2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinstadium
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0146 (resized).JPG
    image-26 (resized).jpg
    20170517_223234 (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    rob_zombie_spookshow_pinball_led_lighting (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_5853 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5842 (resized).JPG
    13502DF8-3D2B-403D-B334-53074FB6B991 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4050 (resized).JPG
    woz_led_lighting_pinball (resized).png
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I guess I don't get why people turn the lights off to play and then complain that the pin is too dark. Is it some function of "I used to play pinball in a dank ass bowling alley in the 80s, so I can't properly get off unless it's dark" ?

Well that has something to do with it...which is why I don't play in the dark because I grew up in lit arcades.
    At some point you have to just be happy you have better eye sight than half the people on Pinside apparently.
    Before this it was adding a bunch of spotlights everywhere...then it was "I hate LEDs they make the ball hard to see;" I've only had issues with a could games not being able to see and they are weird games.
    Right now I think we're just caught up in an unprecedented "pimp my ride" era that's juts out of control.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I guess I don't get why people turn the lights off to play and then complain that the pin is too dark. Is it some function of "I used to play pinball in a dank ass bowling alley in the 80s, so I can't properly get off unless it's dark" ?
    My gameroom has adequate lighting that does a fine job of making things easy enough to see without creating any glare issues.

As with anything it's all about personal preference, and nowadays with this wonderful technology it allows us to make our pinballs more of a presentation by playing them in a darker room. It reminds me of a movie theater, it is always best with the lights off as it creates more contrast for the eye and delivers more of a focal point visually. It is nice to have the option to play it the way you do with your lights on and then even with them off.

I mean some people are happy with DMD's and others want ColorDMDs, and some one LCD's with better animations. I personally like the progression and options. Especially with the things you have created, the IM at Chicago was killer and I love my CCC!

Plus a properly lit pinball day or night, is just plain amazing. Ambient light is not enough to truly bring out the colors and graphics of a game. It surely works, but it can also be improved a great deal too. Imagine the playfield as a stage and if you can dial in the lighting just for that scene, it makes a huge difference.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well that has something to do with it...which is why I don't play in the dark because I grew up in lit arcades.
    At some point you have to just be happy you have better eye sight than half the people on Pinside apparently.
    Before this it was adding a bunch of spotlights everywhere...then it was "I hate LEDs they make the ball hard to see;" I've only had issues with a could games not being able to see and they are weird games.
    Right now I think we're just caught up in an unprecedented "pimp my ride" era that's juts out of control.

I agree, running spotlights is a chore and still where they don't shine it makes for more contrast between dark and light. Same with the LED's, I ran into the same issues. GI bulbs sit about 1/4 inch above the playfield and inlay lights are recessed. There is no way to get coverage with that. At that point you are chasing your own tail on lighting and dropping a lot of money to really only get okay results.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah these definitely add more bling to the game. But as I mentioned before. These will also give much needed brightness to the game for people that stream. Right now to get the proper lighting on my games to stream, I need to blast them with a big halogen work lamp. With Pinstadium, none of that is necessary. Just another plus for this product that makes the price worth it for me.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

But as I mentioned before. These will also give much needed brightness to the game for people that stream.

Bowen, SDTM, Dead Flip don;t seem to have any issues.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

haven't watched SDTM, but Bowen definitely uses extra lighting and the game looks great in his stuff. For dead flip, when he plays on location especially, sometimes the game looks pretty dark. Not sure if he brings extra lighting or what, but unless the room is extremely well lit, extra lighting is needed in my experience (pretty big noob at streaming so far, but I am learning)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134112308 on location dead flip. pretty hard to read the inserts and some of the playfield.

Just saying for me, this lighting system will make my streaming setup a lot less cumbersome and much easier to go from game to game. Definitely a down side is that each game will not have the lighting in it, but just another option people have. that's good.

#58 2 years ago

So I run into this. My basement has one overhead bulb near the stairs, away from the game. I usually leave that on but keep the overhead utility light (flourescent long tubes) off. If I put the floursecent light on I get wicked glare.

Long run I need better basement lighting but the ceiling is sealed so that could get really expensive.

#59 2 years ago

I find the most mass produced pinball machine ever to be not very well lit.

image-3 (resized).jpg

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Dead Flip saw the Pin Stadium kits in action in Trent's Aerosmith Premium and on Bride of Pinbot 2.0 at Kallamazoo a few weekends ago. He loved them and he wants a set for his filming of the games. He said it was the one thing he was missing. Be on the lookout for them shortly on his videos.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

So I run into this. My basement has one overhead bulb near the stairs, away from the game. I usually leave that on but keep the overhead utility light (flourescent long tubes) off. If I put the floursecent light on I get wicked glare.
    Long run I need better basement lighting but the ceiling is sealed so that could get really expensive.

