Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinstadium
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0146 (resized).JPG
    image-26 (resized).jpg
    20170517_223234 (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    rob_zombie_spookshow_pinball_led_lighting (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_5853 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5842 (resized).JPG
    13502DF8-3D2B-403D-B334-53074FB6B991 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4050 (resized).JPG
    woz_led_lighting_pinball (resized).png
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I am curious as it comes up a lot, but what would you say is the darkest and most non-illuminated pinball in your collection? I am trying to get some feedback on this from others that have personal experience with this so that I am able to get some of our kits in these games for our website before and afters for our Pin Stadium kits. Any pics (no room lights or flash just natural lighting) you can post would be great too so that I can see them from your perspectives. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

My Data East Star Trek seems kind of dark.

#3 6 years ago

Photos you asked for.

20170430_205752 (resized).jpg20170430_205752 (resized).jpg

20170430_205820 (resized).jpg20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

20170502_171951 (resized).jpg20170502_171951 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

When you play it, do you have the lights in the room on?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Radrog:

Photos you asked for.

Thanks for posting these, can you take a pic of them with the lights off and no flash?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

No

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

Thanks for posting these, can you take a pic of them with the lights off and no flash?

Ok. I'll have to wait for tonight. The room is bright at day time.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

Tough to see the playfield that way. I have to have at least some dim lights on.

#9 6 years ago

Mine was by far WOZ, My game room is dark so I had no option but to install the pinball bulbs illumination kit. It made a huge difference.

I've added spotlights to most of my games, because they all seem to have their dark spots...

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Radrog:

Ok. I'll have to wait for tonight. The room is bright at day time.

Okay, thanks I look forward to see how it looks.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

With the nine games powered up. There doesn't seem to be a problem when I play at night.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Tough to see the playfield that way. I have to have at least some dim lights on.

Yes, I was wondering what you might do as I have heard that game is dark but personally have not played one in person.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

Mine was by far WOZ, My game room is dark so I had no option but to install the pinball bulbs illumination kit. It made a huge difference.
    I've added spotlights to most of my games, because they all seem to have their dark spots...

That is the one machine I really struggled with for some time, and I even was adding spotlights left and right to it. However the issues I had was that where the spotlights weren't shining it created an even darker contrast in those areas. I do have a B&A of mine with the Pin Stadium kits installed. I also used this on our gallery http://pinstadium.com/gallery/ for an example for our customers.

woz_led_lighting_pinball (resized).pngwoz_led_lighting_pinball (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

For me, it's Earthshaker. The fault divider does a great job at darkening the upper playfield, and the ramps that run over the plastic light shields block a fair amount of GI light as well.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

For me, it's Earthshaker. The fault divider does a great job at darkening the upper playfield, and the ramps that run over the plastic light shields block a fair amount of GI light as well.

I was looking at the pics of the game and I see what you are talking about. Do you normally play it with overhead lighting on?

#16 6 years ago

I'd say Shadow and Dialed In.

#17 6 years ago

I saw Dialed In at the VFW show and thought the same thing, it was very dark.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

That is the one machine I really struggle with for some time, and I even was adding spotlights left and right to it. However the issues I had was that where the spotlights weren't shining it created an even darker contrast in those areas. I do have a B&A of mine and I used this on our gallery http://pinstadium.com/gallery/ for an example for our customers.

Damn! That looks Awesome! looks like more money will be leaving my wallet soon....

#19 6 years ago

I think mine are in the category of "could benefit from improved lighting".

Potc and white water.

That said all the personal versions I have played in collections were lit up amazing.

One friend has a pirates that is so freaking lit up I love it.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

Damn! That looks Awesome! looks like more money will be leaving my wallet soon....

Glad you like them, it is a game changer literally. I have 3 of the 4 games you listed and put them on those also and the results were incredible. Particularly I did the blue flasher feature and it really when well with WH2O. Here is a video of that:

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Any chance you can post a pic of it without any room lights on or a flash? If you have time as I would like to see what you are seeing. Thanks.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

I was looking at the pics of the game and I see what you are talking about. Do you normally play it with overhead lighting on?

I do. My game room has recessed overhead lighting, but where my Earthshaker is placed, there's no light directly overhead (I try to align my games between the lights to reduce glare).

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

Any chance you can post a pic of it without any room lights on or a flash? If you have time as I would like to see what you are seeing. Thanks.

Happy to do it. It will be later this evening.

