(Topic ID: 68506)

Damn you, Rick Bartlett!!

By Bryan_Kelly

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130526_114214_173-172.jpg
    5899789460_794e33c211_z.jpg
    funny-retirement-money-comic-job.jpg
    147975.gif
    knitting.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 10 years ago

You’re not alone, just had a customer cancel a MM project. I’m surprised to hear someone would back out of a MB though.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's really pretty simple, Mike. If someone has a MB that plays fine, why spend almost as much as a remake to have it restored. They'll just keep it like it is until they find out future remake titles.

I'm not sure that PPS will remake MB. Yes, Rick has licensing rights to reproduce parts, but how would Universal feel about reproducing an entire MB machine? I'm pretty sure Universal would want royalties based on the machine's selling price, not just the parts used in the machine. Also, if MMr is successful I'd think the next remake would be even more expensive because PPS will have proven they can deliver. Anyway, I can see unlicensed themed machines being done, but why pay 10% (just guessing at this number) of your profit to Universal if you don't have to. There are plenty of unlicensed themes to reproduce first (CC, AFM, CV, TOTAN, etc.).

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I wouldn't worry. If more remakes are created, other pins that aren't as valuable right now will take their place in value and in restoration need.

I've had the same thought. I can see LOTR, SM, IJ, TAF, and others going up in price in the long run.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Universal is in the business of licensing.
    That is how they make their money.

I get that, but I think you're missing my point. Why would Rick make MB when he could make another game (an unlicensed one) and make even more money? For example, let’s assume Universal wants 10% of the total sales price in royalties. So, if PPS sells MBr for say $8k, then Universal would get $800 per machine. So, if PPS reproduced 1000 machines they'd end up paying Universal $800k (of course this all depends on the actual percentage Universal would really want). My point is why spend money you don't have to. Sure, PPS could remake MB, but why not do an unlicensed themed machine and make more money?

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from deeznuts:

I'm glad to see these guys take a hit. I always thought their prices were ridiculous. Hats off to Rick.

No soup for you.......

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Agreed and this is why I don't see Cirqus Voltaire being re-made along with some others. Re-tooling the Ringmaster and Boom Balloon would be enormously expensive. Medeval Madness was the perfect storm and I don't see many other titles that fall into this category.
    I think high end restore guys like Bryan will continue with plenty of work after a brief lull and the market settles from the exaggerated rumors and knee jerk reactions presently going on.
    Bryan, why don't you consider doing some of the classic older games such as Fathom and Centaur? I see a market for that. Or perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part.
    Kimhttp://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

Kim,

I'm willing to restore my Fathom if you're willing to sell me your CPR playfield

#138 10 years ago
    Quoted from deeznuts:

Im sure all those guys are so hurting for cash. Give me a break.

Hey, maybe if games get a little cheaper you can finally afford #26

Seriously dude, you have more money tied up in pinball machines than I have in my home. Give me a break....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-rick-bartlett?tu=pinballmiked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.