Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 477 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1700 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    20230128_171231.jpg
    20230128_171142.jpg
    D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221219_103716_Gallery (resized).jpg
    DB5C7669-D383-4901-A692-7B31015F0220 (resized).jpeg
    08CE9739-2468-4F38-B7CA-B9B145BFC4E9 (resized).jpeg
    C2382C84-CA2E-4C4D-9B1B-78A2612BD656 (resized).jpeg
    1ED4FA0B-6954-4F4B-B56F-4645BA170AC8 (resized).png
    22AEF4FC-166E-40CA-BD1C-AC1CE1D381C6 (resized).png
    69000402 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    D52BC1EC-9E54-4304-86A4-F2B260734416 (resized).jpeg
    2a549ec9109f813f241c7b0f87dd8abfe776731e (resized).jpg
    There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
    #451 1 year ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I would personally never sell my collection to just one person. I have sold out multiple times and always get much more money by shopping around. You do you.

Hence my post above...

Selling to one place is quick and easy, but less profitable.
    Selling card by card is slow and hard, but more profitable.

Which is "best"? That depends on how much you value your time/effort.

#452 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I'm sitting on a small fortune, starting out in late '93 and ending around '96/7. Haven't played in a long time. I've given many unopened packs away over the years to friends that still play, but now they have more or less exited the game/stopped buying.
    Have a number of unopened revised boosters/starter decks, unlimited boosters, some unopened legends/dark, and binders with unplayed stuff. I do not have any lotuses or moxes anymore, but have a ton of dual lands, and multiple complete sets of revised, and a TON of A/B/U in various conditions.
    What's my best avenue to convert these for cash to buy more pinball machines?
    I'm guessing the unopened unlimited boosters are where the real money is, and maybe (for the dual lands) the unopened revised?
    I wouldn't mind selling as a lot to avoid the cherry pickers, but I'm guessing I need to tabulate a value of rares/uncommons that are actually worth something, then tabulate a fair market price from there, and unload the unopened stuff separately?

Quoted from isJ:

I would personally never sell my collection to just one person. I have sold out multiple times and always get much more money by shopping around. You do you.

Agree with this statement!!! It takes more work, but worth sprinkling around your collection to get the return your cards are actually worth.

To highlight one location not stated is to use TCGPlayer website. I sold mine back in 2018 and its layout/interface is different.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/search/magic/30th-anniversary-edition?productLineName=magic&setName=30th-anniversary-edition&page=1&view=grid

What I like about it is when you sell it you get to see the product, perform quick queries and know what are low/avg/high asking prices.

I also used Ebay before they changed terms and condition crap.

#453 1 year ago

I hardly ever play anymore, but I do still follow Pauper. I have a small battle box with around 10 decks.

1 week later
    #454 1 year ago

Hi all,

I received this as a gift this Christmas, but I already have a bunch of custom deck boxes for my decks and unfortunately they don't accept returns.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/783136374/ultimate-commander-deck-box-kraken-theme?ref=share_v4_lx

Reasonable offer, or any advice where sell this would be appreciated.

#455 1 year ago
    Quoted from mjenison:

Hi all,
    I received this as a gift this Christmas, but I already have a bunch of custom deck boxes for my decks and unfortunately they don't accept returns.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/783136374/ultimate-commander-deck-box-kraken-theme?ref=share_v4_lx
    Reasonable offer, or any advice where sell this would be appreciated.

Damn that's amazing. Wish I had friends/family like that!

#456 1 year ago

So glad I got out of collecting in 2018. It was Modern Masters 2015 that bothered me.

I bought only 2 boxes as they were inflated around $300 a box. I remember I bought 8-9 boxes of Modern Masters 2013 for about $150 on average for each.

I could not justify continuing to buy when I noticed the release cycle for new sets coming out frequently… also, Commander decks were becoming popular around those years.

It just never ended. So, I had to end it. Seeing new prices for these foil modern packs is insane.

Shame on Wizard!!!

They should make a new version of Shandalar!!! Being that back with new sets.

#457 1 year ago

They need a shake up at hasbro/wizards.

Don’t sell now because of it though imo. The company may be making massive bad decisions, but what you have already is still full of value. Not to mention playability.

