Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 476 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1700 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    20230128_171231.jpg
    20230128_171142.jpg
    D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221219_103716_Gallery (resized).jpg
    DB5C7669-D383-4901-A692-7B31015F0220 (resized).jpeg
    08CE9739-2468-4F38-B7CA-B9B145BFC4E9 (resized).jpeg
    C2382C84-CA2E-4C4D-9B1B-78A2612BD656 (resized).jpeg
    1ED4FA0B-6954-4F4B-B56F-4645BA170AC8 (resized).png
    22AEF4FC-166E-40CA-BD1C-AC1CE1D381C6 (resized).png
    69000402 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    D52BC1EC-9E54-4304-86A4-F2B260734416 (resized).jpeg
    2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg
    There are 476 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
    #201 5 years ago

I had heard about upcoming changes to masterpiece sets. Aren't they technically out of print now.

Zendikar expeditions, and the other two? I don't have any of those. I meant to ask about this.

#202 5 years ago

They are out of print. There has been several buyouts already, none of which I was a part of, but tripled pricing.

The small size of magic inventory makes speculation too easy

#203 5 years ago

Buddy at work got me to play a bit. Dunno if I'm really into it, enough to pickup more cards.
    seems fun if you have have similar strength decks. A starter deck vs a built one is a total blowout.

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Buddy at work got me to play a bit. Dunno if I'm really into it, enough to pickup more cards.
    seems fun if you have have similar strength decks. A starter deck vs a built one is a total blowout.

Yeah, starter decks are really just for learning. Time to start buying singles and power that deck up.

#205 5 years ago

I ran into a friend and found out last night he has played magic like I have since the beginning almost, but got rid of all his cards. Like I did. Before.

I am going to make two decks for us to play old school. The ticket for me now will be having multiple decks built for multiple players.

It almost seems like I should just make a cube. Of my cards now. This particular person would enjoy building his own deck out of my cars now, but I think most of my opponents would prefer a built deck. I'm going to start carrying around my decks to all my pinball tourneys.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#206 5 years ago

For some reason, I've been really curious about MTG recently. Never wanted to play, until now.

Was at Target looking at the cards, and I saw a starter pack. Two decks, 60 cards total I believe, and came with 2 dice. I figured it was common enough I'd be able to find it online, but I've had no luck.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll probably run back to the store again tomorrow to check it out.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

For some reason, I've been really curious about MTG recently. Never wanted to play, until now.
    Was at Target looking at the cards, and I saw a starter pack. Two decks, 60 cards total I believe, and came with 2 dice. I figured it was common enough I'd be able to find it online, but I've had no luck.
    Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll probably run back to the store again tomorrow to check it out.

Yeah, those are the preconstructed starter decks like was just mentioned a few posts up. Probably only sold at places like target and such.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

If you’re looking to get into MTG, I’d suggest getting a “challenger” deck. They are preconstructed decks that are well built for beginners.

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

If you’re looking to get into MTG, I’d suggest getting a “challenger” deck. They are preconstructed decks that are well built for beginners.

I got one recently. Seems like I can compete against my buddys fancier decks out of the box. Cool for someone like me who doesn't know what makes a good deck but wants to be able to go the distance vs a friend who's really into it.

#210 5 years ago

Magic's almost too fun. Haven't played in years though.

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Do not buy that product from Target/Walmart. It's a product only sold at those stores because proper Wizards Play Network game stores are supplied those exact same decks to give out for free.

Go to the official site for Magic and use the store locator to find a store, and they'll be able to give you those decks and save you the money. Additionally they'll be able to help teach you some rules and recommend what to get next if you end up enjoying the game.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Do not buy that product from Target/Walmart. It's a product only sold at those stores because proper Wizards Play Network game stores are supplied those exact same decks to give out for free.
    Go to the official site for Magic and use the store locator to find a store, and they'll be able to give you those decks and save you the money. Additionally they'll be able to help teach you some rules and recommend what to get next if you end up enjoying the game.

I figured there'd be someone that would say, "Do not buy that..." But then follow up with "Buy this super expensive thing instead. You'll be glad you did..."

I like the word free for just starting out and not even knowing if I want to continue with a real collection. I'll have a look around our area. I'm sure we have stores like you're talking about. Heck. We have Gen Con.

#213 5 years ago

I really love that our comic stores and game stores are now pillars of good commerce.

The best of tenants for property owners and great places to hang out.

