New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 29436)

Data East Batman dmd keeps rebooting during gameplay

By Willy39

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RIVERKEEPER
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I am having some issues with my dmd on de batman. During attract mode everything works fine on dmd. When game starts, everything on dmd works fine and displays score and graphics. Some random time during the gameplay, the dmd looks like it reboots and shows the display version number which is 1.02. After it does that, the score is not shown on the dmd. The graphics come up normally on dmd but sometimes the previous graphic is stuck on the screen. The dmd also randomly goes dark and again acts like it is rebooting by showing display rom version. The game is still playable and does tally the score, and again in attract mode the dmd is fine. I know though it is not working right. Any ideas? Has anyone ran into this issue before? Could it be a bad rom, cable, ground, etc??? Thanks for the help!

Ryan

#2 8 years ago

Power supply.... Do you have the stock in there right now or a third party?

#4 8 years ago

Check for burn connectors.I have problems with JP,and it was burned CN1

#5 8 years ago

Yeah, you likely have a power problem. I would test your voltage points. Could just be a loose connector though. Often times, when the power drops low enough to a board, it will reset. I had this on my DE Star Trek soundboard and went through and re-did the connectors. So far, I have not had a problem.

#6 8 years ago

A common cause of this type of behavior on data east is diodes shorted on one of the coils. I'd start by checking each coil diode.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the tips. All great info. It does appear that the power supply board was a hack job. No proper connectors and electrical tape usually is not done by the factory. I am ordering a replacement power supply and going to have the wires properly terminated instead of taped together with electrical tape. I attached a picture of it.

image.jpg

#8 8 years ago

I would wager that there is no solder under that tape either....

#9 8 years ago

Yeah my guess is they are twisted together and taped

#10 8 years ago

...and get those batteries off the board! The one time I had a massive corrosion just happen to be on a Data East. Sure was glad I had remote mounted.

#11 8 years ago

Any progress?

I'm in the situation as you. Same pin, same issue. The only difference is mine currently has a RD supply insteadd of the stock power supply. Pretty sure I found the underlying issue. It was a voltage regulator on said board. (Of course, it's one I don't have - grrr!)

I found this link by chance while surfing the net for this problem. Pretty thorough instructions on what he did to make it working again....

http://www.techdose.com/repairlog/Data-East-Lethal-Weapon-3--Various-Repairs/442/page1.html

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

I just installed a Rotten Dog power supply board and the problem still persists. Only happens when things get crazy like multi-ball and such. Still looking for an answer.....

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

I just installed a Rotten Dog power supply board and the problem still persists. Only happens when things get crazy like multi-ball and such. Still looking for an answer.....

Make sure those ribbon cables are straight as possible. No tight turns or kinks - very finicky.

#14 8 years ago

Reseat (or replace) cables. Reseat chips on display board behind the DMD. Might something like the Sega service bulletin #106 apply here? Sounds an awful lot like what was happening with my Maverick...I don't know if Maverick and Batman have similar display setups (I don't know when or if DE stopped using Sega parts, they could be completely different for all I know).

#15 8 years ago

Looking for a replacement data ribbon from CPU to dmd. I think it's 26 pin. Any idea where to get this obsolete cable?

#17 8 years ago

Just curious but if you set cool pulse power to soft, does it go away ?

#18 8 years ago

I think it is fixed! And the most ridiculous thing I did might have fixed it. The data ribbon that goes from dmd to CPU was wrapped around other wires around the edge of the box. All I did was pull it out of there and made sure the wire was not bent or crimped bright now the wire is kind of loosely hanging in the back box and not wrapped around the edge of the inside of the cabinet. I played about 10 games with heavy action and no issues with dmd going off. THANKS for all the help and especially the advice to make sure ribbon is not bent. I will keep this post updated after in play it a few more days to see if it for sure is fixed.

#19 8 years ago

I only mean ridiculous because I spent about $200 trying to figure this out and it ends up being a bent ribbon cable!

#20 8 years ago

Good news!

#21 8 years ago

Holy crap, I would suggest not using Rottendog power supplies for anything. I've seen bad things happen (high voltage way out of spec damaging the DMD, causing a burning smell in the backbox). Use Pinscore or X-Pin boards instead.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-power-supply

#22 8 years ago

Agree, Rottendog DE power supplies have some serious flaws that are documented pretty well on the internet. RD will fix them.. but if they are designed improperly and just fail again, what's the point?

10 bucks worth of parts or less would've fixed the original PS.

#23 8 years ago

Or just get an X-Pin with test LEDs, test points, 97% efficiency, short circuit protection, etc. Couldn't be happier with them.

#24 8 years ago

Wow. This kind of scares me. My board has been fine and it seems to be working ok for now. Can I be a lucky one where this board is fine? Is there something I need to look out for or test to make sure my RD board is ok? Doesn't any rep from Rotten Dog come and post on these forums to help explain to everyone about there boards and if they are fixing the issues? I was going to sell my original power supply as technically is still does work, but I may just keep it around for now. Please advise.

#25 8 years ago

The voltage regulators on the Rottendog board will eventually fail and cause crap like this to happen. I STRONGLY suggest considering another solution before you damage anything in your game.

1 year later
#26 6 years ago

We are having issues with the dmd resetting during gameplay too. After installing a new LED display, a new DMD display rom, new ribbon cables, and a new power supply the dmd still resets randomly during gameplay and/or during the Star Trek preview, except it still keeps score.

From Clay's Repair Guide: This problem occurs because the +12 volts needed for the dot matrix display is generated by the 18 volt lamp matrix bridge and the capacitor / fuse bolted inside the back box (through connector CN5 on the power supply). The 12 volts generated by the power supply board (for the sound board which comes from connector CN6), does not provide this voltage to the dot matrix display. Hence, the power supply could be working perfectly, and this problem could still exist.

This sounds and looks exactly like what is happening. We have looked at this in Clay's Repair Guide and are doing all the reset suggestions, (i.e. replace diodes, bridge rectifiers, etc....)

If this doesn't work, then possibly installing a new CPU board, or sending it off for repair, might resolve this issue?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 275.00
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 299.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 23.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside