(Topic ID: 68506)

Damn you, Rick Bartlett!!

By Bryan_Kelly

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130526_114214_173-172.jpg
    5899789460_794e33c211_z.jpg
    funny-retirement-money-comic-job.jpg
    147975.gif
    knitting.gif
    There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 10 years ago

I was planning on retiring in a couple of years and work on pinball restorations full time. Now I'm not sure the demand will be there. I just had a guy call and cancel his MB I was going to do.

I would imagine this will impact anyone who restores newer games.

I may take up knitting instead.

You suck, Rick!!

#2 10 years ago

I was wondering how the prospect of remakes would affect the high end restoration guys. The thing is, nobody really knows if MMR will be one and done with no other remakes right? I suspect that we could see MB as a remake, but who knows right now? I do wish all you guys (yourself, McCune, HEP, and others) luck, as you guys really put out some works of art.

#3 10 years ago

Enjoy your retirement.

knitting.gifknitting.gif
    #4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I was planning on retiring in a couple of years and work on pinball restorations full time.

Maybe you can start a career as a new-pinball-machine unboxer...if you can clean up your language.

Robert

#5 10 years ago

Never know, MMR could be a Bally Fireball Home Edition.

#6 10 years ago

I would still value a top end restore of an original game substantially over a remake. JMHO, of course.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Maybe you can start a career as a new-pinball-machine unboxer...if you can clean up your language.
    Robert

That'll never f'ing happen, Robert.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Enjoy your retirement.

147975.gif147975.gif

ROFLMAO +1

#9 10 years ago

You’re not alone, just had a customer cancel a MM project. I’m surprised to hear someone would back out of a MB though.

#10 10 years ago

All I know is that I have a really solid player AFM. It was in line for a refurb. Its not anymore. I will just play and enjoy.

#11 10 years ago

I've already got people calling to get their MMr creamed out, so I'd say the high end business will continue on, one way or another.

#12 10 years ago

funny-retirement-money-comic-job.jpgfunny-retirement-money-comic-job.jpg

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I was wondering how the prospect of remakes would affect the high end restoration guys. The thing is, nobody really knows if MMR will be one and done with no other remakes right? I suspect that we could see MB as a remake, but who knows right now? I do wish all you guys (yourself, McCune, HEP, and others) luck, as you guys really put out some works of art.

Unless Rick totally f's this up, there's no reason he wouldn't make other titles. Of course, we'll all have to wait and see how the MM remake turns out, but if it's a success and it makes Rick money, (and doesn't drive him insane getting it done) there's no reason not to make other titles. Based on the number of each title I've restored, next on the list would be MB followed by AFM and then CC.

But until the MM is done and/or Rick announces further titles, I would imagine more and more people are putting their restoration plans on hold.

#14 10 years ago

Ive seen McCune's work first hand with RobT's MB and AFM. I just dont see a remake matching this quality. I suspect there will still be demand for restorations from high end collectors as you can't remake all the old classics. Also, i would imagine true high end collectors would want an original classic that looked and played better than new and was still an original. All this is heresay though until remakes are actually released to the wild and compared to their counterpart originals.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

You’re not alone, just had a customer cancel a MM project. I’m surprised to hear someone would back out of a MB though.

It's really pretty simple, Mike. If someone has a MB that plays fine, why spend almost as much as a remake to have it restored. They'll just keep it like it is until they find out future remake titles.

#16 10 years ago

I wouldn't worry. If more remakes are created, other pins that aren't as valuable right now will take their place in value and in restoration need.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from DirtySouth:

I would still value a top end restore of an original game substantially over a remake. JMHO, of course.

My opinion also, without being humble!

#18 10 years ago

pinball designer? can you create 3d cad models or silicon molds?

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I wouldn't worry. If more remakes are created, other pins that aren't as valuable right now will take their place in value and in restoration need.

The new collectibles are Sterns ! I don't want to restore Sterns . I geared up to restore W/B games .. Oh well.

#20 10 years ago

Even if PPS doesn't re-make any other titles besides MMR it still has a huge effect on the high end restore market. Before the announcement it could be justified to pay $10-15K on a MB or AFM restoration because MM was $15-$20K and they felt like they were being smart with their money by spending less on a game that is of comparable fun/collectibility. Now that everyone and their brother can buy a brand new MM for $8K I think there will be less people willing to spend that kind of dough on a game when the Grail of Grail pins can be found for far less. Sure there will always be some people with unlimited cash that can fill a gameroom with restored games, but I think this will get rid of a lot of potential buyers that are happy with just 1 or two expensive "Grails" in their collection.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

This is confusing me. I'm not sure what it's in reference to...

#22 10 years ago

Silicon is a semiconductor used to make transistors and computer chips.

If you are REALLY a pinball designer, you make make your own ASIC chips....I guess.

#23 10 years ago

I will admit, if the remakes drive original MM prices down far enough, those collectors that haven't been able to afford a restored original, now may be able to.

I'm not buying the knitting shit just yet.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's really pretty simple, Mike. If someone has a MB that plays fine, why spend almost as much as a remake to have it restored. They'll just keep it like it is until they find out future remake titles.

I'm not sure that PPS will remake MB. Yes, Rick has licensing rights to reproduce parts, but how would Universal feel about reproducing an entire MB machine? I'm pretty sure Universal would want royalties based on the machine's selling price, not just the parts used in the machine. Also, if MMr is successful I'd think the next remake would be even more expensive because PPS will have proven they can deliver. Anyway, I can see unlicensed themed machines being done, but why pay 10% (just guessing at this number) of your profit to Universal if you don't have to. There are plenty of unlicensed themes to reproduce first (CC, AFM, CV, TOTAN, etc.).

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I've had the same thought. I can see LOTR, SM, IJ, TAF, and others going up in price in the long run.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I was planning on retiring in a couple of years and work on pinball restorations full time. Now I'm not sure the demand will be there. I just had a guy call and cancel his MB I was going to do.
    I would imagine this will impact anyone who restores newer games.
    I may take up knitting instead.
    You suck, Rick!!

Sound like you'll have more time to drink beer and PLAY pinball there Bryan...

Jaz

#27 10 years ago

Go and spend more time with Charlie!

#28 10 years ago

how would Universal feel about reproducing an entire MB machine?

Universal is in the business of licensing.

That is how they make their money.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

Go and spend more time with Charlie!

Last time I was at Charlie's, I told him, if I were retired and lived closer than 5 hours away, I'd be working for him in a heartbeat. I even tried to convince him to move his operation closer to me, but he says the cost of living in Benton WI is like $1000 a year, so he's staying put.

#30 10 years ago

I'm not sure that PPS will remake MB. Yes, Rick has licensing rights to reproduce parts, but how would Universal feel about reproducing an entire MB machine? I'm pretty sure Universal would want royalties based on the machine's selling price, not just the parts used in the machine. Also, if MMr is successful I'd think the next remake would be even more expensive because PPS will have proven they can deliver. Anyway, I can see unlicensed themed machines being done, but why pay 10% (just guessing at this number) of your profit to Universal if you don't have to. There are plenty of unlicensed themes to reproduce first (CC, AFM, CV, TOTAN, etc.).

I hear ya, Mike. All we have for now is speculation, which is a lot like a rocking chair. Keeps you busy but gets you nowhere. Time will tell, I guess.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Sound like you'll have more time to drink beer and PLAY pinball there Bryan...

Jaz

Did you say beer? I heard you. You said BEER!!

#32 10 years ago

This is all BS. There will always be a market for high end restorations. Maybe not the same titles as those currently in demand, but anyone that thinks the restoration is going to tank because PPS may remake a handful of titles is delusional.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

anyone that thinks the restoration is going to tank because PPS may remake a handful of titles is delusional.

Sorry to pile on, but did he just say you were delusional too?

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Universal is in the business of licensing.
    That is how they make their money.

I get that, but I think you're missing my point. Why would Rick make MB when he could make another game (an unlicensed one) and make even more money? For example, let’s assume Universal wants 10% of the total sales price in royalties. So, if PPS sells MBr for say $8k, then Universal would get $800 per machine. So, if PPS reproduced 1000 machines they'd end up paying Universal $800k (of course this all depends on the actual percentage Universal would really want). My point is why spend money you don't have to. Sure, PPS could remake MB, but why not do an unlicensed themed machine and make more money?

#35 10 years ago

If MMR is a success I'd be very surprices if AFM is not next in line. Equally high in popularity, but with some of simplest mechanical features. Hence, a very doable task, compared.

It is almost an insult how primitive that game is constructed. Or, when looking at it the other way around, it is some of the best game design, sound and DMD. To be able to overshadow the playfield features.

CC, on the other hand, is very heavy mechanical wise. Complicated. And when not complicated there just is a lot of them = cost. And then there is the whole issue of it not having a "job completed" feel.

#36 10 years ago

has anyone seen vacation america?
    bryan you have nothing to worry about. the new MM reissues will be crap.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

obvious to me... he wants a dirty south profile girl repo

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

This is confusing me. I'm not sure what it's in reference to...

Maybe he meant Manufacturer but you have to put out a game before you can be called one.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

If MMR is a success I'd be very surprices if AFM is not next in line. Equally high in popularity, but with some of simplest mechanical features. Hence, a very doable task, compared.
    It is almost an insult how primitive that game is constructed. Or, when looking at it the other way around, it is some of the best game design, sound and DMD. To be able to overshadow the playfield features.
    CC, on the other hand, is very heavy mechanical wise. Complicated. And when not complicated there just is a lot of them = cost. And then there is the whole issue of it not having a "job completed" feel.

Agreed and this is why I don't see Cirqus Voltaire being re-made along with some others. Re-tooling the Ringmaster and Boom Balloon would be enormously expensive. Medeval Madness was the perfect storm and I don't see many other titles that fall into this category.

I think high end restore guys like Bryan will continue with plenty of work after a brief lull and the market settles from the exaggerated rumors and knee jerk reactions presently going on.

Bryan, why don't you consider doing some of the classic older games such as Fathom and Centaur? I see a market for that. Or perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part.

Kim
    http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#40 10 years ago

Baracora ?

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

Guys, guys.....It's In reference to Brian talking about not knowing what to do now after he retires. So John was suggesting picking up pinball design, instead of knitting.

.........or as well as knitting, you never know..........

.......how about knitting blankets of pinball playfields? Best of both worlds!!

#42 10 years ago

I think he should retire and do charity work. I have a Funhouse that could use a lot of "charity" work

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rcade:

Guys, guys.....It's In reference to Brian talking about not knowing what to do now after he retires. So John was suggesting picking up pinball design, instead of knitting.
    .........or as well as knitting, you never know..........
    .......how about knitting blankets of pinball playfields? Best of both worlds!!

Ahhhhh, now it's all becoming clearer!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

has anyone seen Vacation America?

This was my first thought when Rick said who was actually building the game.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Because the $3000 market and $8000 market are exactly the same?

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

They are a contract manufacturer with a long pinball history. I don't think you can judge their one attempt to make an original machine as a testament to their contract work. It really comes down to how much direction and money PPS is sending their way.

Here is an article on them from 2002. Take notice of the designer who finished their pin.
    http://www.pinballnews.com/news/churchill.html

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Rick better be keeping a close eye on that. If we get VA quality on MMr, there are going to be riots on his front step...

Jaz

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

The new collectibles are Sterns ! I don't want to restore Sterns . I geared up to restore W/B games .. Oh well.

I agree Jim. I've done a couple of Sterns and they are a nightmare to restore, the parts are cheaply made and they are just a mess, not to mention the fact that I have been collecting parts for WMS / BLY games for over a decade.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

This is all BS. There will always be a market for high end restorations. Maybe not the same titles as those currently in demand, but anyone that thinks the restoration is going to tank because PPS may remake a handful of titles is delusional.

Name some games that customers will be willing to pay $6K to restore then. You can't say AFM, MB, CC or MM as those are arguably the next remakes. I think alot of the guys that had these high dollar games restored did so with the belief that they would be able to get alot, if not more than what they put into them back when they sold.

#50 10 years ago

How many times does it need to be said that Roger Sharpe has to sign off on the game before it goes into production? Does anyone actually believe that Roger would sign-off on a substandard remake of one of Williams' most highly regarded titles of all time?

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-rick-bartlett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.