Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 476 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1700 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    20230128_171231.jpg
    20230128_171142.jpg
    D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221219_103716_Gallery (resized).jpg
    DB5C7669-D383-4901-A692-7B31015F0220 (resized).jpeg
    08CE9739-2468-4F38-B7CA-B9B145BFC4E9 (resized).jpeg
    C2382C84-CA2E-4C4D-9B1B-78A2612BD656 (resized).jpeg
    1ED4FA0B-6954-4F4B-B56F-4645BA170AC8 (resized).png
    22AEF4FC-166E-40CA-BD1C-AC1CE1D381C6 (resized).png
    69000402 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    D52BC1EC-9E54-4304-86A4-F2B260734416 (resized).jpeg
    2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wxforecaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

i hear you man. Started playing in 94. In high school we even had several teachers who played in our group after school. I've got a massive collection in storage that needs to go to a new home. Hard to list something whose value could purchase 8 to 10 A list pins.

Don't run away. there is a reason the game is going strong after 24 years!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I bet not...if I still had my full set of Fallen Empires it would be worth exactly dick.

Hahah Fallen Empires, 4th Edition and Homelands.... there was a collective "well, Magic was fun while it lasted!". Thank goodness that Ice Age was a solid recovery at the time. Will never forget my best trade in college. Shipping a booster box of Ice Age to Italy (where they didn't have any) for a return box of Italian Legends.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buju:

Come on man. The shiv brought out in 94 meant game over unless you had a lucky draw, or a overpriced deck. And if you somehow got 2 out.....

No way man, it was all about speed.... Duals with Kird Ape, Flying Men and Scryb Sprites, + Beserk/Giant Growth/Blood Lust + lightning bolts haahaha.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I never "got" the whole proxy card thing. Okay, great, you want to protect your valuable pieces of 15 cent paper and ink, got it..
    Do people that use proxies now have to bring the original to prove they have it, or is this now just so commonplace that nobody even blinks an eye that someone is using a card they may not even own? I don't get how Black Lotus are 1500-3k if people are allowed to just use a "proxy".

Or the people that destroyed Collector's Edition cards to create proxies. WTF. I guess that makes my sealed Collector's Edition and International Collector's Edition boxes worth just that much more!

11 months later
    #158 6 years ago

WaddleJrJr (or anyone else), I have a MASSIVE collection of legacy/vintage stuff that's been sitting in clean, climate controlled storage for years (literally have not played for more than a decade after I had my son). We were going pretty hard core in college, with 2 of my close friends ending up getting their degrees and going out to work for WotC still to this day. I then hit MOTL pretty hard for its first couple years, opting to collect full sets and redeeming them for factory sealed ones (I think I have somewhere near 40 factory sets including complete foil sets!). So I have everything from Power 9, to a complete 40 dual land playset, to a mint Arabians set, to multiple complete sets of everything from Revised to Kamigawa block, binders of signed cards, etc. If anyone is interested in acquiring this massive horde (i.e. like $40K just in high end rares and complete sets alone), send me a PM. Wouldn't be opposed to a deal involving pins either. It needs to go to the right, motivated person.

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from Huggers:

I've always wanted to get into Magic the gathering but just didn't know where to start. Harder still as I don't know anyone who plays. Perhaps I could tempt my gf into getting involved with me

M:TG is VERY popular in the UK. Check with a local comic book or gaming shop. If they don't themselves carry the product or hold tournaments they know who will. There are a number of instructional tutorial videos online that teach you how to play, and break down the cards, their functions, and the process of game play. It probably took me a few days to get going back in the 90s and that was before anyone really understood the game, and once you're hooked, the game is AMAZING as both a casual play, a serious tournament play and a collectible. Many different formats that allow a new person to compete and have fun, just as someone with an unlimited wallet.

#171 6 years ago

Oh yeh, there is some MAJOR MAJOR $$$ in the early run stuff between Alpha and Revised, with several dozen "staple" cards in the decades following also fetching high dollar. The number of cards worth even $50 or more has probably gone up 10-fold in the past few years. What I love is that cards from the mid 90s that absolutely sucked being suddenly turned into a gold mine when some bizarre card comes out on a new set and someone makes the connection to something 10,000 cards ago that function together. That's what makes this game so great is that just when you can't possibly think there are any new ideas for mechanics or something, they create an interaction that brings new fresh life to older sets.

4 months later
    #238 5 years ago

A couple low value rares but I really don't see any monetary value here at first glance. When you're putting basic land into 9-sleeve pages, well....

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

I make no claims to be a Magic master
    Any idea of a "move it along price" based on what you see? IDK where to start really.

Sylvan library is your big card. With Ball lightning and brainstorm and a few other smalls, maybe $30??

2 years later
    #379 3 years ago

Any vintage collector's here? I've started selling off my 1993-2004 collection a few weeks ago, and forgot about this thread! Will also consider trading for pinball I haven't begun to inventory the singles, but there's a decent amount of A/B/U, UL, AN, AQ, LG, RV (like 70+ dual lands LOL), all the way through the mid 2000s . Ideally would like to move as many full sets as I can first since they're the space takers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i-TNInM1w_f6ttZ40qLf33N1g1rmYOHI0-JSkpRi4DY/edit#gid=0

#386 3 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I'd take the vintage stuff over the overprinted modern stuff any day. Good stuff you got there. Must have a lot of good singles, too.

Thousands of singles beyond the complete sets. Going to take a while to inventory, but if someone is buying full sets and has some specific singles they want I'll honor those lists. Amazing how much product I've already moved and it looks like I've barely made a dent!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wxforecaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-magic-the-gathering?tu=wxforecaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.