Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 476 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1700 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    20230128_171231.jpg
    20230128_171142.jpg
    D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221219_103716_Gallery (resized).jpg
    DB5C7669-D383-4901-A692-7B31015F0220 (resized).jpeg
    08CE9739-2468-4F38-B7CA-B9B145BFC4E9 (resized).jpeg
    C2382C84-CA2E-4C4D-9B1B-78A2612BD656 (resized).jpeg
    1ED4FA0B-6954-4F4B-B56F-4645BA170AC8 (resized).png
    22AEF4FC-166E-40CA-BD1C-AC1CE1D381C6 (resized).png
    69000402 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    D52BC1EC-9E54-4304-86A4-F2B260734416 (resized).jpeg
    2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damadczar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 6 years ago

Like a lot of you I started playing Magic when Unlimited came out. Had tons of dual lands, power 9, all that jazz.

When I graduated college and got married, I ended up selling tons of it to pay off debt and start a life.

Fast forward to early 2000's when Time Spiral and Mirrodin blocks came out. I bought several boxes and got back into it with some friends.
    Continued playing for several years up until Innistrad. Then it seemed like a bubble hit Magic again, prices started doubling, and all of a sudden I had some cards that were Modern legal that were worth a *ton* more than I paid.

So I cashed out most of my Modern decks and staples and bought like 3 pinball machines. LOL. Magic bought my Demo Man. Magic bought my Doctor Who. Magic bought my Earthshaker. Plus various parts and arcade related stuff (like my Robotron).

I continue to sell off more and more on eBay and tcgplayer buylists in order to fund additional pinball purchases.
    Getting near the end of the cards that sell for money, so I can't do this much anymore, but it was great to convert cards into pinball machines.

Magic is a great game and fun to play with friends. And it definitely fed my "gotta collect everything" itch. But pinball is more rewarding and fun.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks,
    Steven

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

Oh yeh, there is some MAJOR MAJOR $$$ in the early run stuff between Alpha and Revised, with several dozen "staple" cards in the decades following also fetching high dollar. The number of cards worth even $50 or more has probably gone up 10-fold in the past few years. What I love is that cards from the mid 90s that absolutely sucked being suddenly turned into a gold mine when some bizarre card comes out on a new set and someone makes the connection to something 10,000 cards ago that function together. That's what makes this game so great is that just when you can't possibly think there are any new ideas for mechanics or something, they create an interaction that brings new fresh life to older sets.

Yeah, it's really crazy. And even though I've sold off the current Magic staples, I still follow the scene. I still have tons of cards that aren't worth anything yet... but who knows, maybe someday they will?

That was the best part of Magic to me. Looking through all the card interactions and coming up with new decks with some new combo as a theme. I still kinda miss it.

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Wow. I'm aware of the Black Lotus, but didn't realize there were so many valuable cards.

Yeah, it's pretty insane.

That a look at this site that tracks the metagame and prices for completed decks: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

It costs something between $700-$1000 to buy a competitive Modern legal deck if you wanted to just buy it outright.

And many of those staple cards don't translate between decks, so you need 3-5 of them (completed decks) before you have a good enough collection of staples to be able to put together anything you want. Gets pricy quickly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damadczar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-magic-the-gathering?tu=damadczar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.