2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 329 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 days ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 58 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
    20190531_182955 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20181212_224859 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181109_215327 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3799 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3796 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3795 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3794 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3793 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3792 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3790 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3789 (resized).JPG

There are 329 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 78 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Same thing for buying. You can find anything you want at or under buylist pricing if you put in the time.

I'm on the buying side. Still very much enjoy the game and not looking to sell my collection. That said, I typically use TCGPlayer for cards that I need, how would I go about getting buylist pricing?

#302 78 days ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Another option is to build a Battle Box.

This is kind of funny to me - a year or so ago, I created a Battle Box... without knowing it! I did the same exact idea and followed nearly the exact same rules as what the site says, and I showed it to everyone and said that I thought I heard about something similar online once but couldn't find it. I showed it to a bunch of friends who all loved it, and we play it semi-regularly. My deck is basically all cheap stuff in 93-94 that wouldn't otherwise ever get played, with no mana acceleration, card draw*, discard, or land destruction. It's super fun.

I did change a few rules with it that I now see are standard Battle Box rules:

- You start with seven cards, but can draw each card from either your land pile or the central card library. I actually originally started it with the battle box rules and there was no negative for picking to play an extra land, and I wanted that back with the variability of the various cards. Running it this way works really well. In your first turn, you start out with six regular cards and then use those to determine what your seventh is.

- I put a card drawing option in each land sent. Currently, I have Jayemdae Tome as the option for both players, as it is expensive and has the draw back of minimally missing a turn to play it since it is so mana intensive, and then missing turns to use the card draw. This creates some really neat questions about what to do with your land, and helps smooth poor random card picks.

My box, which has been referred to as "Dan Format" by some of my friends, only cost me about $200 to make and that's because I used almost exclusively the original printing (or up to Unlimited printing) of most cards. Luckily, I did it a while ago because most of those cards have gone up, but I think people could pretty easily make the same set using reprints for under $150 today. If anyone wants, I'll find and post the list.

#303 78 days ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

I'm on the buying side. Still very much enjoy the game and not looking to sell my collection. That said, I typically use TCGPlayer for cards that I need, how would I go about getting buylist pricing?

That may be the difference...I rarely "need" anything. I have a list of about 50-100 cards that I watch and buy whenever they come up at buylist prices. Lately it's been a lot of white enchantment deck staples like Serra's Sanctum, Replenish, and Academy Rector. Not a deck I'm really interested in playing, but that's what happens to be selling undervalued this month. I keep a list of my prices printed out at home and work. I generally watch eBay, Mercari, Craigslist, and Facebook.

PS: In some ways it's similar to pinball, when a deal comes up have cash and be ready to buy it now.

#304 78 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

That may be the difference...I rarely "need" anything. I have a list of about 50-100 cards that I watch and buy whenever they come up at buylist prices. I keep a list of my prices printed out at home and work. I generally watch eBay, Mercari, Craigslist, and Facebook.
    PS: In some ways it's similar to pinball, when a deal comes up have cash and be ready to buy it now.

I'd second using the facebook groups. I'm a cube guy as well (http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/397) and always get the best price for buys/sales on those groups. I've frequently used the high end group for the higher $$ parts of the cube and the bigger general mtg sale groups for the <$50 stuff.

Also, if anyone wants to trade a pin for some IE P9 cards, let me know

#305 78 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

This is kind of funny to me - a year or so ago, I created a Battle Box... without knowing it! I did the same exact idea and followed nearly the exact same rules as what the site says, and I showed it to everyone and said that I thought I heard about something similar online once but couldn't find it. I showed it to a bunch of friends who all loved it, and we play it semi-regularly. My deck is basically all cheap stuff in 93-94 that wouldn't otherwise ever get played, with no mana acceleration, card draw*, discard, or land destruction. It's super fun.
    I did change a few rules with it that I now see are standard Battle Box rules:
    - You start with seven cards, but can draw each card from either your land pile or the central card library. I actually originally started it with the battle box rules and there was no negative for picking to play an extra land, and I wanted that back with the variability of the various cards. Running it this way works really well. In your first turn, you start out with six regular cards and then use those to determine what your seventh is.
    - I put a card drawing option in each land sent. Currently, I have Jayemdae Tome as the option for both players, as it is expensive and has the draw back of minimally missing a turn to play it since it is so mana intensive, and then missing turns to use the card draw. This creates some really neat questions about what to do with your land, and helps smooth poor random card picks.
    My box, which has been referred to as "Dan Format" by some of my friends, only cost me about $200 to make and that's because I used almost exclusively the original printing (or up to Unlimited printing) of most cards. Luckily, I did it a while ago because most of those cards have gone up, but I think people could pretty easily make the same set using reprints for under $150 today. If anyone wants, I'll find and post the list.

I like the pick which one to draw option. We've been playing where you start with 4 cards and can play a land each turn. The draw might make it a bit more interesting. That said, it's a very fun format for sure.

#306 78 days ago

I have started playing arena too. Iam azmodeus in the game.

I am enjoying it. But I also agree it won't kill paper.

I also agree with holding cards for your cube. I have seven of the power nine in there including an unlimited black lotus.

I regret for example selling my time spiral card. Now I have to get another for 60 bucks.

My revised dual lands all sold. Good money if your selling.

#307 76 days ago

As soon as I get around to it I'm gonna sell the rest of my collection. Prolly pay for my new Wonka and another table or 2

Paper prices on the cards I play with are getting to high to justify keeping

#308 76 days ago

My collection of theme decks is al.ost complete, ive got the cold snap ones now, but need a few more evintide and shadowmore and im done.

