New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 27353)

Data East Batman randomly freaks out during play

By Willy39

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Dayhuff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I just got done taking apart the game and replaced all rubbers and bulbs. Put everything back together and now the game will just freak out. During play it will do the most random stuff like go in to multiball, or other game features. The display will freak out as well and reboot and go blank. Music also changes. Basically the only way to describe this is that the machine freaks out like it is possessed. It does what it wants.

Could it be bad bulbs? Are wires touching? Is it a ground issue? Not sure what to do or try to troubleshoot this. Please help!!

Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

Was the game 100% functional before you took it apart?

#3 8 years ago

Be sure all board connectors are on tight. Fuse holders on power supply board are soldered on tight.

Then go into switch test and bang on playfield, and watch awhile - see if anything obvious reports on DMD that needs attention.

LTG

#4 8 years ago

Yes. Was working fine before I did this. Don't think changing bulbs would cause this. I did not do anything else to circuit boards or power supply's or fueses. Diagnostics shows everything is ok.

#5 8 years ago

I still think it is a ground issue. I found this ground and think attached it to the correct screw (speaker screw in dmd.) but not 100% sure. I attached a picture. Can anyone tell me where this ground goes? It terminates at the main ground screw on the back board but not sure where it the other end is attached.

image.jpg

#6 8 years ago

Isn't there a weird thing with shorting to the playfield pivot bolt in the cabinet with Data East games? Make sure nothing is touching there.

#7 8 years ago

I will check that. One other thing I am thinking of that I did that may be causing this is replacing the the arm on the ramp that blocks the ball as it comes back down to the right flipper. I had to take the arm off to take off ramp. Could it be possible that when I reinstalled the arm into the mechanism attached to the coil that the coil is activated? In diagnostics it seems to work fine. I am just trying to go down the list of things I did that may be causing this.

Changed bulbs, changed rubbers, cleaned playfield, took off ramps to get underneath them, took off metal arm on ramp to remove ramp, lifted up playfield to get underneath to replace bulbs. That is about all I did so somewhere in doing the above things I messed something up where the game just randomly freaks out.

Thanks for the help.

#8 8 years ago

First thing I would check is the fuse clip holders on all DE games, there junk. Second I would be checking for cold solder joints on all boards. Third is any battery acid on the board and I do mean ANY. It only takes a little bit to make the board go nuts.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, mI.
269-979-3836

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 23.00
$ 50.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 275.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 299.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside