(Topic ID: 68506)

Damn you, Rick Bartlett!!

By Bryan_Kelly

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130526_114214_173-172.jpg
    5899789460_794e33c211_z.jpg
    funny-retirement-money-comic-job.jpg
    147975.gif
    knitting.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from deeznuts:

I'm glad to see these guys take a hit.

Jackassery at it's finest.

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Think about it for a minute. If you're going to spend $6000 or more for a restoration, which games are you going to spend it on?

Popeye?

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't know his percentages, but probably 15% is AFM and MM as far as my shop goes.
    I've turned away a ton of work this year, as has HEP and most of the other restorers I talk to.
    If the remakes refocuses people's attention onto the 100s of other great pin titles that rarely get restored - that's icing on the cake.
    I'm not worried a single bit

Vid, I think you are kind of missing the point a bit. You have a reputation for restoring more of the older titles. But I think it's clear that the vast majority of the ~$6k restorations are on titles like MM, AFM, MB and CC. If the demand for restoring pins like that goes away, I don't see how that means that demand for restorations of the older, less commonly restored pins would go up. Those pins didn't suddenly become more desirable than they were before.

Are people going to say to themselves "well, I was going to pay $6k to have an AFM restored, but since they will probably remake it, I will just pay $5k to have a Comet restored instead"? I doubt it.

#145 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I "get" that it seems that people only restore the big 4 titles, but let's look at the numbers:
    http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/
    12 MM
    11 TZ
    11 AFM
    6 WH2O
    6 MB
    5 TAF
    4 FH
    3 CC
    3 TOM
    2 IJ
    So, 11 people paid $6K to have their TZ restored. A game that you can still find HUO for $5K.
    If TZ is "your game" and you have some sentimental attachment to it, and you have the money, you can pay $$$$$ to have it better than NIB.
    You obviously won't ever get your money back out of it, but you don't care, it's what you want.
    That is the fun of collecting pinball.

Ok?

I don't disagree with any of that.

But what does any of that have to do with the point about the older/less popular titles now having more demand in terms of being restored because of the MMr / B/W remakes being announced?

I.e, I know of people who have had pins like HS2 and NoFear restored by one of the high end restorers for the reasons that you mention. How will demand for those titles being restored go up because of MMr and other potential B/W remakes?

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If I buy a MMr, it will be in "perfect" condition ( to most people).
    Money I might have spent on restoring a MM, can now be spent on restoring other titles that will never be remade.
    -

I guess that's where I lose you.

A restoration is about $6k. MMr is $8k.

Seems like I now have $2k LESS to spend on a restoration, not more.

Edit: of course there are certain assumptions being made here in terms of whether you already had an original MM, how much you paid for it, etc.

Just like people said that MM would NEVER be remade, let's just revisit this thread in 2 years and see if HEP, NEO and I run out of work.
    I say we won't.

I certainly never said you guys would be out of work. I just don't think that there will be *increased* demand to restore those other titles.

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

On another note, If someone is dressing up as Bryan Kelley for Halloween, how much beer should they have with them or should they simply ask for one at each house?

Cheese.

Don't forget the cheese!

#156 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure 6K + 12K for a routed beater = 18k
    So by my logic, that leaves 10K to restore or buy more pins with.

I edited my post to add that I was making certain assumptions about whether someone already had an original MM and how much they paid for it.

But yes, I understand your logic.

#169 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

That could be it, the parts are just not the same . AFM green targets will break in a few games and original last for 10s of thousands of games ? If you study the OEM parts vs repop parts ,not only can you see slight differences you can feel them as well..

You can say that again.

My green AFM repro targets look different (they are more transparent, the color is not as dark) and I busted two of them in a month.

#174 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I use originals next to the hallway and the repros on the sides.
    I broke one of the repros on the first game I played when I got my AFM back together.

I broke one right next to the SOL hole (no surprise there, that one takes a beating), but the other one was the lowest target on the left side. That one surprised me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-rick-bartlett?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.