Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 476 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1700 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    20230128_171231.jpg
    20230128_171142.jpg
    D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221219_103716_Gallery (resized).jpg
    DB5C7669-D383-4901-A692-7B31015F0220 (resized).jpeg
    08CE9739-2468-4F38-B7CA-B9B145BFC4E9 (resized).jpeg
    C2382C84-CA2E-4C4D-9B1B-78A2612BD656 (resized).jpeg
    1ED4FA0B-6954-4F4B-B56F-4645BA170AC8 (resized).png
    22AEF4FC-166E-40CA-BD1C-AC1CE1D381C6 (resized).png
    69000402 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    D52BC1EC-9E54-4304-86A4-F2B260734416 (resized).jpeg
    2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#206 5 years ago

For some reason, I've been really curious about MTG recently. Never wanted to play, until now.

Was at Target looking at the cards, and I saw a starter pack. Two decks, 60 cards total I believe, and came with 2 dice. I figured it was common enough I'd be able to find it online, but I've had no luck.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll probably run back to the store again tomorrow to check it out.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Do not buy that product from Target/Walmart. It's a product only sold at those stores because proper Wizards Play Network game stores are supplied those exact same decks to give out for free.
    Go to the official site for Magic and use the store locator to find a store, and they'll be able to give you those decks and save you the money. Additionally they'll be able to help teach you some rules and recommend what to get next if you end up enjoying the game.

I figured there'd be someone that would say, "Do not buy that..." But then follow up with "Buy this super expensive thing instead. You'll be glad you did..."

I like the word free for just starting out and not even knowing if I want to continue with a real collection. I'll have a look around our area. I'm sure we have stores like you're talking about. Heck. We have Gen Con.

#221 5 years ago

I've always liked the idea of playing strategic games, but in the past, I lose interest in long games. Played Axis and Allies once. I was done after 2-3 hours. I took myself out on purpose. Same with Texas Holdem. After playing for a while, I get ancy, and start to make stupid bets.

So that's why I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on a game I'm not sure I can handle. (also currently unemployed. So saving money is good. Wasting time is also good.) But I can sit down and play Skyrim until the sun comes back up again. And enjoy playing Hearthstone.

May make a trip to the gaming store tomorrow to talk to them about it.

Are there any apps that simulate MTG? Guessing Hearthstone is nothing like it?

#225 5 years ago

I checked Steam out for any kind of card battle games, and they have Magic Duels. Already played a little of it this morning, and already know 1000% more about how to play than I did before.

It's interesting. I can see myself mixing up the attack and defend numbers when playing in person though. My mind gets dyslexia like that sometimes.

*EDIT

Kind wish there were other type of card games that are popular. Did some searching last night and found a WWII game. Now that I could get into. I'd collect the hell out of that if they sold booster packs in the store. Shame that it's only MTG, Pokemon, and Dragonball (or whatever that one is).

2 weeks later
    #228 5 years ago

Damn you Magic The Gathering! I'm now apart of a monthly league.

Few weeks ago I went to the local gaming store, and ended up buying one of those Challenger sets. I went to a Friday Night Magic, and ended up signing up for their league.

I will say, it's kind of fun. But not really my thing after playing more games. Some guys are really into it, and really make you frustrated, and it's ruining the fun for me. Magic just isn't for me in any kind of serious capacity.

But also, I used to have some of the Star Wars CCG sets and a few packs. I've bought a few things on ebay just to have them back. Also found a local guy who had 49 various unopened packs for $40. I told him I'd purchase them. We set up a general time, and general location to exchange, and then he ghosted me when that time came. I wasted an hour waiting for him. The next day, I tried to reach out again, and he marked the lot sold.

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Glad to hear that you gave it a whirl. Sucks to hear the FNM competitive die-hards ruined it for you. FNM is supposed to be fun and not a Rules Enforcement Levels (REL) event. I can understand your frustration, but don't expect it to be like that across the board. At our LGS, we make it clear that teaching & engaging new players is priority one. REL has its place, but against a new player on FNM is not it. That said, hope your league goes well, and welcome to the game!

The guy was helpful in making sure I knew what I could do and play, and why he was playing what he was playing. But I don't think you can tell a guy who's been playing for 20 years to not play cards the way they were meant to be played.

He played a lot of instants and spells and exiles. So every time I thought I was making a step forward, he'd knock me back 3 or 4 steps. Even took my "Oh, that's a GREAT card to have in your hand," card and used it against me. And I agreed to play best of 3. So I was done playing with him after the first one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-magic-the-gathering?tu=woody24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.