It doesn't suprise me but it is nice to see.

A friend of mine showed me this website I bought a vault set off it because they are always gone. Locally.

It is also great gauge when in the field and you saw something you don't know if you should buy it.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/

Mtgoldfish aready mentioned too.

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I figured there'd be someone that would say, "Do not buy that..." But then follow up with "Buy this super expensive thing instead. You'll be glad you did..."
    I like the word free for just starting out and not even knowing if I want to continue with a real collection. I'll have a look around our area. I'm sure we have stores like you're talking about. Heck. We have Gen Con.

WaddleJrJr is right on. A local game store will give you these for free. Also, they can help you learn the game with tournaments made for new players. Below is a store locator for Carmel, IN. It appears you have quite a few options.

http://locator.wizards.com/#brand=magic&a=search&p=Carmel,+IN,+USA&c=39.978371,-86.1180435&massmarket=no

Edit: I would also suggest that if you are wanting a deck, similar to my comment above, I would recommend getting a Challenger pre-constructed deck. These are really well-built and competitive out of the box. The value of the cards alone is close to the $30 price depending on which one you buy. And, if $30 seems too much, MTG may not be the game for you.

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

WaddleJrJr is right on. A local game store will give you these for free. Also, they can help you learn the game with tournaments made for new players. Below is a store locator for Carmel, IN. It appears you have quite a few options.
    http://locator.wizards.com/#brand=magic&a=search&p=Carmel,+IN,+USA&c=39.978371,-86.1180435&massmarket=no
    Edit: I would also suggest that if you are wanting a deck, similar to my comment above, I would recommend getting a Challenger pre-constructed deck. These are really well-built and competitive out of the box. The value of the cards alone is close to the $30 price depending on which one you buy. And, if $30 seems too much, MTG may not be the game for you.

All good advice. I like targeting selected cards now. I like foils. Fewer is better for me.

There is not any fun like opening boxes to me, still.

I also enjoy building decks.

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

The challenger decks are perfect for people looking to get into more serious play, but not necessarily the most intuitive for people who just want to give the game a shot. I agree that they're a great value product though and excellent for anyone who wants to play some competitive standard!

What I'd say is the best route for those players is to go with the free intro decks, and then to move on to the Planeswalker decks and the Deckbuilder's Toolkit.

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

The challenger decks are perfect for people looking to get into more serious play, but not necessarily the most intuitive for people who just want to give the game a shot. I agree that they're a great value product though and excellent for anyone who wants to play some competitive standard!
    What I'd say is the best route for those players is to go with the free intro decks, and then to move on to the Planeswalker decks and the Deckbuilder's Toolkit.

That's exactly how I started, and let me say... it sucks to get wrecked. I would show up with my sweet rakdos madness deck (SOI block) that dominated my kitchen table friends learning with me, only to be destroyed at FNM. That said, I 100% agree to learn with the free decks, but I would suggest moving from that to a competitive standard deck (such as a challenger), and using that to play (and compete) against better competition at a FNM. The best way to learn how to build is to play and see what you like. Full transparency, I'm not a fan of the deckbuilder's toolkits or planeswalker decks at all, so bias is intended.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

All good advice. I like targeting selected cards now. I like foils. Fewer is better for me.
    There is not any fun like opening boxes to me, still.
    I also enjoy building decks.

I'm selling my modern jund deck, fully foiled if youd like!

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

Originally we thought we could force wotc fo get rid of the reserve list. Still think it may happen but the prices stuck.

Was this realistically on the table for WOTC? I haven't played Magic in years but this would seem like a big deal. Maybe the universe of players that actually care about the value of Lotus etc. now overlaps so little with the universe of new card buyers that WOTC sees no downside in dropping the Reserve list (and isn't worried about the hit to their credibility, i.e. "never" really just means "never, unless profit maximization dictates otherwise")?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for them reprinting all the old stuff with original art, just a little hard to imagine how WOTC could justify it based on what they've said in the past.

#220 5 years ago

They have already changed the reserve list once. Its fully feasible to do it, will they? Who knows. Confidence in the value and collectibility definitely has value

#221 5 years ago

I've always liked the idea of playing strategic games, but in the past, I lose interest in long games. Played Axis and Allies once. I was done after 2-3 hours. I took myself out on purpose. Same with Texas Holdem. After playing for a while, I get ancy, and start to make stupid bets.

