New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276318)

Data East Back To The Future Flipper Assembly Diagram?

By jimgravina

56 days ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 days ago by jimgravina
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SIMPSONS FLIPPER ASSEMBLY (resized).JPG
08 (resized).JPG

#1 56 days ago

While looking through the manual, I do not see a diagram, schematic, etc of the flipper assembly. I see one for everything else in the game, just not the flippers.

On the second to last page, there is this (attached) but no exploded diagram for the flippers which would show the coil, springs, hub, armature, coil stop, etc along with their part numbers.

Can anyone help me track this down?

Thanks,
Jim

08 (resized).JPG
#2 56 days ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Can anyone help me track this down?

Check other DE manuals or Stern ones with the same assembly.

LTG : )

#3 56 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check other DE manuals

I mainly need it to see the part numbers...i'm afraid to go off of specs from other games, even if they are DE pins....

#4 56 days ago

I was able to find this for DE THE SIMPSONS, which does look exactly like my BTTF flipper assembly...I just don't know if the parts are exactly the same. For example, I see the coil on the SIMPSONS pin is 090-5020-30, but I also know there is a 5020-20 variant for example of the flipper coil. I don't want to go by the coils installed in my game, because I don't think they are original and would really like to get accurate replacement parts.

Thanks!
Jim

SIMPSONS FLIPPER ASSEMBLY (resized).JPG
#5 56 days ago

Both flipper coils on the Simpsons should be # 090-5020-20 (a.k.a. 22-900).

#6 56 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Both flipper coils on the Simpsons should be # 090-5020-20 (a.k.a. 22-900).

That kinda of proves my point a bit...the flipper assembly from my post above IS for THE SIMPSONS, which in fact shows a 090-5020-30 coil in the diagram...NOT a 5020-20.

What are the differences between the 5020-20 and the 5020-30 anyways?

#7 56 days ago

All of the later Stern Pinball manuals have an appendix at the end of the manual listing flipper coils for every Data East/Sega/Stern pinball machine. It specifically says Data East Simpsons uses 090-5020-20 (22-900) flipper coils.

According to the pinball medic coil chart, here are the differences between the coils:

090-5020-20 = 22 gauge wire, 900 turns, coil resistance 3.4 ohms

090-5020-30 = 23 gauge wire, 900 turns, coil resistance 3.8 ohms

So the -30 coil uses smaller gauge wire and hence would be weaker than the -20 coil.

#8 55 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

All of the later Stern Pinball manuals have an appendix at the end of the manual listing flipper coils for every Data East/Sega/Stern pinball machine.

Thank you for that, that’s good information right there. Do you happen to know what it shows the proper could is for the Back To The Future pin? That’s really what I am after...

Thank you!
Jim

#9 55 days ago

It shows that machine using 090-5020-20 flipper coils.

#10 55 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It shows that machine using 090-5020-20 flipper coils.

Thank you! Looks like previous owner installed 5020-30 coils. I need to redo them so wanted to make sure I put on what is required for the game. Mind sending me a link to where you found that? Thank you again!!

Jim

#12 55 days ago

And there it is! Thank you very much!!

Jim

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canfield, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne, VIC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Palm Beach, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Québec, QC
$ 50.00
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside