Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by paintpins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2849 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2844 (resized).jpg
    BillyMays-trimmed1 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

New replacement pop bumpercaps are very bright. Alot brighter than old caps. Anyone else notice the difference? Any way to "age" the new caps?

#2 7 years ago

Are you using incandescents or LEDs.

What brand cap (Bally, WMS, Gottlieb etc.)?

#3 7 years ago

Sorry, incandescent #47,s. I have heard of soaking them in tea.

#4 7 years ago

Odd, most of us are looking for fresh white over dull old yellowed plastic.

A #51 lamp will put out less light than a 47.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Odd, most of us are looking for fresh white over dull old yellowed plastic.
    A #51 lamp will put out less light than a 47.

I'm having this problem on two of my games. On my Far Out only one of the caps was cracked, so I replaced it, and now it stands out from the others.

On my Black Jack, I've purchased all new pop bumper parts, except for caps, which makes the caps (which aren't bad) stand out against the white bodies, but if I replace the caps it'll make the caps stand out against the aged, yellowed plastics. Sometimes I'd rather yellow a few cheap new parts...

#6 7 years ago

You could always smoke about 20,000 cigarettes and blow the smoke on the part. Or you can buy all new bodies, then replace all of the posts because of the contrast. Then those lane guides look out of place, so replace them. Pretty soon Steve Young and yourself are talking buddies. My real advice is if you don't go this route try to find used parts.

#7 7 years ago

On drop targets, I have used 8 bags of tea and soaked for 2-3 days. I got the result I wanted. Not a perfect match but a lot closer than pure white.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

I have used 8 bags of tea and soaked for 2-3 days. I got the result I wanted.

Wow, that's interesting! I wonder how they wood look soaked in dark Beer?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

I wonder how they wood look soaked in dark Beer?

you're supposed to drink the beer while staining in the tea.

I do wonder if you could use Rit dye or something similar

--Jeff

#10 7 years ago

If there is a significant mismatch, I just replace the body as well as the cap. Then sell the body if it's still in good shape. Someone might want it who has a damaged body, but good cap.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

you're supposed to drink the beer while staining in the tea.

Ooh...thats wut I wuz doin wrong. no wonder I have not had a decent hangover in months...
    Thanks for clearin that up for me Jeff!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I do wonder if you could use Rit dye or something similar

Probably....Rit will dye anything made out of nylon. Flipper bats, modern pop bumper bodies and wafers, nylon acorn nuts.....put the dye and water in an old pot you don't care about and get a wire strainer and put the parts in there so they don't touch the bottom of the pan and heat it up.

Be ready for some trial and error though. The longer and hotter you boil the parts in the dye, the more saturated the color will be. If you want a lighter dye, dilute with MORE WATER and make sure it's mixed completely before you do anything, unless you want splotchy results.

Not sure what the best way to go about this would be really....pretty sure they have both yellow and brown liquid dye, which is what I've used in the past.

#13 7 years ago

Ugh, make all the white plastic fresh and new and replace it. IMO, you're blowing a chance to have it looking as close to new as it can since it was made.

#14 7 years ago

I've used the tea method on replacement bumper bodies. I don't think I used eight bags, but I did let them soak for two weeks for the effect to be permanent. I looked after a few days, and they were aged looking, but the "effect" wiped right off with my finger. After two weeks in the tea, it wouldn't wipe off anymore.

#15 7 years ago

I did the opposite and whiten the old plastic. Used Oxy clean, Hydrogen Peroxide and leaving it all day in the sun.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-goodbye-to-old-yellowed-plastics

#16 7 years ago

BillyMays-trimmed1 (resized).jpgBillyMays-trimmed1 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Yeah, he bit the big one!

#18 7 years ago

I just started a Facebook page to sell off my parts stash. Lots of used vintage parts with that patina you only see on old original stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/PreservationPinballParts/?ref=bookmarks

IMG_2844 (resized).jpgIMG_2844 (resized).jpg

IMG_2849 (resized).jpgIMG_2849 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/darken-new-white-em-pop-bumper-caps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.