• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

48BF0144-97E7-4448-AE7C-B35EB3B8F1CD (resized).jpeg
B8C4CE07-CE94-4B47-BCFD-2EEFD0746FEF (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I have a DE Back to the Future that constantly rotates a large number of messages during attract and gameplay. It tests fine but after it warms up display line segments are intermittently dropping out. Messages are mostly illegible. Moving wires and/or pressure at header pins doesn’t appear to change anything. Voltage is spot on 5.0 and I’ve reseated all the connectors and cleaned with Deoxit.

Can anyone direct me to any specific connections to check or connectors to reflow? I’m entirely stumped right now.

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

With power off, reseat the ribbon cable at the display and MPU boards.

1 week later
#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion but moving the cables didn’t help. It also prompted me to realize that i need to be clearer in my description. The text is not gibberish and looks like all the data is there and is fine, it’s just not consistently displaying all characters in the messages. What is showing is completely accurate but a significant amount is dropping out completely.

Initially everything is fine and everything displays completely normally. However after a few minutes it starts malfunctioning in the display. I reflowed the headers on the display board thinking it must be heat related but no change (and wiggling or pressing didn’t change anything). However I left my dmm on it for a while tonight and observed that -100v slowly falls off to around -70 when it starts happening. Both +100 and 5v are fine and the rest of the game appears to play fine.

What would that indicate? I would assume a cap on the power board would be suspect but I’m not certain if that’s right or which one relates to -100 voltage. Any thoughts?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from 72GTO:

However I left my dmm on it for a while tonight and observed that -100v slowly falls off to around -70 when it starts happening. Both +100 and 5v are fine and the rest of the game appears to play fine.

What would that indicate? I would assume a cap on the power board would be suspect but I’m not certain if that’s right or which one relates to -100 voltage. Any thoughts?

Very good detail. Yes, looks like a voltage issue happening. Post a picture of the power supply. If it has the original capacitors, that certainly is a possibility. The high voltage transistors is another possibility.

#5 2 years ago

As requested, here are a couple of pics of the power supply. I’m not clear if the voltage drop on -100 would cause the problem I’m encountering and describing on the display. If so, do I shotgun every cap or are there combinations of one or more caps on the -100 circuit? Thanks for the help.

The fuses themselves are fine and I’m aware of a fuse holder problem on these. I don’t think that would be my issue so long as there’s continuity and I’ve learned from prior experience at other repairs not to screw up the diagnostics by guessing wrong and bringing in more variables.

48BF0144-97E7-4448-AE7C-B35EB3B8F1CD (resized).jpeg48BF0144-97E7-4448-AE7C-B35EB3B8F1CD (resized).jpegB8C4CE07-CE94-4B47-BCFD-2EEFD0746FEF (resized).jpegB8C4CE07-CE94-4B47-BCFD-2EEFD0746FEF (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-bttf-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.