So that's why I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on a game I'm not sure I can handle. (also currently unemployed. So saving money is good. Wasting time is also good.) But I can sit down and play Skyrim until the sun comes back up again. And enjoy playing Hearthstone.

May make a trip to the gaming store tomorrow to talk to them about it.

Are there any apps that simulate MTG? Guessing Hearthstone is nothing like it?

#222 5 years ago

Hearthstone is checkers. Magic is chess, they have magic arena which copied their ui but kept the game but that may still be in beta.

#223 5 years ago

I got an invitation to try that beta. Arena I think. I plan on trying it this week.

I was once heavily into online with a singleton deck. That the most fun I ever had playing magic, some of it. I used to play all night. That was the first version of online.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

They have already changed the reserve list once. Its fully feasible to do it, will they? Who knows. Confidence in the value and collectibility definitely has value

I played prior to the reserve list. Chronicles nearly destroyed MTG in its early stages. The reserve list was a promise to collectors that they would never destroy the value of older cards again. I don't expect it to ever go away.

After Chronicles, I didn't buy cards again until M13 came out, so it got me to leave the game for about 15 years. I left again after a couple years because all the Modern Masters reprints are doing the same thing to more recent cards that Chronicles did to legacy.

#225 5 years ago

I checked Steam out for any kind of card battle games, and they have Magic Duels. Already played a little of it this morning, and already know 1000% more about how to play than I did before.

It's interesting. I can see myself mixing up the attack and defend numbers when playing in person though. My mind gets dyslexia like that sometimes.

*EDIT

Kind wish there were other type of card games that are popular. Did some searching last night and found a WWII game. Now that I could get into. I'd collect the hell out of that if they sold booster packs in the store. Shame that it's only MTG, Pokemon, and Dragonball (or whatever that one is).

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I checked Steam out for any kind of card battle games, and they have Magic Duels. Already played a little of it this morning, and already know 1000% more about how to play than I did before.
    It's interesting. I can see myself mixing up the attack and defend numbers when playing in person though. My mind gets dyslexia like that sometimes.
    *EDIT
    Kind wish there were other type of card games that are popular. Did some searching last night and found a WWII game. Now that I could get into. I'd collect the hell out of that if they sold booster packs in the store. Shame that it's only MTG, Pokemon, and Dragonball (or whatever that one is).

There are quite a few. Star Wars Destiny is also quite popular here. Magic is by far the best IMHO.

#227 5 years ago

Will be interesting to see how Arena plays. The problem MTG has is that it was designed to be a tabletop game. All of the opportunities to interupt your opponent make it the game it is, but also kill the flow for people playing on their phones. Hearthstone has more randomness and less strategy (though still lots of fun IMO), but is much better suited to quick online/phone play.

2 weeks later
    #228 5 years ago

Damn you Magic The Gathering! I'm now apart of a monthly league.

Few weeks ago I went to the local gaming store, and ended up buying one of those Challenger sets. I went to a Friday Night Magic, and ended up signing up for their league.

I will say, it's kind of fun. But not really my thing after playing more games. Some guys are really into it, and really make you frustrated, and it's ruining the fun for me. Magic just isn't for me in any kind of serious capacity.

But also, I used to have some of the Star Wars CCG sets and a few packs. I've bought a few things on ebay just to have them back. Also found a local guy who had 49 various unopened packs for $40. I told him I'd purchase them. We set up a general time, and general location to exchange, and then he ghosted me when that time came. I wasted an hour waiting for him. The next day, I tried to reach out again, and he marked the lot sold.

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Damn you Magic The Gathering! I'm now apart of a monthly league.
    Few weeks ago I went to the local gaming store, and ended up buying one of those Challenger sets. I went to a Friday Night Magic, and ended up signing up for their league.
    I will say, it's kind of fun. But not really my thing after playing more games. Some guys are really into it, and really make you frustrated, and it's ruining the fun for me. Magic just isn't for me in any kind of serious capacity.
    But also, I used to have some of the Star Wars CCG sets and a few packs. I've bought a few things on ebay just to have them back. Also found a local guy who had 49 various unopened packs for $40. I told him I'd purchase them. We set up a general time, and general location to exchange, and then he ghosted me when that time came. I wasted an hour waiting for him. The next day, I tried to reach out again, and he marked the lot sold.

Glad to hear that you gave it a whirl. Sucks to hear the FNM competitive die-hards ruined it for you. FNM is supposed to be fun and not a Rules Enforcement Levels (REL) event. I can understand your frustration, but don't expect it to be like that across the board. At our LGS, we make it clear that teaching & engaging new players is priority one. REL has its place, but against a new player on FNM is not it. That said, hope your league goes well, and welcome to the game!

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Glad to hear that you gave it a whirl. Sucks to hear the FNM competitive die-hards ruined it for you. FNM is supposed to be fun and not a Rules Enforcement Levels (REL) event. I can understand your frustration, but don't expect it to be like that across the board. At our LGS, we make it clear that teaching & engaging new players is priority one. REL has its place, but against a new player on FNM is not it. That said, hope your league goes well, and welcome to the game!

The guy was helpful in making sure I knew what I could do and play, and why he was playing what he was playing. But I don't think you can tell a guy who's been playing for 20 years to not play cards the way they were meant to be played.

He played a lot of instants and spells and exiles. So every time I thought I was making a step forward, he'd knock me back 3 or 4 steps. Even took my "Oh, that's a GREAT card to have in your hand," card and used it against me. And I agreed to play best of 3. So I was done playing with him after the first one.

#231 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

The guy was helpful in making sure I knew what I could do and play, and why he was playing what he was playing. But I don't think you can tell a guy who's been playing for 20 years to not play cards the way they were meant to be played.
    He played a lot of instants and spells and exiles. So every time I thought I was making a step forward, he'd knock me back 3 or 4 steps. Even took my "Oh, that's a GREAT card to have in your hand," card and used it against me. And I agreed to play best of 3. So I was done playing with him after the first one.

Gotcha. That makes sense and I guess comes with the territory. I was thinking you had people who were taking advantage of your not knowing the game and rule sharking you. Glad to hear they were engaging and helping. Obviously the game is very complicated so it takes a bit to learn the interactions. But once you get a feel for it, all other games feel like kids play.

3 weeks later
    #232 5 years ago

Live Beta Booster draft taking place on twitch right now (10PM CDT)

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Marcus

#233 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Live Beta Booster draft taking place on twitch right now (10PM CDT)
    https://www.twitch.tv/magic
    Marcus

Link to the draft video ... https://www.twitch.tv/videos/274346737?t=10h52m10s

So the draft included the following rares:

Mox Emerald
    Time Walk
    Time Vault
    Underground Sea
    Plateau
    Scrublands
    Fastbond
    Wheel Of Fortune
    Nightmare
    Nevinyrral's Disk

Following uncommons:

Icy Manipulator
    Jade Statue
    Counter Spell
    Serra Angel
    Sengir Vampire
    Dragon Whelp
    Basalt Monolith
    Orcish Artillery
    Black Vise

Following commons:

Llanowar Elves x2
    Lightning Bolt
    Fireball x3
    Disentegrate x3

Super cool!

Marcus

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I've been considering selling some of my higher dollar cards to help fund a TNA, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger. Just cant bring myself to do it for some reason.

I'm happy I sold mine. I did have an emotional attachment after all those years but it was a nice chunk of change, and helped me buy a pin.

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Link to the draft video ... https://www.twitch.tv/videos/274346737?t=10h52m10s
    So the draft included the following rares:
    Mox Emerald
    Time Walk
    Time Vault
    Underground Sea
    Plateau
    Scrublands
    Fastbond
    Wheel Of Fortune
    Nightmare
    Nevinyrral's Disk
    Following uncommons:
    Icy Manipulator
    Jade Statue
    Counter Spell
    Serra Angel
    Sengir Vampire
    Dragon Whelp
    Basalt Monolith
    Orcish Artillery
    Black Vise
    Following commons:
    Llanowar Elves x2
    Lightning Bolt
    Fireball x3
    Disentegrate x3
    Super cool!
    Marcus

That's awesome. Thanks for the link!

#236 5 years ago

Hahaha some of those guys are friends of mine. They had a blast. Seemed fun.

#237 5 years ago

Anyone mind taking a look at these pics and letting me know if anything is valuable to any degree? I have roughly 200 cards in this bunch, all mint that I bought in the late 90s. Sorry for the pic spam!

IMG_3274 (resized).JPGIMG_3274 (resized).JPGIMG_3275 (resized).JPGIMG_3275 (resized).JPGIMG_3276 (resized).JPGIMG_3276 (resized).JPGIMG_3277 (resized).JPGIMG_3277 (resized).JPGIMG_3278 (resized).JPGIMG_3278 (resized).JPGIMG_3279 (resized).JPGIMG_3279 (resized).JPGIMG_3280 (resized).JPGIMG_3280 (resized).JPGIMG_3281 (resized).JPGIMG_3281 (resized).JPGIMG_3282 (resized).JPGIMG_3282 (resized).JPGIMG_3283 (resized).JPGIMG_3283 (resized).JPGIMG_3284 (resized).JPGIMG_3284 (resized).JPGIMG_3285 (resized).JPGIMG_3285 (resized).JPGIMG_3286 (resized).JPGIMG_3286 (resized).JPGIMG_3287 (resized).JPGIMG_3287 (resized).JPGIMG_3288 (resized).JPGIMG_3288 (resized).JPGIMG_3289 (resized).JPGIMG_3289 (resized).JPGIMG_3290 (resized).JPGIMG_3290 (resized).JPG
    #238 5 years ago

A couple low value rares but I really don't see any monetary value here at first glance. When you're putting basic land into 9-sleeve pages, well....

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

A couple low value rares but I really don't see any monetary value here at first glance. When you're putting basic land into 9-sleeve pages, well....

I make no claims to be a Magic master

Any idea of a "move it along price" based on what you see? IDK where to start really.

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

I make no claims to be a Magic master
    Any idea of a "move it along price" based on what you see? IDK where to start really.

Sylvan library is your big card. With Ball lightning and brainstorm and a few other smalls, maybe $30??

#241 5 years ago

Cool thanks for your help, I'll take a closer look and pass these onto a collector for a decent price.

#242 5 years ago

You may have something else we could not see. Dual lands in that timeframe are very sought after.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

Anyone mind taking a look at these pics and letting me know if anything is valuable to any degree? I have roughly 200 cards in this bunch, all mint that I bought in the late 90s. Sorry for the pic spam!

I really want the portal 2nd age basic lands. I was putting together a collection of all the basic land Alpha through the rest with all the promos I could get, but portal 2 was hard to come by.

PM me if you want to discuss a price for all of it.

#244 5 years ago

Here is all of what I have in this post. Any idea of a fair price to charge for all of it? Thanks so much in advance. Looking to help someone out, but don't want to give away something because I don't realize a value.

IMG_3781 (resized).JPGIMG_3781 (resized).JPGIMG_3782 (resized).JPGIMG_3782 (resized).JPGIMG_3783 (resized).JPGIMG_3783 (resized).JPGIMG_3784 (resized).JPGIMG_3784 (resized).JPGIMG_3785 (resized).JPGIMG_3785 (resized).JPGIMG_3786 (resized).JPGIMG_3786 (resized).JPGIMG_3787 (resized).JPGIMG_3787 (resized).JPGIMG_3788 (resized).JPGIMG_3788 (resized).JPGIMG_3789 (resized).JPGIMG_3789 (resized).JPGIMG_3790 (resized).JPGIMG_3790 (resized).JPGIMG_3791 (resized).JPGIMG_3791 (resized).JPGIMG_3792 (resized).JPGIMG_3792 (resized).JPGIMG_3793 (resized).JPGIMG_3793 (resized).JPGIMG_3794 (resized).JPGIMG_3794 (resized).JPGIMG_3795 (resized).JPGIMG_3795 (resized).JPGIMG_3796 (resized).JPGIMG_3796 (resized).JPGIMG_3797 (resized).JPGIMG_3797 (resized).JPGIMG_3798 (resized).JPGIMG_3798 (resized).JPGIMG_3799 (resized).JPGIMG_3799 (resized).JPG
    #245 5 years ago

Cool. I'll price the cards worth anything and shoot you an offer tomorrow.

4 months later
    #246 5 years ago

Anyone selling any Magic stuff right now? I'm buying

#247 5 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Anyone selling any Magic stuff right now? I'm buying

Where you getting your buy list prices?

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Where you getting your buy list prices?

I usually reference TCGPlayer Market Price and go from there based on how worthwhile the cards are.

#249 5 years ago

God I've got so much.

Foil jund in modern to old restricted lust stuff. Been to lazy to list it on Ebay. What are you looking for?

#250 5 years ago

I've got a ton worth selling, but my thing has been that I dont need the money for anything, so I haven't been interested in selling. Last time I sold cards, I sold my Chains of Mephistopheles for $50. Its now worth 800.

There are 476 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-magic-the-gathering/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.