• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200107_143413 (resized).jpg
20200107_143416 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I am having some problems with my MSF lighting up but not starting. After testing the power supply board I found some voltage differences at the test points and at the LM723 regulator. So I was going to replace the regulator and at the same time upgrade the capacitors. When I dumped out the replacement capacitor set I bought from Yorktownparts.com they look the same as the ones on the board. See photo. The only difference I see is that the old ones are 85c 25 volt degree and the new ones are 105c degree 35 volt. Does it look like they have already been replaced?
Thanks, Tom

20200107_143413 (resized).jpg20200107_143413 (resized).jpg20200107_143416 (resized).jpg20200107_143416 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I can’t answer all your questions, but the new caps are ok as replacements. For caps, an increase in voltage rating is ok, as long as the capacitance is the same.

Never replace an original cap with a lower voltage rated cap. The smoke will likely escape.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks Billc479 for the reply. That is good information. Now I just need to find out if they have been replaced already.

#4 4 years ago

If you don’t have a capacitance checker to verify if a cap is bad, look closely at the solder joints. How do they compare to others on the board? If they look the same, then likely they are original.

Do any of the caps look swollen or have crystals or powder under them? If so, that’s a bad cap.

#5 4 years ago

A leaky cap is just as bad as leaky batteries. It will eat the traces...

#6 4 years ago

When I replace board caps I have 3 specifications which I can almost always meet.

1) Same capacitance rating as original
2) Not manufactured in China
3) Same physical size as the original

Like yours, this almost always results in a capacitor with a higher voltage and temperature rating than the originals.

#7 4 years ago

Always good to use 105 degree capacitors vs 85 degree, but there are some real scum out there. For the most part if the new capacitor is physically larger than the old with the same ratings, it's likely a piece of crap. A good quality capacitor will always be smaller than scum every time for the same part rating.
Easy to look at the solder connections to see if the parts have been changed normally.
Some capacitors also have a code date on them, like 4618, which would mean it was made 46th week of 2018 for example

#8 4 years ago

Thank you all for your reply's. Looking at the caps I can not find a date code. All of the traces and solder pads for the caps look like original solder so I will be replacing the caps with the newer higher voltage caps. It does look like all of the pin / power connectors have been replaced. Now I just need to wait for the 14 pin IC socket to come in, and by this time next week I hope to working on the original short that blew this board originally.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-520-5047-03-ps-for-msf-capacitor-question?hl=ronkz650 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.