Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 476 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1700 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    20230128_171231.jpg
    20230128_171142.jpg
    D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221219_103716_Gallery (resized).jpg
    DB5C7669-D383-4901-A692-7B31015F0220 (resized).jpeg
    08CE9739-2468-4F38-B7CA-B9B145BFC4E9 (resized).jpeg
    C2382C84-CA2E-4C4D-9B1B-78A2612BD656 (resized).jpeg
    1ED4FA0B-6954-4F4B-B56F-4645BA170AC8 (resized).png
    22AEF4FC-166E-40CA-BD1C-AC1CE1D381C6 (resized).png
    69000402 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    D52BC1EC-9E54-4304-86A4-F2B260734416 (resized).jpeg
    2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reznnate.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#177 6 years ago

Wizards are working on a new online version. Join the beta.
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

1 year later
    #299 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Hence the dilemma. Do your own work, sell for close to actual value. Be lazy, get a lot less.
    Marcus

What is the best way to sell individual magic cards? Send off to PSA and post on ebay?

11 months later
    #357 3 years ago

I stopped collecting MTG sometime around the Urza's Saga timeframe, but I have most of the early sets except for ABU. After not touching my cards for ~15yrs I've started going through them again, re-sorting and re-organizing. It's a lot of fun.

#362 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

If you are looking to sell, I've found that ABU games will often have the best buy prices.

Yeah, while I don't have complete sets, I do have a bunch of nice ABU card I bought/collected for my decks 'back in the day'. I've been setting those cards aside, finding and sorting cards for my new 'reserve list' binder.

The 'buy lists' seem to be kinda sketchy though.

#368 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

How so? I've sold a bunch of stuff to them over the past few years (usually for store credit rather than cash though). I found that they're willing to buy a lot of stuff that other places don't, and at better prices too.

I'm not familiar with tcgplayer and I've never sold cards before. By 'sketchy' I meant that people mention prices online (ebay, goldfish, etc.) but then I'm expecting to be told those prices relate to graded 10's, while at the same time my understanding is it's nearly impossible to get cards graded a 10.
    I'm also afraid to buy anything. I don't want to get involved with counterfeits or other scams. For now, all of my cards were purchased at a time when you could buy an alpha mox from local game stores for $22. That was my favorite purchase.

4 weeks later
    #372 3 years ago

Thanks to the advice here, I was able to finish my Urza's Saga set in short-order. It cost me a few $, but it was well worth it to know that binder is no longer incomplete. My OCD is happy, but my wife wonders why I'd spend ANY $ just to put stuff in a binder and then put it back on a shelf. She's a n00b.

1 month later
    #401 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Anyone feeling the glut of magic cards?

I quit around the Urza's Saga time-frame because I couldn't keep up and I was starting a family.

So after ~20 years, a few months ago I completed my Urza's Saga set (thanks to references here to tcgplayer.com). Then I bought a few core 2021 collector boxes, ikoria boosters, ikoria collector boosters, and now VIP double masters. I've fully immersed myself in the new scene and I'm already burned out. It SEEMS like WOTC is appealing to a very high end customer at this point. How many of those whales really exist? I see these "mtg finance" youtube videos where they talk about weekly card prices as if it's a stable, large market (it's not). Also, they reference 'retail' prices as the value when it's actually the buylist/sale prices that are 'real'. The whole 'value' thing feels very inflated to me.

Which brings me to the VIP packs. The new fancy cards are gorgeous_ but I'm not comfortable spending $100 on a few pieces of NEW, corporate-manufactured collectible cardboard. I mean, I did.... sigh.... but I feel uneasy and a bit gross for it.

9 months later
    #420 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am saving in the back of my head for a complete set of the masterpieces and inventions.
    My lgs has both, I can wheel and deal!

If you're a collector, those sets are very, very cool.

But I'd be wary of buying them with long-term investment intentions. WOTC's new formula is reprinting (into the ground) all cards with aftermarket value to pump perceived value of new products. They are making so many special permutations of art, foil, cold-foil, old-border, no-border that very few cards are special anymore (particularly long-term). They're pushing too much into the market too fast. It will be interesting to see how things go.

1 month later
    #424 2 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

It felt like this during Khans as well. They are definitely worth buying now and will only go up from here. That is unless WOTC prints them into oblivion which they have shown reluctance to do.

The next time WOTC ships a product with inflated value (masters, modern, revisited, remastered), reprints will be leveraged to justify increased "value" and pricing. EVERY card on the secondary market worth > ~$20 is a target for constant reprints. So if WOTC's mode continues, I think MTG singles aren't a great investment.

That said, it seems like a good time to buy a playset....

1 year later
    #433 1 year ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Anyone else feel like Hasbro and WotC are running this awesome game into the ground? I’m second hand embarrassed by their greed and starting to get turned off of the game. And the sad thing is my disinterest has nothing to do with the game itself but how they are managing it.

I was sucked back in (as a collector) during the pandemic. I stopped buying cards around 2000 so it was a lot of fun looking through my collection and learning about the last 20 years of releases. I spent lots of $$$ buying and opening new boxes, finishing sets with tcgplayer, etc. But the rate of releases is CRAZY. Who can keep up? The cards and game aren't memorable when the new sets get replaced after a few weeks and the most memorable cards in the set are reprints. Everything is special and yet nothing is special because any card with value will be printed into the ground eventually (given their current trajectory). I'm out...again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reznnate.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-magic-the-gathering?tu=Reznnate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.