20190531_182955 (resized).jpg
    #309 76 days ago

Anyone crack packs of Modern Horizon? Anyone hit the lottery and get foil rares and mythics?

Marcus

#310 76 days ago

I’m about to sell the rest of my mtg cards to a shop next week. If anyone wants them for the same price the shop is offering before I sell to the shop message me. Rather sell to a pinhead. Highlight of the cards is a timetwister but have a bunch of nice ones including some modern/foils, legends, antiquities etc.

#311 75 days ago

Don’t sell em cheap the market is high on those cards. To the shops I mean.

Sellers market on those!

#312 75 days ago

If you don’t need the money, I might save the twister. Never going down. IMO.

#313 75 days ago

I actually think paper magic is peaking. I sold my power last year for that reason.

#314 75 days ago

At some point in the future, the bubble will burst and they will be worth next to zero so I'm always considering that inevitable end

1 week later
    #315 66 days ago

Arena is great for me right now.

I highly suggest you try it. It’s free. Also there are codes online to unlock a couple packs for free too. Solid

#316 66 days ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Anyone crack packs of Modern Horizon? Anyone hit the lottery and get foil rares and mythics?
    Marcus

I've opened about 4 boxes (3 whole boxes and then some random packs), the boxes were all medium to bad, but I hit a foil Yawgmoth in the random packs.

#317 66 days ago

Horizons looks like a fun set, but from what I've seen opening packs, it's either really awesome or really bad. There isn't much in between.

Arena is sweet too, but nothing beats paper Magic for me.

#318 66 days ago

What do you guys think of the Horizon Lands? About half of my "collection" are non-basic lands, so I bought a playset to hold onto. I don't expect them to reach Horizon Canopy levels, but I think they will be better then the $12 to $13 each (on average). The ability to cycle cards late game seems useful for any deck that can withstand the pain.

#319 66 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

What do you guys think of the Horizon Lands? About half of my "collection" are non-basic lands, so I bought a playset to hold onto. I don't expect them to reach Horizon Canopy levels, but I think they will be better then the $12 to $13 each (on average). The ability to cycle cards late game seems useful for any deck that can withstand the pain.

They will go up. I agree on buying them now.

#320 66 days ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

They will go up. I agree on buying them now.

I thought perhaps they might drop a little bit if a ton of product was opened, but it just wasn't worth taking all the time to analyze the market. I pretty much just bought them on impulse about a week ago. I think they could be a long term modern or post-modern staple. Then again I did the same for Shock Lands too. Basically if a land is decent, I'm buying.

#321 66 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Basically if a land is decent, I'm buying.

This. All day.

Horizon lands are untapped, dual color, with utility included. Highly surprised if they don't go up from current prices.

#322 66 days ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I've opened about 4 boxes (3 whole boxes and then some random packs), the boxes were all medium to bad, but I hit a foil Yawgmoth in the random packs.

Sorry to hear that. I had great luck with my two boxes of Modern Horizon

Box 1:

5 Mythics -- Urza, Lord High Artificer, Sword of Truth and Justice, Sword of Sinew and Steel, Mox Tantalite and Kess, Dissident Mage.

3 Horizon Lands including Foil Waterlogged Grove, and two normal ones. Nurturing Peatland and Silent Clearing

As well as Force of Negation, Hagaak, Arisen Necropolis, Giver of Runes, Unsettled Mariner, Force of Vigor, Force of Despair, Force of Virtue, and Cloudshredder Sliver.

Box 2:
    Same 3 Horizon lands without the foil
    Same five forces including negation.

5 Mythics including sword of truth and justice, Ranger Captain Of Eos, Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Seasoned Pyromancer, and Morohon, The Boundless. As well as a Foil Snow Covered Island.

Rates included Unsettled Mariner, Cloudshredder Sliver, giver of runes, and Goblin Engineer.

I may buy a couple more boxes and hang tight to see if they become worth anything. Worst case, I crack them later.

Marcus

#323 66 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I thought perhaps they might drop a little bit if a ton of product was opened, but it just wasn't worth taking all the time to analyze the market. I pretty much just bought them on impulse about a week ago. I think they could be a long term modern or post-modern staple. Then again I did the same for Shock Lands too. Basically if a land is decent, I'm buying.

Get the new Fetch too?

#324 65 days ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Get the new Fetch too?

Err...fine. I bought a playset. Fetches might be my favorite non-basic land. Deck thinning, top deck changing, plus the ability to find the land you need...yes please. That's it though. I'm done with Modern Horizons.

#325 65 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Err...fine. I bought a playset. Fetches might be my favorite non-basic land. Deck thinning, top deck changing, plus the ability to find the land you need...yes please. That's it though. I'm done with Modern Horizons.

Lol, smart.

#326 65 days ago

Card actually jumped up 15% since yesterday on TCG. People are buying.

#327 65 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Card actually jumped up 15% since yesterday on TCG. People are buying.

Which one?

Marcus

#328 63 days ago

Anyone order booster boxes from gamenerdz.com?

2 weeks later
    #329 47 days ago

I am really enjoying arena. Very nice to see it take away some of my desire to play world of Warcraft.

That right there shows its excellence. IMO.

If you are at all into magic. Try arena. Free. Slick too. I am azmodeus online.

It's a players game. Wildcards are involved to create cards for your deck.

I play a modified jace deck with 4 hydroid Krasus for fun.

image (resized).jpeg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 14.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 49.95
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 199.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    There are 329 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside