Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 476 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1700 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    20230128_171231.jpg
    20230128_171142.jpg
    D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221219_103716_Gallery (resized).jpg
    DB5C7669-D383-4901-A692-7B31015F0220 (resized).jpeg
    08CE9739-2468-4F38-B7CA-B9B145BFC4E9 (resized).jpeg
    C2382C84-CA2E-4C4D-9B1B-78A2612BD656 (resized).jpeg
    1ED4FA0B-6954-4F4B-B56F-4645BA170AC8 (resized).png
    22AEF4FC-166E-40CA-BD1C-AC1CE1D381C6 (resized).png
    69000402 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    D52BC1EC-9E54-4304-86A4-F2B260734416 (resized).jpeg
    2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#352 3 years ago

Hate to burst your bubble, but a box "from 10 years ago" would not be Revised.

10 years ago would be like Magic 2010 or Scars of Mirrodin.

Revised would have been more than 25 years ago.

#359 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I stopped collecting MTG sometime around the Urza's Saga timeframe, but I have most of the early sets except for ABU. After not touching my cards for ~15yrs I've started going through them again, re-sorting and re-organizing. It's a lot of fun.

If you are looking to sell, I've found that ABU games will often have the best buy prices.

#360 3 years ago

I recently re-organized my MTG collection.

I found these stack-able white drawer containers that hold a 3200 count box inside them very nicely. I had gotten sick of just having a stack of boxes that I would need to shuffle around when trying to get cards out of a bottom box.

This makes things much easier, and looks a lot nicer too.

This is just my Modern commons and uncommons (the rares and foils are in binders in a cabinet) and the older stuff is in another spot.

2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg
    #363 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

The 'buy lists' seem to be kinda sketchy though.

How so? I've sold a bunch of stuff to them over the past few years (usually for store credit rather than cash though). I found that they're willing to buy a lot of stuff that other places don't, and at better prices too.

#369 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I'm not familiar with tcgplayer and I've never sold cards before. By 'sketchy' I meant that people mention prices online (ebay, goldfish, etc.) but then I'm expecting to be told those prices relate to graded 10's, while at the same time my understanding is it's nearly impossible to get cards graded a 10.
    I'm also afraid to buy anything. I don't want to get involved with counterfeits or other scams. For now, all of my cards were purchased at a time when you could buy an alpha mox from local game stores for $22. That was my favorite purchase.

That's one of the reasons I only buy from well-known sites (or my local game store who I've known for a long time).

ABUGames and StarCityGames are probably the best sites around for both buying and selling "normal" cards. If you are talking about buying/selling power-9 and dual lands, then maybe it is something different. I've never owned any "power", and only have a small number of duals that I have no plan to sell.

Yes, getting any card graded a 10 is quite hard, but I've never owned anything worth getting graded anyway. My most valuable card is probably a foil Jace worth a few hundred.

1 month later
    #380 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have slowed on any buying. The recent collectors core21 packs did not impress me.
    I was much happier with everything that came before it including ikora collectors packs which I felt kicked ass.
    Secret lair continues to impress me.
    But I am very on the fence on double masters. Currently I have not pre ordered.
    Anyone else have thoughts?

I will probably buy some Double Masters. Most likely 1 booster box and 1 vip pack.
    My LGS is selling them at a very good price, and I'm trying to help them stay in business.

#382 3 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

It must be a very good price. DM is looking like a boom or bust and not worth the money/risk. Totally agree with helping the LGS though. I'm sure every bit matters.

I would actually buy more, but I just committed a huge amount of $ for a bathroom remodel, so the discretionary funds are a bit low right now.

#390 3 years ago

Wow...that's amazing. I never knew that existed - and I should have.

I used to be in the video game industry, and knew several people who worked at Acclaim at that time. It was also the time when I was just getting into Magic.

On the other hand, Acclaim's coin-op business was only around for a little while (and never did very well), so I would not be surprised if very few of these machines were ever made.

Thanks for posting this.

#394 3 years ago

I'm not surprised that only a few of these were made. It has a date of 1997, and Acclaim Coin-Op closed in March of 1998.

I almost accepted a generous job offer from Acclaim in Salt Lake City (then called Sculptured Software) in 1996, but instead went to a different company in Texas. Pretty glad I did that as Sculptured died pretty quickly soon after that.

3 weeks later
    #399 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Anyone feeling the glut of magic cards? I mean double masters vip looks good but the box openings appear to be tampered with.

Yes, they definitely crank out sets too often now, which is one of the main reasons that I don't play Standard anymore - it's just not practical to keep up.

On the other hand, I've had decent luck with the VIP packs...I opened a foil borderless Mana Crypt last week. But I've bought them from my LGS where I can be sure that they have NOT been tampered with.

2 years later
    #439 1 year ago

I'm mostly just fed up with all the variants of each card (different artwork, different foil treatments, different borders, etc.).

I used to like collecting (and playing with) foils, but now every card has so many versions that you can't even keep track of them, much less collect them.

#443 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

What's my best avenue to convert these for cash to buy more pinball machines?

The "best" way depends on what you want. Are you looking for highest dollar return, or easiest way to convert to quick cash?

The easiest way would be to sell to a retail store (i.e. StarCity Games), but they will probably give you the lowest amount.
    Selling them yourself would most likely give you the best return, but would involve a lot more work (and would take a while).
    There are also consignment services that would probably be somewhere in between.

You say you have "a number" of unopened stuff, do you mean like 3 or like 300?

#451 1 year ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I would personally never sell my collection to just one person. I have sold out multiple times and always get much more money by shopping around. You do you.

Hence my post above...

Selling to one place is quick and easy, but less profitable.
    Selling card by card is slow and hard, but more profitable.

Which is "best"? That depends on how much you value your time/effort.

7 months later
    #461 8 months ago

Not that any body watches this thread, but I wanted to just announce (as the "proud uncle") that my nephew Jake Beardsley just WON ProTour:Barcelona!

1 month later
    #466 7 months ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I play arena a lot and commander when I can. Wizards has given the hardcore fans the absolute middle finger, myself included.
    It started with the magic 30 reprint fiasco, but they have doubled down really showing me, I am somehow not their target audience. When I absolutely am the target. This irritates me when a hardcore audience is somehow stated not to be the target audience.
    As a financial impact I was up to about 2k a year in new product. This year I am at $200 and holding.
    I love the game and will always play. But they really are destroying their loyal base.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm kind of surprised at how Wizards has pushed Arena. I spend lots of time playing Arena now, but spend far less money than I used to.

I used to play Magic Online, buying lots of online cards and also buying lots of physical cards. Now I buy much less physical cards, and spend almost nothing on Arena - even though I am playing more Magic overall.

Seems to me that Arena is a really bad business-plan.

In other news, my nephew will be playing in the Worlds Championship this weekend...wish him luck!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-magic-the-gathering?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.