#24 6 years ago

After seeing the Pinstadium kit at PATZ and the VFW all my pins are too dark. I would say the darkest was my Rob Zombie. I would have loved to have this kit on that machine, well and all my others.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

Glad you like them, it is a game changer literally. I have 3 of the 4 games you listed and put them on those also and the results were incredible. Particularly I did the blue flasher feature and it really when well with WH2O. Here is a video of that:
    » YouTube video

This is stunning!

#26 6 years ago

Black Pyramid

#27 6 years ago

TAF is pretty dark in certain areas. I enjoy the game, but its sometimes a drawback.

#28 6 years ago

What do you do to get around the darkness? Overhead lights or still play it in the dark?

#29 6 years ago

All games without lights in the inlanes come to mind. Jungle queen, big guns, Cftbl...

#30 6 years ago

Good point!

CFTBL used to be very dark, and in fact it was one of my first projects for resolving the lighting issue with that machine.

#31 6 years ago

I have not seen Jungle Queen yet.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

I have not seen Jungle Queen yet.

I'll have one in the next month or so. It's an EM so not the best candidate for this imo.

#33 6 years ago

Water World

#34 6 years ago

Lethal Weapon 3
    Fire!

I'll try and remember to post pics of them tonight.

#35 6 years ago

In newish games Transformers is dark game even with adding Twins from Comet the game is still pretty black.

#36 6 years ago

Space Invaders

#37 6 years ago

WOZ for me as well. I went the cheap route and installed some star post LEDs.

IMG_4050 (resized).JPGIMG_4050 (resized).JPG

13502DF8-3D2B-403D-B334-53074FB6B991 (resized).jpg13502DF8-3D2B-403D-B334-53074FB6B991 (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

WOZ for me as well. I went the cheap route and installed some star post LEDs.

Yep looks like my early stages of illumination investigation with my WOZ. I would put bright bulbs or spotlights in only to see the areas where they weren't shining to seem even darker which at times made the game harder to play.

Reminded me of driving in and out of tunnels on a sunny day.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinstadium:

Yep looks like my early stages of illumination investigation with my WOZ. I would put bright bulbs or spotlights in only to see the areas where they weren't shining to seem even darker which at times made the game harder to play.
    Reminded me of driving in and out of tunnels on a sunny day.

By the flippers was my only real issue with light. I have a I500 that makes my WOZ look like a modern Stern.

#40 6 years ago

NGG. Even with all of the spotlights they put in that pin it's very dark.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

NGG. Even with all of the spotlights they put in that pin it's very dark.

My buddy just picked a NGG up last week and you are right it is extremely dark also, agreed. Good call.

#42 6 years ago

Pinball Magic is a dark game I wish was a little brighter

#43 6 years ago

I played that game a while back at a pinball party and it did have many dark areas.

#44 6 years ago

IMG_5842 (resized).JPGIMG_5842 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5853 (resized).JPGIMG_5853 (resized).JPG

Lights off in basement. Not as bad as I thought, but fires GI is all Optimax bulbs which are the brightest bulbs available and are super expensive.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Avi8er:

I'd say Shadow and Dialed In.

Here's the Shadow.
    I have frosted Sunlight LEDs in the GI and inserts.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#46 6 years ago

TAF

One on the darkest games

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lights off in basement. Not as bad as I thought, but fires GI is all Optimax bulbs which are the brightest bulbs available and are super expensive.

Thanks for posting that, it makes a good point of what bright lights do to the areas where they can't reach. Looks great where they can though, however the contrast is more significant.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

Here's the Shadow.
    I have frosted Sunlight LEDs in the GI and inserts.

That's right on with the Shadow being in the shadows, I see what you mean. Thanks for posting that.

#49 6 years ago

Spooky pinball is crazy Spooky dark. Charlie saw these and said he was "Damn Impressed". Maybe the darkest one pin I have seen yet.

rob_zombie_spookshow_pinball_led_lighting (resized).pngrob_zombie_spookshow_pinball_led_lighting (resized).png

#50 6 years ago

I guess I don't get why people turn the lights off to play and then complain that the pin is too dark. Is it some function of "I used to play pinball in a dank ass bowling alley in the 80s, so I can't properly get off unless it's dark" ?

My gameroom has adequate lighting that does a fine job of making things easy enough to see without creating any glare issues.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/darkest-pinballs-in-your-opinion/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.