6C978143-4124-4D3B-A3BA-E1D1641176EC (resized).jpeg
B0944BA6-08D2-4222-B346-18A72A12FE1B (resized).jpeg
229BF361-04F7-48FC-8F89-968AEEE21967 (resized).jpeg
20220209_004628.jpg
20220209_004548.jpg
20220209_004611.jpg
20220209_004601.jpg
20220130_170132.jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

With there being quite a few new parts/mods for Data East Batman recently, I figured it was about time for a club. An underrated Data East game with a ton of ramps, a good skillshot, and who doesn't love Flugelheim Museum Multiball?

Replacement Joker Ramps: Freeplay40 is currently making the Joker ramp, as well as a few other locations where it is sold right now.
Color DMD has a color display out: https://shop.colordmd.com/h-led-128x16-replacement-display-for-batman-pinball-machine/
The new Pinsound is awesome: https://www.pinsound.org/en/pinballs/data-east-r3/batman/
Replacement playfields: pantherpinball has been working on getting playfields swapped.

There's quite a few Batman restoration guides here: (as well as hi-res pictures)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-batman
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-de-pf

I'm also looking to get a Batman main ramp reproduced by one of the ramp guys here- as they were designed wrong and all of them have shattered at the same spots! Please DM me or reply if you're interested in them.

#2 3 years ago

I actually haven't come across any mods for the game -- what've you got?

#3 3 years ago

Have you installed the ColorDMD in your game?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

Have you installed the ColorDMD in your game?

I have not.... yet. Working on rounding up all the parts to do a full restoration. As far as mods go I have a buddy working on a Batman signal that projects under/behind the cabinet. Also a potential new code in the wings! Data East code guy has it on the shortlist

#5 3 years ago

as for mods, i found some of the original ertl diecast batman vehicles and added them to my machine. i have the purple joker van near the joker ramp and i added the batwing over near the museum. ill post some pictures later

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

as for mods, i found some of the original ertl diecast batman vehicles and added them to my machine. i have the purple joker van near the joker ramp and i added the batwing over near the museum. ill post some pictures later

I'd love to see that. I don't have a Data East batmobile but I heard that you can find diecast models that are better anyways.

#7 3 years ago

I hadn’t even considered the other ertl die cast cars - I only have the batmobile over the shooter lane the game came with.

I honestly can’t wait to get the pinsound setup in the game along with that new colordmd - am waiting on a sale!

#8 3 years ago

I have add both on my de batman pinball,.color dmd and pinsound.

Its like a remastered pinball

I love it!

#9 3 years ago

No love for data east batman? It was my first game. Thats the only reason I re bought it

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

I'd love to see that. I don't have a Data East batmobile but I heard that you can find diecast models that are better anyways.

The Batmobile is the original to the game except for a repaint and I added the led lights to it. I had the joker van and Batwing already in my diecasts collection, I decided they were better displayed in the pinball. I added the headlights to the joker van as well. I think it turned out great, looks like thats how it came.

IMG_2943 (resized).JPGIMG_2943 (resized).JPGIMG_2957 (resized).JPGIMG_2957 (resized).JPGIMG_2945 (resized).JPGIMG_2945 (resized).JPGIMG_2959 (resized).JPGIMG_2959 (resized).JPG

#11 3 years ago

Wow that look awesome!!great mods

#12 3 years ago

Wow - those die cast additions look great! how'd you attach the batwing and truck to your game?

Pat607 -- do you by chance have video of the colordmd installed? I would love to see how it looks!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

Wow - those die cast additions look great! how'd you attach the batwing and truck to your game?
pat607 -- do you by chance have video of the colordmd installed? I would love to see how it looks!

I made new plastics that the diecasts would fit better on then drilled some holes through the plastics and put screws into the diecasts

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCFfGsFD8QN/

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

I made new plastics that the diecasts would fit better on then drilled some holes through the plastics and put screws into the diecasts
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCFfGsFD8QN/

Clizifer - so you essentially made a mounting bracket for them? any chance you'd have a set of those to sell? I've got the bat mobile already in the game, but would love to add my van and batwing to the game.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

clizifer - so you essentially made a mounting bracket for them? any chance you'd have a set of those to sell? I've got the bat mobile already in the game, but would love to add my van and batwing to the game.

Just go to eBay - search Batman 1989 1/43

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Just go to eBay - search Batman 1989 Micro

Ive got the micro ones as well -- want to add the bigger ones, which I have I just would love the mounting brackets if they're available.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

Ive got the micro ones as well -- want to add the bigger ones!

Brackets are pretty easy to make right?

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Brackets are pretty easy to make right?

Never Attempted.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

clizifer - so you essentially made a mounting bracket for them? any chance you'd have a set of those to sell? I've got the bat mobile already in the game, but would love to add my van and batwing to the game.

I could easily reproduce the pieces I made if you want. I made them out of thicker plastic to support the weight of the diecasts and the joker one is a little bigger to accommodate the size of the van. Let me know if your interested.

I also have the micro Batman cars, I have them set up near the very top of the machine

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

I could easily reproduce the pieces I made if you want. I made them out of thicker plastic to support the weight of the diecasts and the joker one is a little bigger to accommodate the size of the van. Let me know if your interested.
I also have the micro Batman cars, I have them set up near the very top of the machine

Clizifer - would definitely be interested in those brackets, I thought maybe the batwing was just thick metal wire from the pic.

Add pics of the micro machine stuff - I think I see the mini-truck above the batwing.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

clizifer - would definitely be interested in those brackets, I thought maybe the batwing was just thick metal wire from the pic.
Add pics of the micro machine stuff - I think I see the mini-truck above the batwing.

I basically just made new thicker plexi glass pieces to screw the diecasts onto. I believe the one under the joker van is a bit wider to accommodate the wheelbase of the van, and the Batwing one is original size but thicker to hold the weight of the Batwing diecast. I thought I had more pictures of when I did it but I could only find a couple, the instagram video I posted it shows it all a bit better. I added the micro machine van above the Batwing and the Batmobile is in the same area on the opposite side. I added headlights and tail lights to the shooter lane Batmobile and just the headlights to the joker van, and also added an LED strip at the drain hole under the apron. Next I would like to convert the rest of the lights to LED as well

IMG_2889 (resized).JPGIMG_2889 (resized).JPGIMG_2909 (resized).JPGIMG_2909 (resized).JPG

Also the drop hole on the main ramp was broken so I made an aluminum cap for the end and added some foam tape to allow the ball to stop and drop

IMG_2905 (resized).JPGIMG_2905 (resized).JPGIMG_2906 (resized).JPGIMG_2906 (resized).JPGIMG_2907 (resized).JPGIMG_2907 (resized).JPG

#22 3 years ago

They look great - my ramp has a similar fix done to it. Sadly both of the ramps I have for the game are damaged in the same area.

Does anyone have the replacement Joker ramp installed? how'd you get stickers for it? peel off the older ones?

Has anyone tried protecting the ball drop area at the top of the playfield? I bought Cliffy's for them, but the forks just aren't long enough to cover the entire ball drop damaged area plus I've found that with them installed the balls would sometimes get stuck - I'd debated a piece of mylar over the worn out area.

#23 3 years ago

Pics of joker drop protector - plus cliffy install.

2ABAB9B0-CCB4-48C4-8268-165414B379A4 (resized).jpeg2ABAB9B0-CCB4-48C4-8268-165414B379A4 (resized).jpeg2B691BF5-9025-4BEE-B187-6BA9F20AE8B8 (resized).jpeg2B691BF5-9025-4BEE-B187-6BA9F20AE8B8 (resized).jpegE977C4E7-EC51-480E-BE39-13FE7E9DBD62 (resized).jpegE977C4E7-EC51-480E-BE39-13FE7E9DBD62 (resized).jpeg
#24 3 years ago

I also replaced the shooter rod with a custom emblem one sold on pinside, along with the lockdown bar label from titan pinball.

42E6EAF8-2AE2-4C3A-AF56-8FE30738F047 (resized).jpeg42E6EAF8-2AE2-4C3A-AF56-8FE30738F047 (resized).jpegA9D7F1D6-9E7C-46CB-995C-317B84556D9F (resized).jpegA9D7F1D6-9E7C-46CB-995C-317B84556D9F (resized).jpeg
#25 3 years ago

Mr_Tantrum also did up some Apron cards for me if anyones interested -- choice of cards here: http://aproncards.com/index.php/nggallery/pinball-apron-cards/batman-de

I think they turned out great - have his work installed on my DE JP as well, he does great work for those interested.

#26 3 years ago

Does anyone know for sure what the last ROM revisions made for the game were? there seems to be some confusion with the display rom in particular -- is it A1.02 or A1.06?

I've got a CPU Rom of A1.06 and display or A1.02.

1 week later
#27 3 years ago

Johnjn recommended I post my symptoms here. Soundboard is bubbling and certain sounds dont work properly making static noise. Not sure what to do.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CUBiCZh6SoCb4JK1x6FaTBN0BLNOyMRy/view?usp=drivesdk

Bizarre

20201112_220058 (resized).jpg20201112_220058 (resized).jpg
#28 3 years ago

My psu has scorch marks too... is anyone else have no connections to the bottom 2 pins

20201112_214627 (resized).jpg20201112_214627 (resized).jpg
#29 3 years ago
Quoted from ludikris:

My psu has scorch marks too... is anyone else have no connections to the bottom 2 pins
[quoted image]

That certainly isn't correct, there shouldn't be two pins hanging out there but I don't think those two pins have any wires coming out so you should be in the clear. It would be an obvious issue (not just a sound problem) if that affected anything. For sound issues I always go to the sound ROMs first, any issue in that region of the mpu?

#30 3 years ago

ludikris -- I would recommend cross-posting this in the other data east group as well

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.45.55 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.45.55 AM (resized).png
#31 3 years ago

I think this sound rom is toast... I guess I should fix this board and sell it if I decide to go with a pinsound... love those ! plus this galaxy phone takes great zoomed in board shots

20201113_095147 (resized).jpg20201113_095147 (resized).jpg

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from ludikris:

I think this sound rom is toast... I guess I should fix this board and sell it if I decide to go with a pinsound... love those ! plus this galaxy phone takes great zoomed in board shots
[quoted image]

I'd replace the DIP socket and the caps that are corroded. May be able to clean the legs on the EPROM but would probably just burn a new one for it.

#33 3 years ago

If anyone's on the fence regarding the ColorDMD for their game, I'd highly recommend it!

IMG_5567-1 (resized).jpegIMG_5567-1 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#34 3 years ago

Hey any one have a pic of cpu 3D and 5c and 5B please . Just have some mpu issues with a rotten dog

#35 3 years ago

I also just joined the DE Batman family. Really enjoying the game. Got lucky and found one here in Canada that seems to be a HUO variety, playfield is in great shape, ramps are all good, no wear at the ball drop area at top of playfield. Only issues are a missing post at entrance to the batcave and the wiring going to the Flugalheim seems to have dropped too low under the ramp and is making the ball get stuck in the right orbit shot. Must have been glued/stuck there and that has come undone. Have a couple of questions for the more experienced owners of this machine.

1. Is FREEZE just the ball-save? Don't see where you can adjust this in the adjustment menu. Seems to be a random thing that you get.......
2. When hitting the main ramp through the batcave, the ball often will go around and return to the shoot lane rather than returning to the right flipper. Is this normal? Seems the ramp wall by the diverter should be higher but maybe this is the design.

For those that have installed a colour DMD, is it a difficult procedure and where do you get one? Also the pinsound. Easy installation?

Thanks

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

I also just joined the DE Batman family. Really enjoying the game. Got lucky and found one here in Canada that seems to be a HUO variety, playfield is in great shape, ramps are all good, no wear at the ball drop area at top of playfield. Only issues are a missing post at entrance to the batcave and the wiring going to the Flugalheim seems to have dropped to low under the ramp and is making the ball get stuck in the right orbit shot. Must have been glued/stuck there and that has come undone. Have a couple of questions for the more experienced owners of this machine.
1. Is FREEZE just the ball-save? Don't see where you can adjust this in the adjustment menu. Seems to be a random thing that you get.......
2. When hitting the main ramp through the batcave, the ball often will go around and return to the shoot lane rather than returning to the right flipper. Is this normal? Seems the ramp wall by the diverter should be higher but maybe this is the design.
For those that have installed a colour DMD, is it a difficult procedure and where do you get one? Also the pinsound. Easy installation?
Thanks

1) Yes
2) No. It sounds like the ball is riding up the wall. Are you pitched at 6.5 degrees? Manual recommends starting with the rear legs halfway out.
3) ColorDMD installs are easy, buy them from ColorDMD. Not sure if they have a Canadian distributor to avoid int'l shipping.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

1) Yes
2) No. It sounds like the ball is riding up the wall. Are you pitched at 6.5 degrees? Manual recommends starting with the rear legs halfway out.
3) ColorDMD installs are easy, buy them from ColorDMD. Not sure if they have a Canadian distributor to avoid int'l shipping.

Thanks for the answers! I'll have to check the pitch........not sure but I think you're right, the machine isn't pitched enough. Is a pinsound mod recommended? Is the FREEZE function adjustable at all?

Thanks again for the insight.

3 weeks later
#38 3 years ago

happy new year! decided to redo my batman! first pin I bought and I did not know what I was doing so I paid too much and the playfield is destroyed...I have printed the files that are out there and sanded down the playfield. got a new joker ramp and I have really good graphics for it all thanks for all the members out there that have come before us. I am looking for hi-res images of the ball guide plastics and slingshots. Not sure if anyone has scanned this and are willing to share.

Also, I found all the decals "warning" decal for the inside of the cabinet and apron, but they are too low res to print. can anyone point me in the right direction?

#39 3 years ago

I am thinking of redoing my BATMAN DE in black and white with the colored lights and inserts. Any thoughts? has anyone tried this before? Stupid?

IMG_1425 (resized).jpgIMG_1425 (resized).jpg
#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Dviana01:

I am thinking of redoing my BATMAN DE in black and white with the colored lights and inserts. Any thoughts? has anyone tried this before? Stupid?
[quoted image]

Did Batman enter the twilight zone?

#41 3 years ago

Hey guys I made another set of the joker van and the batmobile, complete with lights and mounts. If anyones interested message me otherwise ill probably list them on ebay. thanks

IMG_3264 (resized).JPGIMG_3264 (resized).JPG
#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Dviana01:

[quoted image]

It's your game so do what you want to enjoy it, but I think the artwork is the coolest part of the game and would miss the color.

#43 3 years ago

choose to go with the color. framing the B&W one for my wall.

playfield is ready for clearcoat

IMG_1439 (resized).jpgIMG_1439 (resized).jpgIMG_1448 2 (resized).jpgIMG_1448 2 (resized).jpg
#44 3 years ago

Would you be willing to make the overlay available to the public?

1 week later
#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Dviana01:choose to go with the color. framing the B&W one for my wall.
playfield is ready for clearcoat[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Great!

#46 3 years ago

TeaHaus - congrats on getting the game in such good condition -- I grabbed my ColorDMD and my Pinsound setup directly from the manufacturers as I couldn't find anyone who had them locally, overall I would say both are super simple installs and you can find how-to's on YouTube if you're uncomfortable/unexperienced with these types of upgrades.

I would say my biggest issue with either install was the pinsound USB -- I'd done 2 installs (JP and Batman) and I wanted to save money on the thing so I bought the USB key from pinsound and did the converting on my own (which overall wasn't a big deal, just time consuming).

#47 3 years ago

If anyone is interested

Machine - For Sale
DE Batman (HUO) Archived
HUO - Undocumented (Home Used Only) - “2nd owner - Previous owner bought new and had in basement until moved. Super clean rare example of this game. Can provide references of those who have seen/played this game locally...”
2021-01-29
Cincinnati, OH
5,000 (OBO)
Archived after: 1 day
Viewed: 1146 times
Contributed to Pinside

#48 3 years ago

Wow that pin is in prestine condition!!

#49 3 years ago

A friend has a Data East Batman that I’ve been helping with. Game was sitting dead for a least 5 years in their basement. I went through the power supply and MPU (and installed) NVRAM an got the game up and running. Went back to help with lights that were out. We replaced 20 of the #89 flash lamps. It needs a few more but I had run out of lamps. Huge difference!

I was able to play a few games and I like it. Seems to be better than many of the reviews I’ve read.

Besides replacing a few more lamps there are a few more things to resolve.

- The left side of the DMD has one horizontal line out. I haven’t pulled that yet but does that sound like a cold solder joint or something in the display itself? Rest of the DMD looks good.

- The shooter rod is bent and not correct. Want to replace that, the spring, and sleeve. I’m not sure what should be there. Any recommended replacements?

- It had yellow Data East flippers but I can see one is cracked. A good source for the same yellow replacements?

Thank you.

#50 3 years ago

Hello, I got a Batman a few weeks ago and I've been going through it getting it cleaned up. I need to replace 2 pop bumpers. Can I replace the 23-800 coils on the pop bumpers with 26-1200? The reason I ask is because I want to replace the entire assemblies and I can get some with 26-1200 already on them. If I get these assemblies should I change the coils?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-batman-club-og-batman- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.