with the cable oriented this other way?

#16 4 years ago

Also there were no broken or bent header pins on the DMD nor the MPU?

Is this the only DE game you have?

#19 4 years ago

Sill.may be worth trying another ribbon cable.

#21 4 years ago

A computer ribbon cable will work just to test if it is the same number of pins.

#22 4 years ago

Not sure if this is the correct number of pins on the bottom right ribbon cable for your Data East game.

http://docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/DataEastPinball.htm

The computer ribbon cables I found with the strain relief usually cause intermittent issues. Many pinball supply shops are selling these type.

#24 4 years ago

I hope so since you were seeing something slightly different when you swapped the orientation of the ribbon cable on both ends.

#27 4 years ago

You can reburn your current one on the DMD. Make sure you are using the latest. I would even make sure the Game ROM is the latest version as well. I suggest to erase the Eprom twice before the reburn.

#29 4 years ago

Oh, it sounded like you had the capability. Several on Pinside can do this.

I had been just buying replacements since you would have a shipping charge both ways getting someone to reburn them.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=ROMS059

#32 4 years ago

Yes, they work together. Yes, it is on the back of the DMD and it is in an IC socket as all EPROMs, which all games are that way that do not use a USB stick to update code.

Be mindful of the direction the notch on the EPROM is pointing when removing the old display ROM.

#35 4 years ago

Was this a working game when you picked it up?

#37 4 years ago

Ok. I see that Pinwiki only talks about R95 being 33k ohms, but also it is important that R104 is also measuring 33k ohm +/- 5% (31350 to 34650 ohms).

Can you post the resistance readings of both R95/R104?
When you replaced R95, do you know what the resistance was before removing it from the board?

#39 4 years ago

Know anyone with a TMNT, Hook, Checkpoint, DE Star Trek, or DE Batman so you can test out the DMD? Seems there might be an issue on the back of the board.

Also, there is potential for the MPU to be causing the issue.

#41 4 years ago

May be only one or the other. I have not seen a MPU and a DMD fail in a single game before.

If you can't find one of those games, the MPU can be tested in 128x32 DMD game, but likely a jumper needs to be changed in order to swap from a dual eprom to single eprom game to test.

If you can't find a way to test either, I have a 128x16 DMD I can send for testing.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from joelw23:

Thanks!
Got a couple command overrun messages too

What? Never seen such a message. Picture of this? Started with swapping ROMs?

#45 4 years ago

Very interesting. So then, sounded like corrupted RAM.
Consider going NVRAM to rid of those batteries forever. 124 year retention rate.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#46 4 years ago

How about some pictures of it working?

#53 4 years ago

Try pulling out the ribbon cable a bit at the MPU to see if the ribbon cable makes better connection that way. If that doesn't work, try the same thing at the DMD ribbon cable connection. Maybe there is some corrosion on the board pins.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Also noticed one of my batteries is starting to go bad need to swap them out.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Consider going NVRAM to rid of those batteries forever. 124 year retention rate.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#58 4 years ago

Can you measure the voltages at the DMD power connector? Up till now, seems to have been a data issue.

#60 4 years ago

Connector is plugged in at the DMD? It needs to be. Would like to see the exact meter measurements.

#63 4 years ago

So all your animations are working now you are saying?

Quoted from joelw23:

fixed the skill shot issue, it was just a switch adjustment....

Shooter lane switch?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from joelw23:

still not getting the race again/ball save to light up and work when you start a game...

Does it light up if you go into the lamp test? No others are out?

#68 4 years ago

Swapped in a working bulb from another location? Lamp socket missing the diode or the solder tabs touching?

#71 4 years ago

My power supply is also not being used along with my DMD as the playfield is all torn apart. I would want to see about recapping the power supply though if I was to send it on your way.

As another mentioned, capacitors would be a huge benefit to keeping the game running. There are a couple of the smaller ones that do like to leak and eventually would cause loss of 5volts. Currently, I think you voltages at the DMD seem like they are in spec.

#74 4 years ago

With power off, Can you paritally unplug the ribbon cable at the DMD and at the MPU board? If it helps, then I would scrub the male board pins with a clean toothbrush and alcohol.

#79 4 years ago

Does CN1 on the power supply have any discoloration on the white plastic housing at all? That will be a sign of burnt pins. I think the 100v for the display power comes in at the top corners of this 3x4 connector. May want to just reseat the connector even if it seems ok.

#82 4 years ago

How does the CN1 look on the power supply? Is there discoloration around that pin? If so, that is an issue that needs to be checked as to whether that goes to the 100v on the schematic. Which pin is this one? I can't tell by the orientation of CN1 in your hand.

1 week later
#90 4 years ago

Post #80 you show the discoloration from the burnt pin that will get worse over time. So I am wondering if you remember when the animations got better at that time, do you remember reseating CN1 along the other things you mentioned?

Here are a list of parts to redo the wiring and male pins. The male pins are a challenge to get out of the board sometimes. Normally I see both mating ends of the CN1 damaged, not just one end.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKWMS
2019-12-12 16_42_03-Data east checkpoint dmd_reset issues _ Tech_ Modern games _ Pinside.com - Inter (resized).png2019-12-12 16_42_03-Data east checkpoint dmd_reset issues _ Tech_ Modern games _ Pinside.com - Inter (resized).png

#91 4 years ago

CN1 pin 12 is ground which in turn is used at the DMD power connector.

2019-12-12 17_00_45-https___www.ipdb.org_files_498_Data_East_1991_Checkpoint_Manual.pdf - Internet E (resized).png2019-12-12 17_00_45-https___www.ipdb.org_files_498_Data_East_1991_Checkpoint_Manual.pdf - Internet E (resized).png

#94 4 years ago

Odd. I have been expecting a data issue. The flipper coil voltage is not even going to the DMD controller board at all so I don't see how the animations are being affected.

Do you have the two ground straps connected from the bottom of the backtox to the speaker panel? One of them should at least be connected to the ground of the DMD, possibly via from a speaker panel ground on one of the speakers.

1 week later
#100 4 years ago

Can you test the flipper board in another game? Only way it would cause an issue if there is a data line corrupt somehow. Is this an original DE or Rottendog flipper board? How about a picture of the board?

#102 4 years ago

I missed that. This is odd.

New ribbon cables and seems all boards and test good in another machine.

Can you borrow the DMD from your friend's game to test in your game?

2 weeks later
#106 4 years ago

I know I would recap the power supply, more so for the reason of the smaller ones do like to leak and cause major damage to certain areas of the board.

I never seen what CN1 looks like on the power supply board. You mentioned you repinned the burnt connector of CN1. Normally, Both connections get damaged.

#108 4 years ago

Slight burn as you can see on pin 12 from the discoloration on the CN1 connector on the power supply.

I am just not quite sure with all the board swapping you have been doing is pointing at a data issue or a voltage issue. I know I always tackle replacing damaged parts/connectors/old power supply capactiros and see where I end up at.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Probably won’t help but worth a try.
My DMD on turtles went weird i had to reset the chip in the board and it fixed the issue same thing with sound. I think the board has cold solder joints i need to reflow the connections.
Maybe your experiencing the same thing. Try to reflow the connections for the chips.

All boards were tested in another game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-checkpoint-dmd-reset-issues?tu=pinballmaniac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.