New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 26825)

Data east batman not starting up

By Willy39

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by smoke
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Just got a batman and it was working fine until interlaced the balls. When I start up the game, the lights all go on normally, the end shows the version of the game, the mechanism that shoots the ball to the plunger activates, and audio says I'm batman. Then the display goes dark, the lights blink fine, and nothing works. Any suggestions or help? Please??

Thanks
Ryan

#2 8 years ago

When I changed out the balls, not interlaced. iPhone is doing some auto correcting! Lol.

#3 8 years ago

Make sure you have the correct number of balls in the game. Doesn't sound like that'll be the blank display issue, but most games won't start without seeing the correct number of balls.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#4 8 years ago

Got the DMD working. I think loose cables. Here is the new problem. I can get the game to play as long as I use only 1 ball. If I have all three balls in there in won't play properly. Here is what happens when all three balls are in:

I hit start it shoots out ball 1, as soon as I put ball 1 into play, ball 2 shoots out, and then ball 3. So it just shoots out all the balls. Of course when 1 ball drains, it thinks I lost a ball and goes to my second turn. Somehow the ball chamber is not detecting the number of balls that are in the game. If I play with just 1 ball, I can play the game fine, just no multiball obviously.

Any suggestion? Oh, and in diagnostics mode if I have no balls in, it does detect that the balls are missing. As soon as I put 1 ball in, the diagnostics shows that the balls are ok. I think it should recognize that it is still missing 2 balls right?

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

Ryan

#5 8 years ago

Not sure how many switches in the ball trough for Batman, but go into switch edge diagnostic and using a ball, not your finger, make sure each switch registers independently with a ball. Sounds like maybe when you changed the balls, you bent a switch out of adjustment and it's made all the time or not at all.

#6 8 years ago

So got the game working fine. Powered it off and next day went to play it and same problem. Starts up, lights go on fine, it says I'm batman, then dmd goes dark and the auto plunger switch activates once. Nothing works then other than the lights working fine. Could it be bad Roms, fuses, anything else? Kind of stumped on this. Help please.

#7 8 years ago

Not a pro here, but that sounds like an intermittent problem with voltages. Don't think it would be fuses because they protect against too much current...

I'm a newb at this too so it will be interesting to see what people say. Did you get a manual with your game? If not, grab one ASAP. If you're not good with schematics, I'm sure some awesome people on here can help!

#8 8 years ago

I'm a newbie too. I think I will try to reseat all the cables and see what happens. I did just transport it a few days ago. Hoping someone has seen this problem before and can give me a magic fix!

#9 8 years ago

Thinking I might have a ground issue? I found a ground wire in a clear plastic tube not terminated anywhere. Does anyone know if and where that should terminate? From what is happening I was told it could be a ground issue.

#10 8 years ago

Willy, grab a manual, man. We really can't help you unless you grab one. Go to IPDB to get a copy:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=195

#11 8 years ago

common problem, each ball has a micro switch that senses balls in the game, if one or more switches do not register the ball it will keep kicking them out, tip the field up and meter the switchs, you will find one bad, $3 part from Terry at pineball life.

google it as well there are some good threads on debugging data east machines.

B.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 23.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 299.00
$ 275.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside