(Topic ID: 68506)

Damn you, Rick Bartlett!!

By Bryan_Kelly

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130526_114214_173-172.jpg
    5899789460_794e33c211_z.jpg
    funny-retirement-money-comic-job.jpg
    147975.gif
    knitting.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryan_kelly.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I was planning on retiring in a couple of years and work on pinball restorations full time. Now I'm not sure the demand will be there. I just had a guy call and cancel his MB I was going to do.

I would imagine this will impact anyone who restores newer games.

I may take up knitting instead.

You suck, Rick!!

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Maybe you can start a career as a new-pinball-machine unboxer...if you can clean up your language.
    Robert

That'll never f'ing happen, Robert.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I was wondering how the prospect of remakes would affect the high end restoration guys. The thing is, nobody really knows if MMR will be one and done with no other remakes right? I suspect that we could see MB as a remake, but who knows right now? I do wish all you guys (yourself, McCune, HEP, and others) luck, as you guys really put out some works of art.

Unless Rick totally f's this up, there's no reason he wouldn't make other titles. Of course, we'll all have to wait and see how the MM remake turns out, but if it's a success and it makes Rick money, (and doesn't drive him insane getting it done) there's no reason not to make other titles. Based on the number of each title I've restored, next on the list would be MB followed by AFM and then CC.

But until the MM is done and/or Rick announces further titles, I would imagine more and more people are putting their restoration plans on hold.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

You’re not alone, just had a customer cancel a MM project. I’m surprised to hear someone would back out of a MB though.

It's really pretty simple, Mike. If someone has a MB that plays fine, why spend almost as much as a remake to have it restored. They'll just keep it like it is until they find out future remake titles.

#23 10 years ago

I will admit, if the remakes drive original MM prices down far enough, those collectors that haven't been able to afford a restored original, now may be able to.

I'm not buying the knitting shit just yet.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

Go and spend more time with Charlie!

Last time I was at Charlie's, I told him, if I were retired and lived closer than 5 hours away, I'd be working for him in a heartbeat. I even tried to convince him to move his operation closer to me, but he says the cost of living in Benton WI is like $1000 a year, so he's staying put.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I'm not sure that PPS will remake MB. Yes, Rick has licensing rights to reproduce parts, but how would Universal feel about reproducing an entire MB machine? I'm pretty sure Universal would want royalties based on the machine's selling price, not just the parts used in the machine. Also, if MMr is successful I'd think the next remake would be even more expensive because PPS will have proven they can deliver. Anyway, I can see unlicensed themed machines being done, but why pay 10% (just guessing at this number) of your profit to Universal if you don't have to. There are plenty of unlicensed themes to reproduce first (CC, AFM, CV, TOTAN, etc.).

I hear ya, Mike. All we have for now is speculation, which is a lot like a rocking chair. Keeps you busy but gets you nowhere. Time will tell, I guess.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Sound like you'll have more time to drink beer and PLAY pinball there Bryan...

Jaz

Did you say beer? I heard you. You said BEER!!

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I think high end restore guys like Bryan will continue with plenty of work after a brief lull and the market settles from the exaggerated rumors and knee jerk reactions presently going on.
    Bryan, why don't you consider doing some of the classic older games such as Fathom and Centaur? I see a market for that. Or perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part.
    Kim
    http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

I agree on the lull, Kim. Until MMR actually comes out and we can see the quality of it, I think there are a lot of collectors sitting put. Possible future remake announcements also complicates things.

As for restoring older titles, it's certainly a possibility, but having done nothing but WPC and WPC-95 games for the last ten years or so, it'd be tough to change things up. Not out of the question, though.

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from caligirl:

Uh, are we suppose to sympathize here? What response are you expecting. Its not like you were laid off without notice and you have to keep your family fed. I know many folks unemployed because of lay offs and/or mergers, etc. and they are not whining online for the masses.
    I, as well as many others are over all the petty whining from people over the remakes.
    If people are foolish enough to buy pins or any collectable for that matter, as an investment, at overly inflated prices, and have the value drop on them. then they get no sympathy.
    Lets get some perspective here. You, nor a loved one has lost a limb or been diagnosed with a grave illness. More than likely if you are someone who could afford an over priced pin, you are not hurting for cash or wondering where your next meal is coming from.
    Everyone getting stressed and upset over this needs a wake up call and a little perspective on reality.
    The OP by all means has a bit of reason to complain as the remakes do have potential to affect his income. However, if you are a business savvy person, you have to view this challenge as competition and adapt accordingly if you want to stay competitive...that's just a reality of doing business.

I guess you don't know me well enough to know, my initial post was more so having some fun with Rick but also to see what other restorers thought may be in their future. Personally, I think the remakes will have a huge impact on which games get restored and exactly how many.

If I don't do another restoration, I'll survive, but what about someone like Chris Hutchins, who does this for a living? This is what he does to put food on his families table. I remember seeing a pic of about a half dozen MM's and the same number of CC's Chris had stored that needed to be restored. I wonder if any of the owners have changed their minds.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from deeznuts:

I'm glad to see these guys take a hit. I always thought their prices were ridiculous. Hats off to Rick.

No shit!! I guess I can cross you off my list of future customers.

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

People "restore" NIB games (just look at the photos on HEPs site), so there will still be plenty of work.
    Even if PPS does the top 4 games for remake, that still leaves 6000+ other titles.

If you took away the top four games (MM, AFM, MB and CC) that would amount to roughly 75% of the 100 or so games I've restored over the years. I would imagine most other restorers would say the same. And you say there will still be plenty of work??

The restored NIB games Chris has done is a very, very small amount of his work and it's being done for a very, very small number of customers. I would say the top four titles have always been his bread and butter.

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I had been wondering what percentage of the high-end restorations involved MM, AFM, MB, or CC.
    75%?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The number one game I've restored has been MB, followed by AFM, MM and CC. Oddly enough, WH2O would be fifth on the list and maybe SS after that.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Wow. Would not have thought that high.

Think about it for a minute. If you're going to spend $6000 or more for a restoration, which games are you going to spend it on?

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I can see arguments made for IJ, TAF, TZ, TOTAN, CV, and a few others. I guess it just depends how much you love the title, and whether or not you are doing it for an investment or because it's a beloved title that you plan to get buried inside of.

You are correct. I forgot about TAF. I've done roughly eight of those. I've done a handful of IJ's, TZ's and CV's. Never done a TOTAN, TOM or FH, although I have my first FH coming up.

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

I also think it is going to be dependent on the bill of materials for some of these pins. TZ and STTNG and going to be out in my opinion simply because they are going to cost too much to make. There are others on this list as well.
    Plus, I haven't seen a run on the top copies of these pins for anywhere near $8k. That makes both the reproduction and the restore market difficult economically. There are not 1000 people clamoring for a NIB (or CQ) copy of TZ, IJ, CV, TAF, or TOTAN at $8k. Without volume, the reproduction idea dies quickly.

I agree, other than TAF. With most of the existing TAF's being POS, because they're still being routed, I would think Rick could easily sell 1000 of them.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure.
    I've done dozens of F14s, Space Shuttles, EBD, Bally Playboy, WH2Os Xenons, besides the usual MM, MB.....
    Oftentimes a repo playfield comes out and people go crazy for a title.
    If you look on HEPs gallery, there are 70+ different titles that he has restored.
    There is plenty of work.

I will admit, I've turned down a number of those titles in the past, because I stayed busy with the big 4 and other WPC titles. Times may be changing. We'll see.

As for HEP's gallery, keep in mind many of those titles are onesy, twosy type restores.

#114 10 years ago

Hey, I just finished a Congo for a good friend in CO. I also did a BSD for him.

It could happen.

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nothing wrong with that.
    Although I like doing games in groups for efficiency sake, I don't charge any less for a Comet than I do an AFM.

Of course there isn't, but you make it sound like there are tons of titles people want restored. The total of all the odd duck titles Chris has done is probably equal to the total of all the MM's and AFM's he's done alone.

#120 10 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Tried to find you at Expo, brought the kids and they wanted to meet Bryan Kelly Maybe next year!

You seriously want your kids to meet me, John? I've been told I'm a bad influence, although my own two kids turned out fine. Well, Justin does swear a bit too much and he does like beer. Renee prefers wine, though.

Email me for my cell number next year and you can text me when you get there. I'd love to meet up. Don't you owe me a beer for something???

#122 10 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

There's a distinct difference between not being happy with current pricing trends, and wishing ill-will towards someone's livelihood. Those individuals doing the high end restores are doing honest work, and spend a LOT of time and effort to ensure their work is top-notch as well as making the client feel like their money was well spent.
    In an ideal world we should all be able to play in the same sandbox without anyone being left out.
    I, for one, am over the moon about getting a MMR, but at the same time if the day comes that I can afford to get a 1st class restoration job done on my IJ I really hope there are still people out there providing the service, rather than them all being pushed out of the pinball landscape.

Thank you!! That was very well said.

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from deeznuts:

Im sure all those guys are so hurting for cash. Give me break.

What's your point?

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

And don't think because it's $8k you'll get quality. The price is based on perceived demand, not on what it costs to make the unit.

I couldn't agree more, Clay. It doesn't matter whether MMR costs even $4000 to make. The market has shown, people are willing to pay $8000 for a new pinball machine. This seems to be the new price point.

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't know his percentages, but probably 15% is AFM and MM as far as my shop goes.
    I've turned away a ton of work this year, as has HEP and most of the other restorers I talk to.
    If the remakes refocuses people's attention onto the 100s of other great pin titles that rarely get restored - that's icing on the cake.
    I'm not worried a single bit

I will respectfully agree to disagree.

#144 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You mean like Roger Sharpe, that works for Williams still. And has to give it his okay on looks and it has to play like the original before he signs off ?
    LTG : )

Don't get me started on what I've been told it takes to get William's/Bally's "OK" when it comes to reproduction parts and the like.

#198 10 years ago
    Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

I hear John Jundt has a Maverick that needs restoring if you'd like to start taking on Data East games ...

I'd rather take up knitting.

#199 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No slight intended.
    blockquote>

None taken, Vid.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryan_kelly.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-rick-bartlett?tu=bryan_kelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.