Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6253 (resized).JPG
    736F83C0-9B78-4F09-A119-DDB5ABAEF4EC (resized).jpeg
    EB2BCC37-E67D-474C-A9DF-019552C4C3C2 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Is removing these stickers likely to pull up the paint?

EB2BCC37-E67D-474C-A9DF-019552C4C3C2 (resized).jpegEB2BCC37-E67D-474C-A9DF-019552C4C3C2 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

I wouldn't. They are part of the machines story, it's past. Kinda cool. That's just my opinion of course.

If you want to do a full restore then try, worst case you hunt for an apron..

#3 3 years ago

Almost guaranteed the paint is going to go with them. Oh, and if you clean that apron with alcohol to get the residue off, you'll probably end up taking up paint as well. That was my experience with the Future Spa I had.

#4 3 years ago

They are part of the story, but a very ugly part.

What should I clean up the apron with? Just a damp rag?

#5 3 years ago

Whoever stuck them on did a pretty good job balancing them. If one was off balance it would bother me to no end.

#6 3 years ago

apron’s do not tolerate any cleaning without removing paint is my experience

#7 3 years ago

Novus 1 is doing a nice job. Not getting it all off, but looks a lot better.
    Novus on the right. Original dirt center

736F83C0-9B78-4F09-A119-DDB5ABAEF4EC (resized).jpeg736F83C0-9B78-4F09-A119-DDB5ABAEF4EC (resized).jpeg
    #8 3 years ago

Try some WD-40 to get the stickers off. Let it soak a few minutes.

#9 3 years ago

Gottlieb aprons (at least system 1 era) don't take kindly to anything being rubbed on them and will likely lift or smear the paint.

#10 3 years ago

1980 Bally Mystic apron didn’t tolerate a damp rag.

What I’m working on now is 1964 Williams machine, Heat Wave.

Not doing a real restore, just cleaning it up.

#11 3 years ago

If you decide to take them off, what's the backup plan if the paint comes along w/it?

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

If you decide to take them off, what's the backup plan if the paint comes along w/it?

PINBALL RESCUE www.pinballrescue.net
    Shipping is being delayed because of C-19 I believe. I have used their products before and they are really good quality.

#13 3 years ago

"It was that way when I got it. Some dumbass must have tried to take the sticker off."

Seriously, I thought I might set a WD40 soaked piece of cardboard on one, and test on a corner. If it lifts the paint, all I have is a little corner that's bad under a curled up little sticker corner.

#14 3 years ago

Use a paper towel soaked with WD40 and let it set, if nothing happens leave it alone. Like everyone else states the paint will come off in a heartbeat if you are even slightly aggressive.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

"It was that way when I got it. Some dumbass must have tried to take the sticker off."
    Seriously, I thought I might set a WD40 soaked piece of cardboard on one, and test on a corner. If it lifts the paint, all I have is a little corner that's bad under a curled up little sticker corner.

I had rock hard masking tape on my Card Whiz. Go to this thread to see my results with WD40.
    "How to remove this rock hard masking tape" It worked perfect, PATIENCE is the word on this.

#16 3 years ago

use a heat gun

#17 3 years ago

It’s starting to work. The WD probably had an easier time soaking thru masking tape than this metallic sticker.

#18 3 years ago

Unless you plan to restore it, enjoy the patina/history. Even without stickers that apron is no show pony.

#19 3 years ago

Even if the stickers do come off (and don't pull up the paint) the colors underneath them will be a different shade, most likely.

#20 3 years ago

Been working on it a little at a time all afternoon, between breaks in my real job. It’ll look fine with some beige stickum. I’m just glad to be rid of the silver sticker layer.

#21 3 years ago

Compressed air can sprayed upside down would freeze the glue.. not sure if the paint would come with it but that would be the safest way without using chemicals to get the stickers off.

#22 3 years ago

WD is not bothering the paint. I’m thinking of trying it to remove ordinary grime on the upper apron. Novus 1 is doing a half way job, and not hurting anything.

#23 3 years ago

And, here we go.

Some WD-40, a bit of patience, a little elbow grease, a health insurance card, a credit card, and finally a plastic ice scraper got the job done. I'm thrilled with the result.

IMG_6253 (resized).JPGIMG_6253 (resized).JPG
    #24 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

And, here we go.
    Some WD-40, a bit of patience, a little elbow grease, a health insurance card, a credit card, and finally a plastic ice scraper got the job done. I'm thrilled with the result.[quoted image]

Chalk that up as a W

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Chalk that up as a W

A WD!

#26 3 years ago

Eh oh!
    Be sure to tip your waiters!

#27 3 years ago

Yes, attempt to remove them. Walmart Garage Sale Stickers. They look recent.

#28 3 years ago

Thank you everyone!

#29 3 years ago

Much better...

1 week later
    #30 3 years ago

Just checked back up on this. Nice job.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dare-i-try-to-remove-these-stickers-?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.