New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 27667)

Data East Batman DMD reboots and goes dark during gameplay

By Willy39

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RIVERKEEPER
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Ok. So this is my fourth topic on this pin. I think I am getting closer to pinpointing a problem. I am having an issue with the DMD. It works fine in diagnostics and for the most part (90% of the time) it works fine during gameplay. Occasionally during gameplay, it looks like the DMD reboots. It will show the display version and usa, etc. etc. during gameplay. Then it will just go back to the game where it left off and act fine. Also during gameplay it sometimes gets a garbled image on the screen, then it may go dark for a few seconds, and then again just pick up during the game where it left off. Any ideas what may be causing this? Thanks for the help and all my previous topics started on this pin! One day I hope to get it working 100%!

#2 8 years ago

Oversize Sega +5 Display fix.

Let me see if I can dig up the info....I've had to do it to three of my Batman Forever's that I've had.

Sega Service Bulletin 106: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sternpinball.com%2Fdownloads%2Fsb106.pdf

Need a new harness: http://www.marcospec.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=sega+display+harness

Pete

#3 8 years ago

This is the original Batman from Data East. Does this fix pertain to this game as I know the DMD is half the size of the Sega Batman Forever game. Thanks!!!

#4 8 years ago

Gah!!!

My fault!!

It certainly could be a power/voltage issue, but let me check on that one before I start shooting my mouth off.

Many apologies. Saw "Batman" and "Display", and my brain just jumped to conclusions.

#5 8 years ago

Lol! No prob. I appreciate your help. All the weird issues I have been having does seem to be pointing back to a power/volatage/ground issue. Any recommendations are much appreciated!

#6 8 years ago

Can you "make" the display reset? Like, if you spam the flippers, or if there are a lot of things going off that could make the voltage dip?

Again, not sure on this one, but if I were you, I'd definitely be exploring the voltage/power/ground stuff.

Pete

#7 8 years ago

It does seem like when things get "crazy" during the game that is when it kind of freaks, and/or reboots.

#8 8 years ago

That problem can happen if one of the game coil diodes comes loose, or it just fails. During multiball play, it happens possibly due to the flippers constant use during multiball. The cheap solution is to check if any are loose, and then to replace every flipper coil diode. 1N4004 diodes are cheap and easy to replace, and you have to desolder 1 side to even check them with a DMM, so worth the few minutes to cut the old ones off and replace them with new diodes.

May not fix the issue. Could be a 5 volt drain, that would put focus on the power driver PCB.

2 years later
#9 6 years ago

We are having issues with the dmd resetting during gameplay too. After installing a new LED display, a new DMD display rom, new ribbon cables, and a new power supply the dmd still resets randomly during gameplay and/or during the Star Trek preview, except it still keeps score.

From Clay's Repair Guide: This problem occurs because the +12 volts needed for the dot matrix display is generated by the 18 volt lamp matrix bridge and the capacitor / fuse bolted inside the back box (through connector CN5 on the power supply). The 12 volts generated by the power supply board (for the sound board which comes from connector CN6), does not provide this voltage to the dot matrix display. Hence, the power supply could be working perfectly, and this problem could still exist.

This sounds and looks exactly like what is happening. We have looked at this in Clay's Repair Guide and are doing all the reset suggestions, (i.e. replace diodes, bridge rectifiers, etc....)

If this doesn't work, then possibly installing a new CPU board, or sending it off for repair, might resolve this issue?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 23.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 275.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside