Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TVP
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 21.03.24.png
    unicorn-rainbow-1.jpg
    gringo-fear-1.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Has there ever been any thought to have the website display a black/dark background instead of bright white? Or have an option to do so?

I am sure there are people that read pinside in maybe a darker room, on a larger LCD monitor and the site can come across as somewhat blinding.

Two examples of sites with darker backgrounds are:

http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/

I know I can change PC settings but the above websites are comfortable to read.

Just curious and Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Honestly have not noticed (in a dark room I turn brightness down), but there is truth to what you say. I have taken some courses on presenting, and web, and the do mention bright white, and ways to soften.

I guess I am cool with how the site is, incredible really!

Hey everyone, make a quick donation if you love pinside, any amount keeps this thing alive!

#3 9 years ago

i'd do a dark version.
    at night, the site gets really bright.
    i usually have to turn my monitor brightness down every night.

too mas gringo

gringo-fear-1.jpggringo-fear-1.jpg

#4 9 years ago

I would love this as well. Much easier on the eyes, but if it never happens, I'm still very happy with Pinside!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#5 9 years ago

I usually prefer a dark theme to the bright white ones so this sounds like a great idea.

I am on board for one!

#6 9 years ago

This bright white theme does kill my eyes when I force myself to stay up 'til 3am reading more posts.

#7 9 years ago

->View->Invert Colors

I would use that option for sure. My kindle has black bg w/white text.

#8 9 years ago

My problem is (and I know this makes me a loser) I roll out of bed, stumble to the computer, open Pinside...

...and get friggin' blinded because my eyes weren't ready for that much brightness that quickly.

So, yeah...it'd be great to have an option to change the background!

#9 9 years ago

Guys, you *can* adjust the brightness of the screens of your mobile devices--that's a heck of a lot easier than for a website developer to revamp or add a theme.

Just drag down the bar that displays the clock, untick "auto", and slide the brightness setting down.

Also, for Android, there's an app called "screen filter" that dims the screen to a pre-set level when you launch the app.

For Windows/Mac/Linux/iPod/iPad, there's an application called f.lux. It gradually red-shifts your screen depending upon the time of day. I've found it to be very good for late-night work.

https://justgetflux.com/

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Guys, you *can* adjust the brightness of the screens of your mobile devices.
    Just drag down the bar with the clock, untick "auto", and slide the brightness setting down.
    Also, for Android, there's an app called "screen filter" that dims the screen to a pre-set level when you launch the app.

too much work.
    can barely roll off couch

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

too much work.
    can barely roll off couch

*sigh*

#12 9 years ago

No way I love the bright white background. I loaded the pages you linked and the contrast from the black to the white and yellow actually hurt my eyes way more then pinside does, or doesn't actually.

#13 9 years ago

could use a background instead?

lots of happy colors and fluffy clouds...

unicorn-rainbow-1.jpgunicorn-rainbow-1.jpg

#14 9 years ago

I look forward to the "Pinside after Dark" theme.

#15 9 years ago

Some of those unicorns look like they can barley roll off the couch too.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

No way I love the bright white background. I loaded the pages you linked and the contrast from the black to the white and yellow actually hurt my eyes way more then pinside does, or doesn't actually.

Yeah, they hurt my eyes too. White text on dark backgrounds is too much contrast and glare and reduces readability, especially for older eyes--leading to eye strain. Teenagers typically have no problem with it, which is why websites created by younger folks tend to think the dark color scheme looks fine to them (and also looks cool, thus thinking it would be silly to change it). So, white text on black backgrounds don't work for everybody.

https://www.joedolson.com/2006/08/on-the-readability-of-inverted-color-schemes/

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Some of those unicorns look like they can barley roll off the couch too.

too many skittles

eat the rainbow !

#18 9 years ago

I would give this 47 thumbs up if I could!

#19 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Glad I am not the only one.

Foremost I really enjoy pinside, its format and its content. I've donated a few times and will continue to do so.

It just seems that on larger screens (27"+) the white background of message forms and the light grey overall background is very bright to us.

#20 9 years ago

This was a great idea. I'm usually up late or early AM (like now, 4am). My brightness on my iPad is at its lowest, but Pinside is still too bright. A simple night mode (like on a GPS) would be perfect.

#21 9 years ago

I like it as it is.

#22 9 years ago

I would like the option for a darker background. Would definitely save my eyes late at night.

#23 9 years ago

I always like the option for a darker forum skin. i'm extremely photosensitive and get migraines from bright lights.

#24 9 years ago

Solid points. I'll think about it, and investigate if this is easily doable for me.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Solid points. I'll think about it, and investigate if this is easily doable for me.

Thank You.

#26 9 years ago

I briefly looked into this, this afternoon. I quickly found out: this is not going to be that easy. Copying the stylesheet and inverting all colors is no big deal. The issue is *maintaining* two sheets.

Then I figured, why not do it with Javascript? So I quickly try this:

for(i=0;e=document.all[i++]['backgroundColor','color'].map(function(p){(d=getComputedStyle(e)[p])!='rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)'&&(e.style[p]=d.replace(/\d+/g,function(n){return 255-n}))})

And lo and behold! It works!

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 21.03.24.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-04 at 21.03.24.png

Now I just need to tweak this some more and give it the right feel. But essentially it is possible

#27 9 years ago

Thanks Robin! The brighter screens late at night are killing my eyes.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I briefly looked into this, this afternoon. I quickly found out: this is not going to be that easy. Copying the stylesheet and inverting all colors is no big deal. The issue is *maintaining* two sheets.
    Then I figured, why not do it with Javascript? So I quickly try this:
    for(i=0;e=document.all[i++]['backgroundColor','color'].map(function(p){(d=getComputedStyle(e)[p])!='rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)'&&(e.style[p]=d.replace(/\d+/g,function(n){return 255-n}))})
    And lo and behold! It works!

Now I just need to tweak this some more and give it the right feel. But essentially it is possible

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 21.03.... 197 KB

you rock !!!!

#29 9 years ago

This would be great!
    Thanks

#30 9 years ago

Very quick and dirty, but here's a Chrome plugin that can change the background color on a page's <body> tag for you. (As well as alter the opacity.)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/backgroundskin/nkaoiaacfaehhjfgijingidlpjeldkmd?hl=en-US

A bit limited on the colors you can choose, but it's literally the first link I tried. I assume there are more robust options out there. Would be awesome if it could be set through a site user's profile page though.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

I assume there are more robust options out there.

If it's still around, Proxomitron can do just about anything to a webpage you'd ever want done. It's extremely complicated and can be unwieldy, but it's amazingly versatile. I used it back in the day.

"All future development of the program was ceased in 2003 just one year before its author's death on 1 May 2004; even so, Proxomitron is still viable and used on modern Windows platforms such as XP and Vista."

......oh...

#32 9 years ago

The point is that a lot of people want this on their iPad or mobile phones. No plugins available there. It has to be javascript, I think.

I also don't want just a simple invert color (like my quick and dirty script above) but it has to ignore some fields (i.e. the orange dot matrix color on initials should remain orange). These details should not be lost. Call me a fusspot

#33 9 years ago

Here is a better Google Chrome plug-in that works really well:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/care-your-eyes/fidmpnedniahpnkeomejhnepmbdamlhl

#34 9 years ago

Love the sound of progress. Thanks Robin!

3 weeks later
    #35 9 years ago

Hoping this happens. Wish I could use chrome at work, however its blocked.

#36 9 years ago

I could have sworn that yesterday it had gone to a nice grey in the background? I thought it had changed. Weird

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I could have sworn that yesterday it had gone to a nice grey in the background? I thought it had changed. Weird

Even grey would be awesome for me. I actually wear sunglass while viewing pinside at work

#38 9 years ago

#39 9 years ago

I'd love to have a black-theme option! Many forum APIs offer it natively, I can't imagine it'd be difficult to enable here.
    I'd also love to disable that damn auto-populate thing when scrolling through the forum- it doesn't play well with a scroll bar.

#40 9 years ago

Yes please! The thought of a dark background was the final incentive I needed to make a donation to Pinside. Please find a way Robin. The over-excessive use of LEDS while playing in the dark has left my eyeballs scarred and sensitive to light thereby preventing me from reading pinside after dark. Ok, in reality my wife gets mad at the bright light in the room while she is trying to sleep.

#41 9 years ago

Update: This is still in the plans, I'm just really busy at the moment. Please hang in there, sunglass wearers, I will soon devote some time to work on this feature request!

#42 9 years ago

thanks robin, looking forward to it!

#43 9 years ago

(someday request)
    Can we have a personal setting, so that it changes dark or light background -- based on time of day?
    ...Then I wouldn't have to change the setting 2-4 times a day.

-mof

#44 9 years ago

And have a setting so I can keep it as it is please Robin

#45 9 years ago

...and...

actually have the background shade value change based on my time-zone, time of day & longitude, so it gets darker as the sun sets. be sure to take day-lights-savings-time into account

small brightness/darkness variations during the night to account for new moon or full moon would be very helpful as well..

also, if you could activate my laptop camera to measure general room ambient illumination and adjust for that too.

hehehe...

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Update: This is still in the plans, I'm just really busy at the moment. Please hang in there, sunglass wearers, I will soon devote some time to work on this feature request!

Great thank you! Until then, ill keep the sunglasses on

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for considering this feature request.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dark-backgound-for-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.