When I designed the Pin Stadium kits, it was because I had the same issue as you and it motivated me to come up with a solution. I totally know where you are coming from.

#62 2 years ago

Judge Dredd is dark in the middle .

20170517_223234 (resized).jpg

#63 2 years ago

Xenon is really bad.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from Soapman:

Judge Dredd is dark in the middle .

I had a Judge Dredd and this is what I refer to as a "black hole" in playfield lighting. It's in every game, used to drive me nuts. I even own many newer games too and each one of them used to have this.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Xenon is really bad.

I have not seen that or played it. I'll have to look into that one. Thanks

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

That is the one machine I really struggled with for some time, and I even was adding spotlights left and right to it. However the issues I had was that where the spotlights weren't shining it created an even darker contrast in those areas. I do have a B&A of mine with the Pin Stadium kits installed. I also used this on our gallery http://pinstadium.com/gallery/ for an example for our customers.

I like the darker one. I think it looks kind of ridiculous all lit up. Just turn the overhead lighting on. The darkness creates the vibe.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

I have Brady's at my house. You'll see it Saturday.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

Half of one side doesn't even have GI lights that stay on. Only a flasher that a almost never comes on.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Half of one side doesn't even have GI lights that stay on. Only a flasher that a almost never comes on.

I did end up seeing the Xenon this weekend. You guys were right it was a dark dark machine. It could use some help.

#70 2 years ago

You got these in incandescent yet?

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You got these in incandescent yet?

We have designed them to replicate the incadescent look as you can control warm whites brightness from 0-100% in case you want to go for the vintage look. I hope this is what you were asking.

#72 2 years ago

dude Party Zone red GI is killer, kinda like when they turn the lights out in a club lol.

image-26 (resized).jpg

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

dude Party Zone red GI is killer, kinda like when they turn the lights out in a club lol.

Wow I think you just put up the darkest one yet!! That's insanely black.

#74 2 years ago

Transformers is a dark game.

#75 2 years ago

Would you mind posting up a pic of it ?

#76 2 years ago

Batman is too.

IMG_0146 (resized).JPG

#77 2 years ago

Good call on the Batman, geeze that thing looks asleep in the dark. I'm definitely going to consider some some before and afters of the Pin Stadium kits on those. Thanks!

#78 2 years ago

Anyone have any others that they would like to share?

#79 2 years ago

Capcom Pinball Magic ... Had to add rear light strip and spots

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Capcom Pinball Magic ... Had to add rear light strip and spots

You are a the 2nd person to mention this machine. I need to look into that one more as it seems to be very known for its dark areas. Thanks.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

. I need to look into that one more as it seems to be very known for its dark areas. Thanks.

I use 4smd Comet bulbs , light strip on the side by pop bumper... Still dark!

image (resized).jpeg

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Wow, I see that this game is really struggling with lighting! Thanks for posting that. Bottom line is that most every pinball does suffer from appropriate lighting simply due to the fact that the lights are mounted flush or only a 1/4 inch above (the height of the bulb housing). But some are much worse than others.

I used the 4SMD bulbs and they are quality LED's, (as with any of Comet's products) but I experienced same issues you had too.

I would love to see one of our Pin Stadium kits on your game as I think it would be a dramatics result. Plus the playfield artwork is just really great on that machine.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

I would love to see one of our Pin Stadium kits on your game

How are these units installed? How do they connect to my boards? Are they compatible with LED OCD? Is the lighting colour changeable?

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

How are these units installed? How do they connect to my boards? Are they compatible with LED OCD? Is the lighting colour changeable?

The Pin Stadium kits are installed above the playfield on the inside wall of your cabinet, just below the glass line with our Magna-Mount system. So no drilling or screws and easily removed. You can control the colors and brightness with our app wirelessly as they generate their own wifi signal to allow connection to any iPhone/Android device

They come with game specific adapters (for power) that plug into your PCB with a piggy back for your original factory harness. Just like the adapter you would get with a ColorDMD. Takes about 5 minutes to install. You can get more info at www.pinstadium.com otherwise you can PM me here email me at info@pinstadium.com

Thanks,

Scott

#85 2 years ago

What other pinballs does anyone else have that stands out as being extremely dark and bothersome?

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

We have designed them to replicate the incadescent look as you can control warm whites brightness from 0-100% in case you want to go for the vintage look. I hope this is what you were asking.

I was actually being a smart-ass, but I like that answer! That's cool.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I was actually being a smart-ass, but I like that answer! That's cool.

Okay I wasn't sure, I get asked a lot of questions. Glad it helped

3 weeks later
    #88 2 years ago

Speaking of the dark side, has anyone see how the illumination is on the new Star Wars?

4 months later
    #89 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

This just got posted with Pinball Magic by bobukcat with the Pin Stadiums lights. Thought you might appreciate this.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 50.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 15.95
    $ 159.99
    $ 67.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MicksPinball
    $ 189.99
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside