• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo(4).JPG
photo(3).JPG
#1 13 years ago

I have a DE Star Wars Machine and recently I've developed a problem with the DMD gets horizontal static like lines across it.. It doesn't happen most of the time.. however it happens usually when you hit "The Force". It also happens at other times.. but very random. The game plays perfect besides this. I included a picture. Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

photo(3).JPGphoto(3).JPG

#2 13 years ago

Loose cables maybe?? Try to reseat the ribbons/connectors going to the display/backbox boards.

#3 13 years ago

Money is on reseating the ribbon cables, as stated by tomdotcom. Some of the power connectors to the dot matrix might be loose? I'd just unplug and replug the connectors to make sure. The important thing is the DMD powers on at least.

#4 13 years ago

Wow! thanks for the fast reply guys! I tried what you said... it didn't help.. so i followed them all and reseated the other ends. This, improved it dramatically.. still happens a little. I noticed a missing screw on the power supply board right under the CN5X7 connector (RottenDog). And what do you know?!?! a trace runs right to this missing screw from the connector for ground. SO I'm going to head to the hardware store tomorrow and get a screw... I'm thinking thats the problem! I'll keep you posted! Thanks again!

#5 13 years ago

So I replaced the missing screw.. and now it's worse then ever.. anything else that you know of that could cause such interference? It seems to happen mainly during "The Force" and the sarlac pit... when the ball is bouncing around the pop bumpers.

#6 13 years ago

Try using some pliers or vice grips to re-crimp the plastic ends on the ribbon cable connectors. Sometimes they get loose. Be gentle and don't crush/break them.

#7 13 years ago

The vibration from these could be causing it due to a loose connector as BD said. Also, check the diodes to make sure they are still connected well to the solenoids. Maybe an intermittent connection is causing the interference?

#8 13 years ago

I gave all the clips a good squeeze and checked the diodes on all the solenoids. No luck, same problem. I'm lost! I don't see anything or even know what to do from here. I've included another picture. Thank you so much for all the suggestions guys!

photo(4).JPGphoto(4).JPG

It is always more along the bottom of the screen.. sometimes it goes up to the top...

#9 13 years ago

Is it possible to be the EPROM a1.05 chip? thats on the display board? since it happens almost always on the same two screens?

#10 13 years ago

Yes it could be a dirty socket. I take it you have tried to remove and reseat that display eprom IC ? It has to be a connection problem somewhere and not in the display itself. It could though be a flaky display eprom that is right on the edge of working or one of the DMD pal chips flaking out. Fortunately they are all available for download on ipdb.

REMOVE AND RESEAT ANYTHING IN A SOCKET

P.S. PAL = Programmable Array Logic

#11 13 years ago

Yes i removed and replaced the IC. I just ordered a new eprom for $10, i figured it's a fair price if it works.. and if not, its only $10! Hope that is it.. I wish I had another machine to swap some parts around and test it out..

Sorry to sound dumb. (i'm new to this stuff, but understand a decent amount of electronics)
Is a PAL chip something that is easy to replace? is it on the DMD board? I've only noticed one removable chip on it. And one empty socket, from what i understand this was for an earlier version of the table. what would I do with the downloaded files? Assuming i would need some kind of programmer and a blank chip.

#12 13 years ago

Today, as usual when i get home, i sat down to play a couple of games.. and it worked perfectly. The only thing different is humidity. Today it's very comfortable.. and the past week or so it has been unbearably humid. How is it possible that this is affecting the interference? or is this just a crazy coincidence?

#13 13 years ago

I received the new EPROM today, while it seems slightly better, the interference is still there. Where should I head next? Could the Rottendog replacement power supply possibly be causing this?

#14 13 years ago

To me, I would still go with a loose connection -somewhere-.
Since you tried reseating the ribbon cables with no help, you may have a bad cable.

Ed

4 months later
#15 13 years ago

Finally, An Update!
I just purchased a rebuilt original power supply for my machine and the problem is gone! There really was nothing else it could have been, i went through the whole machine, so i bit it and took a gamble. The aftermarket power supply just didn't cut it!

#16 13 years ago

I'm glad you FINALLY got the fix and peace of mind. It just goes to show that no matter how much others try to make a universal replacement there can be things involved that will never be taken into account and provide the performance the original can.

Don't be too mad at them .. if it wasn't for vendors making substitutes we'd have alot more machines scrapped out forever.

1 week later
#17 13 years ago

I'm not too mad... But I've have read alot of good things about the same company's PPS boards.. can't say i would rule them out if i ever need one.. but i would definitely go for rebuilt first next time..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-dot-matrix-interference and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.