74HC74-pinout.jpg
DA.png
74LS374.jpg
200.gif
download.jpg
gallery_285847_1207_24669.gif
HD74LS138-pinout.jpg
HD74LS374-pinout.jpg
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 8 years ago

Good job. This reminds me of a sound issue with a Neo Geo I had. It took me 6 month of searching to figure out that a plated through-hole was not connected from top to bottom through the board. Sometimes there aren't any visual clues that traces are broken on a board. It can take a long time to track those sorts of things down. Keep in mind, with pinball boards, it's usually a connection, before it's a failed component.

#202 8 years ago

Smiled when I saw the "resolved/answered" checkmark next to this topic this morning. Congrats!

#203 8 years ago

OH YEA ! We got er buddys! Resident experts so to speak.... So sweet of a victory.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tastes good! lol Thanks again for sticking with me. And thanks to all well wishers.
Cheers

#204 8 years ago

I always reflow solder over all boards first thing. Call me OCD, but i bet it has saved me from a few of these issues. Also, DE cut stuff really close to the PCB, and I'v seen more than a few solder pads on DE boards with barely enough (the opposite problem of everyone else), especially on ICs, those tiny little pads they used....

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

OH YEA ! We got er buddys! Resident experts so to speak.... So sweet of a victory.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tastes good! lol Thanks again for sticking with me. And thanks to all well wishers.
Cheers

Yep, I don't consider myself an expert in pinball games like some of the guys here (John, Chris, Andrew, to name a few, missing plenty of others), but I know how to read schematics and have played around with enough ICs over the past 12+ years of my interest in electronics to know some common stuff to take a crack at it. Also, none of these people are douchers, more importantly, no question is stupid, no one ever makes anyone feel dumb.

#206 8 years ago

Agreed! Whats with that . Should have left the legs long and flowed more solder . Thats first thing to do on all non working DE sound boards from now on!
Upon first glance it looked good but if you got really close with good light the truth became apparent.

Weird thing was it pin checked good and it was the side of the board with the traces!!!!. THERE WAS NO TRACE ON THE OTHER SIDE..... Really weird.

#207 8 years ago

I agree. there are no stupid questions. Only stupid people. Was something my drafting teacher used to say. Wise man!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#208 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

I agree. there are no stupid questions. Only stupid people. Was something my drafting teacher used to say. Wise man!

I'm stupid.

#209 8 years ago

I am curious as to how you initially conducted your continuity tests. Did you use the board component side going from pin to pin and pin to component to where pressure on the bad pin caused a faulty continuity pass?

Do you think that if you used a logic probe checking device outputs with device inputs you might have discovered the problem earlier or would pressure from the login probe on the bad pin make for a false positive result?

This was a lengthy process for you and I congratulate you and your helpers in sticking to the problem until the solution was identified.

#210 8 years ago

I use both sides of the board when pin/trace checking. Any real pressure from a test device would give a false positive from either side. It was an odd one for sure.
now I need to fix my 2 display boards for data east games.

#211 8 years ago

No more repairs. Its milla time (figuratively, hope you're drinking something better)!
hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Easier to ask/answer a stupid question, then to fix a stupid mistake...

#213 8 years ago

Budweiser and pinball... mmmmmm beer lol

3 years later
#214 5 years ago

If it would be a cpu issue and not a sound board issue, what might be suspect on the cpu?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-bad-sound-board-has-music-no-voices-any-ideas/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.