(Topic ID: 120259)

Dan Heatherly-Great Guy-BigD Do your homework!

By Saveleaningtower

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by blondetall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-03-04-18-04-48.png

This topic is closed.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I had a for sale post that got closed because of new guidelines here on Pinside. That is fine. Because it was closed before I could reply, I will start a new thread. To this guy that posted in the thread before it was closed-

"The prices are really high on these pins like u would get with hep and the other big names not sure people are going to pay the same for someone not known and I doubt does as high end restore as the big boys"

How do you know? See his work first and then back up a statement with proof.

People that saw my games over the weekend were in awe of all restores-HEP, Heatherly, and Keller.

Enough said!

#2 9 years ago

Just to point out what is upsetting about the above quote is the assumption made based on absolutely no knowledge whatsoever which the poster previously admits. that is in poor taste in my opinion. someone's rep is on the line and you sit behind your keyboard with blatant disregard. wonder how you would feel if someone attacked what you did.

#3 9 years ago

Anyone who has been around pinball for very long should know who the Heatherly Bros are. They do amazing work and I'd put it up against anyone elses work.

#4 9 years ago

thanks john. reason he might not have the rep is because he was doing this on the side for so long. now that he is retired he may be getting into it more.

#5 9 years ago

Dan is a great guy and I've had the pleasure of seeing his work / machines as well. Beautiful work!

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Anyone who has been around pinball for very long should know who the Heatherly Bros are. They do amazing work and I'd put it up against anyone elses work.

Agreed, John. Us old timers know who they are but because they don't post on Pinside, most new guys have no idea who they are.

#7 9 years ago

thanks guys. really shame that someone would say "they doubt" when they know nothing about the guy.

#8 9 years ago

and coming from you Bryan it obviously means a lot! Classy!!

#9 9 years ago

Dan and Bill Heatherly are well known in the Harrisburg area as masterful game restorers. Their work speaks for itself. Also, they happen to be great guys.

Here's to spreading the good word about them!

-- Matthew

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

and coming from you Bryan it obviously means a lot! Classy!!

I will admit, I've never met Bill or Dan and I've never personally seen their work, but the pics I've seen certainly show they know what they're doing. I've also never heard a bad word about them or their work.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Agreed, John. Us old timers know who they are but because they don't post on Pinside, most new guys have no idea who they are.

This is very true. I've been here almost three years and this is the first I've heard of them.

They don't necessarily have to be Pinside members to be known in the hobby, though. Perhaps they've just been restoring fewer machines recently? I'd think even if they were doing restore work for other Pinsiders, their name would come up more often.

We are a large community here with very far reaching circles of influence, but I don't think we represent even 20% of just the US pinball hobbyist population.

#13 9 years ago

Have dealt with Dan on several game purchases and he is 5 or so hours each way
    Always honest and plenty of pics

Never disappointed

Bought parts from Bill

Both genuine to the hobby

The Barn is an amazing site

If Dan is reading

Remember the first encounter we had
    Took my car door off to fit a game

Good times

#14 9 years ago

I've been to the barn to pick up an unrestored game. The place was insane. Also found this card in my GnR.

Screenshot_2015-03-04-18-04-48.pngScreenshot_2015-03-04-18-04-48.png
    #15 9 years ago

As far as the Heatherly's go both of them have been in the hobby for hundreds of years (just kidding) but seriously those two guys have been around forever and they are by far two of the best guys you will ever meet in the pinball hobby.

I am lucky enough to know both of them personally and live within 15 minutes of both of them (actually kind of right between them). I don't see them often or even talk to them all that much but I can say 3 things about them. First off they are both class acts, second in the 7 years I have been in the hobby I have never heard a bad word about either of them, and lastly both of them are in the pinball hobby - not the pinball business - so they both fly under the radar a good bit unless you really know who is who in the hobby.

Both Bill and Dan do fantastic work and I think you could put their restoration work up against anyone in the hobby or business. Both of them are very successful with their "real jobs" and both are truly in the pinball hobby. If you are ever in Central PA and can hook up with either of them you will be blown away with what you see. The pins in Dan's "Barn" are as nice of a collection of restored machines as you will see anywhere in the world.

As far as your guys that have never heard their names before that is because you live in a "bubble" here on the chat rooms and don't know who some of the best guys out there really are. You just know the "flavor of the month club" everyone here talks about.

One thing I will tell you for sure is if you ever saw either Dan or Bill's work you would have no doubt they are the real deal. I feel honored to have both as friends & neighbors.

#16 9 years ago

It does seem over the last year or so; we have some new blood in their short pinball tenure, all of the sudden are "experts".

Not knocking all of the new blood!

#17 9 years ago

I know BigD personally and I can vouch for him as an excellent person and pin brothah. That said, I didn't see the thread, but I'm sure he meant no offense and simply made an innocent pricing statement with having the utmost respect for Chris, Bryan and the like in mind when he said it. I know he wouldn't rip anyone apart like that. It's just that he hadn't ever heard of the Heatherly's. Maybe he should've looked them up via Google or just asked who they were in his first post, but he obviously didn't.

Please don't take offense or be too upset or take it personally Save. I know it pissed you off a little, but no worries bro, it was an honest mistake and if BigD sees this thread, I'm sure he'll come in, apologize and admit he made an honest mistake and wasn't intending to insult you.

BTW, you have an awesome collection of games. Wish I had the cash to take a few off your hands.

#18 9 years ago

And it is great that Dan has had that wonderful email address for as long as I can remember!

Brad

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I know BigD personally and I can vouch for him as an excellent person and pin brothah. That said, I didn't see the thread, but I'm sure he meant no offense and simply made an innocent pricing statement with having the utmost respect for Chris, Bryan and the like in mind when he said it. I know he wouldn't rip anyone apart like that. It's just that he hadn't ever heard of the Heatherly's. Maybe he should've looked them up via Google or just asked who they were in his first post, but he obviously didn't.
    Please don't take offense or be too upset or take it personally Save. I know it pissed you off a little, but no worries bro, it was an honest mistake and if BigD sees this thread, I'm sure he'll come in, apologize and admit he made an honest mistake and wasn't intending to insult you.
    BTW, you have an awesome collection of games. Wish I had the cash to take a few off your hands.

Problem is he repeated said "doubt" when he doesn't even know what he's talking about. Look at my locked thread on my posted activity. Really unfair to Dan for someone to talk out of their you know what like that. Like I said. Do your homework. When I got into this 15 years ago that's what I did and couldn't have found a nicer guy than Dan.

I totally agree with too-Many's "bubble" and schusler's "expert" assessments.

#20 9 years ago

Ok, he didn't know what he was talking about. You think he said that to BASH you or was he making an honest assessment out of the respect he has for the more well known restorers out there?

You're right, he could've done his homework, or straight out asked who Heatherly was, but hey, we're all people and we all make mistakes. Most of all, at the end of the day, we're all friends.

Don't take it to heart bro and don't be offended, I'm sure he'd apologize to you in Allentown if you wanted to meet up.

Thanks for PMing me back Save. You're cool bro.

#21 9 years ago

I totally agree with too-Many's "bubble" and schusler's "expert" assessments.

Meant to add that I totally agree as well. They do excellent quality work. Congrats on owning some of their restores.

#22 9 years ago

O wow just saw this thread lol and I definitely didn't mean to hurt anyone's rep or your for sale thread . This why I hate computers and messages because things come access different to different people . I was trying to say that the prices for the pins were up with what well known high end restores sell for and may be hard to sell for them prices on here because not many people have heard of the person who did them and of course pictures really dont do much justice compared to in person .I have seen the restores and they are very good and also have seen some of the big names and while both are quite good I dont think anything is as nice as hep restores . Hep just has that next little step of detail done to them over all others but that being said it could have just been the pins I saw who the hell knows . Sorry that op took this the wrong way that was not the intended purpose and you really should have just pm me to clarify and I could have edited my prior post to sound better. Again sorry I have nothing against anyone just love pinball and most of the people in it .

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Thax buddy I hate when dumb misunderstandings come about on here anyone who knows me personally knows that I don't disrespect anyone or anything and appreciate everything and everyone .cant wait till the shows this year buddy till then

#24 9 years ago

Just to point out what is upsetting about the above quote is the assumption made based on absolutely no knowledge whatsoever which the poster previously admits. that is in poor taste in my opinion. someone's rep is on the line and you sit behind your keyboard with blatant disregard. wonder how you would feel if someone attacked what you did.

Also dont assume anything I have seen both and hell ive meant dan and played his pins and been in the barn . Also im not some loser thats behind my "keyboard" and attacks lol definitely not my intention and I never said I had no knowledge of anything . If you go back to the post I posted that I been to the barn so not sure where u got that? Anyway you sld have just pm or called me to clear this up instead of this but anyhow sorry for any damage I may have did ,not what I was trying to accomplish . Just stating it may be hard to get those prices for a restorer not many have heard of compared to the more common big names .

#25 9 years ago

I don't get this thread. Why would someone single someone out on a subject/topic thread to try and justify anything. This site is starting to get very "catty" in my own opinion and feel this thread was generated in poor taste. I am not trying to throw fuel in the fire but let's get back to the community feel. If folks don't know something, such as I with the Heatherly restoration quality, then this is the opportune forum to educate and learn. Not to insult or play the whole "who has been collecting longer" game. Again bad taste and a turn off to the hobby. At least in my opinion.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Sorry that op took this the wrong way that was not the intended purpose and you really should have just pm me to clarify and I could have edited my prior post to sound better.

Or... You could have PM'ed the OP in the first place to ask; "Who's this Heatherly fellow, and why is his restore work so gosh-dang good that I should pay your asking price for it?"

Instead, it casts a negative light on the OP's (and restorer's) credibility for those that don't know any better. I won't go as far as to say it was a post hijack, but I did feel as though it was poor form. If you aren't interested in his machines then let him worry about justifying his asking prices without being hamstrung by misinformation.

And just for the record, I think it's important to remember that there are many very capable restoration players outside of the big names that we regularly see floating around pinside. And just because an individual doesn't necessarily have an active presence on Pinside doesn't mean they aren't exceptional. The work should speak for itself, and ultimately it should be up to the seller to justify his/her asking prices to any potential interested parties. Just my $0.02, but if it had been my FS post I'd have been pretty irked too.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from MAJRob:

I don't get this thread. Why would someone single someone out on a subject/topic thread to try and justify anything. This site is starting to get very "catty" in my own opinion and feel this thread was generated in poor taste. I am not trying to throw fuel in the fire but let's get back to the community feel. If folks don't know something, such as I with the Heatherly restoration quality, then this is the opportune forum to educate and learn. Not to insult or play the whole "who has been collecting longer" game. Again bad taste and a turn off to the hobby. At least in my opinion.

Thats what I was wondering I was quite surprised when I came across my name in the title bc it definitely got taken the wrong way

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Or... You could have PM'ed the OP in the first place to ask; "Who's this Heatherly fellow, and why is his restore work so gosh-dang good that I should pay your asking price for it?"
    Instead, it casts a negative light on the OP's (and restorer's) credibility for those that don't know any better. I won't go as far as to say it was a post hijack, but I did feel as though it was poor form. If you aren't interested in his machines then let him worry about justifying his asking prices without being hamstrung by misinformation.
    And just for the record, I think it's important to remember that there are many very capable restoration players outside of the big names that we regularly see floating around pinside. And just because an individual doesn't necessarily have an active presence on Pinside doesn't mean they aren't exceptional. The work should speak for itself, and ultimately it should be up to the seller to justify his/her asking prices to any potential interested parties. Just my $0.02, but if it had been my FS post I'd have been pretty irked too.

Actually I didn't hijack his thread it was already done before I jumped in and i didnt need to pm anyone as i know who he is and have seen his work firsthand and he does do great work that was not a question , but yes I apparently sld have never said anything lol lesson learned

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sethman:

Dan is a great guy and I've had the pleasure of seeing his work / machines as well. Beautiful work!

I agree and this wasn't what I was questioning or saying in the original thread

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually I didn't hijack his thread it was already done before I jumped in and i didnt need to pm anyone as i know who he is and have seen his work firsthand and he does do great work that was not a question , but yes I apparently sld have never said anything lol lesson learned

Fair enough. Maybe that just wasn't entirely clear. I may have not read your original posts well enough because I got the impression that you didn't know who the restorer was that was being discussed, but you assumed he wasn't as good as the big guns for reasons that were unclear. My mistake and I apologize.

*edited because I was sure I didn't capitalize "big guns" myself but had to double check. Thanks pinside. lol

#31 9 years ago

I had a for sale post that got closed because of new guidelines here on Pinside. That is fine. Because it was closed before I could reply, I will start a new thread. To this guy that posted in the thread before it was closed-
    "The prices are really high on these pins like u would get with hep and the other big names not sure people are going to pay the same for someone not known and I doubt does as high end restore as the big boys"
    How do you know? See his work first and then back up a statement with proof.
    People that saw my games over the weekend were in awe of all restores-HEP, Heatherly, and Keller.
    Enough said!

I have seen the work and meant him and been to his place and no denying he does great work and is a nice guy that was not what I was questioning

#32 9 years ago

I've seen the machines in question and they're top notch. Really beautiful work.

You don't have to be HEP to do a great job.

#33 9 years ago

Ok ihave seen person in question's work and its nice better than what I could ever do and is a super nice guy . What I was saying is the the prices were as high as the well known restorers and people probably will have a hard time understanding y if it isn't from a big gun. The ones I saw were dam nice not hardly any different from big dogs but just a little more detail in the hep I saw but that dont mean that op isn't as good it may have been just the pins I saw and the different years they were done . Maybe one was newer than the other who the hell knows lol point that I was trying to make was people pay extra for just the name of places such as hep that have a huge well know rep and following compared to a great restorer that may not be as well know .thats all I really was trying to say op sorry again for the misinterpretation

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've seen the machines in question and they're top notch. Really beautiful work.
    You don't have to be HEP to do a great job.

Aggreeed but when trying to sell especially on here people pay more for people they have heard of usually

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

This is very true. I've been here almost three years and this is the first I've heard of them.
    They don't necessarily have to be Pinside members to be known in the hobby, though. Perhaps they've just been restoring fewer machines recently? I'd think even if they were doing restore work for other Pinsiders, their name would come up more often.
    We are a large community here with very far reaching circles of influence, but I don't think we represent even 20% of just the US pinball hobbyist population.

This was what I was trying to say also

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Aggreeed but when trying to sell especially on here people pay more for people they have heard of usually

Hey, man...I'm not trying to piss you off - you might be a future buyer!

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, man...I'm not trying to piss you off - you might be a future buyer!

O I no I was just saying ugh dam computers lol hard to tell how someone is really saying something lol which is what started this whole thing

#38 9 years ago

Main thing I see over and over again of forums is 50% of the people visiting them and posting are just looking to start something. I didn't see the original post and I am not taking sides on any of that part of things but when I saw a post talking about Heatherly's I just wanted to chime in and say what good guys they are.

HEP and others like him have made names for themselves over the years but there are at least a dozen or more great restoration guys involved in the hobby at any given time. Right now it seems like HEP is the "flavor of the month" when talking about high quality pins but there are plenty of guys doing equally as nice work.

Being very honest HEP, Heatherly, Keller, etc all do great work but their stuff is not for me. I honestly prefer machines that look like something out of an old arcade - not something new out of the box or better. I love old EM's with high scores carved into the sides of them and machines that show a little wear here & there. These are adult toys - like cars at a car show - not everyone is into "trailer queens".

There is room for everyone in this hobby. Live & let live! Everyone needs to lighten up a little - this place is starting to remind me of a bunch of little girls on recess at middle school!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Main thing I see over and over again of forums is 50% of the people visiting them and posting are just looking to start something. I didn't see the original post and I am not taking sides on any of that part of things but when I saw a post talking about Heatherly's I just wanted to chime in and say what good guys they are.
    HEP and others like him have made names for themselves over the years but there are at least a dozen or more great restoration guys involved in the hobby at any given time. Right now it seems like HEP is the "flavor of the month" when talking about high quality pins but there are plenty of guys doing equally as nice work.
    Being very honest HEP, Heatherly, Keller, etc all do great work but their stuff is not for me. I honestly prefer machines that look like something out of an old arcade - not something new out of the box or better. I love old EM's with high scores carved into the sides of them and machines that show a little wear here & there. These are adult toys - like cars at a car show - not everyone is into "trailer queens".
    There is room for everyone in this hobby. Live & let live! Everyone needs to lighten up a little - this place is starting to remind me of a bunch of little girls on recess at middle school!

Yea definitely I can never afford one nor want a super high end which these guys do . I like a nice as original as I can get within my price range . All these guys have their differences when doing a restore and each have their own unique things they do and have perfected over the years . There is no right or wrong but some may perfer one to another for certain reasons but most people probably wont know who heatherly is at least hes not brought up much on here maybe all this will get him more known and more work which he dont really need lol.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea definitely I can never afford one nor want a super high end which these guys do . I like a nice as original as I can get within my price range . All these guys have their differences when doing a restore and each have their own unique things they do and have perfected over the years . There is no right or wrong but some may perfer one to another for certain reasons but most people probably wont know who heatherly is at least hes not brought up much on here maybe all this will get him more known and more work which he dont really need lol.

Like I said in my original post neither of the Heathery's are really in the "pinball business" and I don't think the few dollars they make messing with machines has really had any impact on their lifestyles. I doubt if either of them will ever have to look for work because both are well enough known in this area to more than keep them busy.

They are both in the coin op and pinball hobby - yes they both sell a few machines here & there - but as far as I know their interest is more in machines for their collections then it is in doing machines for other people. Actually Bill has gotten away from doing pinball machines and is doing more with other early coin-op stuff these days. Dan just retired so maybe you will hear more about him now - that is yet to be seen. But I know last time I was at his place he was showing me some of the projects he is working on for his collection - not a word was said about stuff for sale or for customers!

In any event - just know if you hear the name Heatherly all is good! Great guys, nice machines and both are an asset to the pinball hobby.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Couldn't agree more. Who cares if someone random Pinsider doesn't know or acknowledge the brilliance of a particular pinball restorer? There are MANY talented hobbyists that do beautiful work and never get recognized. I've long thought Mike Dallas is one of the top young/talented restorers in the hobby...I have his very first restoration (a TOTAN he did for himself) and it's a beauty. HEP does wonderful work and is arguably prolific, but anyone who thinks no one else measures up is naive and/or uneducated. Why spend time blasting someone in this position? As MAJRob says above, why not simply educate the misguided soul?

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Also dont assume anything I have seen both and hell ive meant dan and played his pins and been in the barn . Also im not some loser thats behind my "keyboard" and attacks lol definitely not my intention and I never said I had no knowledge of anything . If you go back to the post I posted that I been to the barn so not sure where u got that? Anyway you sld have just pm or called me to clear this up instead of this but anyhow sorry for any damage I may have did ,not what I was trying to accomplish . Just stating it may be hard to get those prices for a restorer not many have heard of compared to the more common big names .

Yeah so essentially you are hurting his rep and my selling position. Poor buddy. Poor.

#43 9 years ago

Yeah so essentially you are hurting his rep and my selling position. Poor buddy. Poor.

Not really post some pictures and tell what has been done to them and the pins should sell themselves just like if you hear the hep name ? If someone is interested I highly doubt they care about this non sense misunderstanding . Get a clue buddy

#44 9 years ago

Im done defending myself ive appligized enough already when I probably didnt even have to for simply stating a opinion but thats just how I am

#45 9 years ago

You are the one that needs a clue.

#46 9 years ago

Glad you are done. Stay out of my threads.

#47 9 years ago

You are the one that needs a clue.

About what ? Lol

#48 9 years ago

Glad you are done. Stay out of my threads.

When they refer to me ill say what I please .this isnt even about you and your dumb thread you started its about dans work which I already stated is very nice just not known as well as others lately .go back and read everything I wrote not sure what else I can say about it

#49 9 years ago

Seems like Im not the only one that thought your post was in poor taste. Funny thing is if you look at my history I don't say a thing about anyone's for sale threads. You think what you want but I'm glad im in the majority here with folks that think your post was in poor taste hurting dan's rep and the value of my collection. Maybe you are just jealous.

#50 9 years ago

Yep thats it im glad its finally out there , I am just so jealous that you are selling alot of nice pins that most people would love to have in their collection but just cant afford or just dont need a pin this nice to enjoy this great hobby bc after all they are just toys .if anything all this nonsense will help you sell your precious pins and get dans name brought to light even more which is always a good thing for all parties envolved bc he does great work that many people may not been aware of before .thank goodness for my insane jealousy for these pins . For the record if I wanted pins this nice I would have them but its not necessary as the pins I own or have owned play just fine for quarter of the price which leaves me money to enjoy my other hobbies and lots of traveling .maybe this is just a pissing contest for you to just throw your money around and say hey look at all my nice restored pins ,but me and many others I know are quite happy playing our less than superior pins according to you and enjoy the hobby just the same

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dan-heatherly-great-guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.