I am holding and playing. Honestly someone needs to be fired at hasbro/wizards.

The community is strong and smart. It’s a great game. The community is the shining Star right now. Imo.

D03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpegD03D3DC1-D198-4A6A-A210-100A67640D0F (resized).jpeg
    #458 1 year ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

They need a shake up at hasbro/wizards.
    Don’t sell now because of it though imo. The company may be making massive bad decisions, but what you have already is still full of value. Not to mention playability.
    I am holding and playing. Honestly someone needs to be fired at hasbro/wizards.
    The community is strong and smart. It’s a great game. The community is the shining Star right now. Imo.
    [quoted image]

Wow… thanks for enlightening me on the subject. Never dawn on me to go on YouTube to see people’s opinion on MTG. Great video and what a shame.

That video was spot on.. I have not been following the scene since 2018 ish and the video did remind me why I got out.

Over 40 new products released this year alone!! Dang, spite what good was provided this year that is overkill to add.

This is also how I feel about Hearthstone. Was fun the first few years when it launched and then they always add a money grab system that ruins the fun factor.

#459 1 year ago

I got out of MTG a few years ago when you could see wizards was turning it into a collection first product.

So I decided to spend money on cheap hobbies like pinball and buying rare bourbon.

3 weeks later
    #460 1 year ago

Anyone know if there's a market for old, empty magic boxes? Still with original, empty wrappers?

20230128_171142.jpg20230128_171142.jpg20230128_171231.jpg20230128_171231.jpg
    6 months later
    #461 10 months ago

Not that any body watches this thread, but I wanted to just announce (as the "proud uncle") that my nephew Jake Beardsley just WON ProTour:Barcelona!

#462 10 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Not that any body watches this thread, but I wanted to just announce (as the "proud uncle") that my nephew Jake Beardsley just WON ProTour:Barcelona!

Very nice congrats! Just saw this thread at the top otherwise I don't play anymore. I started playing back in revised. Played for 5 years or so and sold most of my collection. I still have thousands of cards, but i'm sure mostly commons. I do need to take a careful look one day though. I now play Hearthstone to scratch the itch from time to time because it's free.

1 month later
    #463 9 months ago

I play arena a lot and commander when I can. Wizards has given the hardcore fans the absolute middle finger, myself included.

It started with the magic 30 reprint fiasco, but they have doubled down really showing me, I am somehow not their target audience. When I absolutely am the target. This irritates me when a hardcore audience is somehow stated not to be the target audience.

As a financial impact I was up to about 2k a year in new product. This year I am at $200 and holding.

I love the game and will always play. But they really are destroying their loyal base.

IMG_1700 (resized).jpegIMG_1700 (resized).jpegIMG_1701 (resized).jpegIMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    #464 9 months ago

So... any you guys still play MTG Shandalar?

I just saw a team of die hard fans expand the original game to include new Cards with rules up to year 2016. So, all the AI's use updated Decks as well. It is a little overwhelming as I have not played with many of these cards.

However, it has allowed me to enjoy the game again.

Plus, I have a Steam Deck and can play it on that system! Its nice when I want to chill on the bed and relax for the night.

#465 9 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

So... any you guys still play MTG Shandalar?
    I just saw a team of die hard fans expand the original game to include new Cards with rules up to year 2016. So, all the AI's use updated Decks as well. It is a little overwhelming as I have not played with many of these cards.
    However, it has allowed me to enjoy the game again.
    Plus, I have a Steam Deck and can play it on that system! Its nice when I want to chill on the bed and relax for the night.

Oh that brings me back. That game was so fun. I'll have to look up the new stuff.

#466 9 months ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I play arena a lot and commander when I can. Wizards has given the hardcore fans the absolute middle finger, myself included.
    It started with the magic 30 reprint fiasco, but they have doubled down really showing me, I am somehow not their target audience. When I absolutely am the target. This irritates me when a hardcore audience is somehow stated not to be the target audience.
    As a financial impact I was up to about 2k a year in new product. This year I am at $200 and holding.
    I love the game and will always play. But they really are destroying their loyal base.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm kind of surprised at how Wizards has pushed Arena. I spend lots of time playing Arena now, but spend far less money than I used to.

I used to play Magic Online, buying lots of online cards and also buying lots of physical cards. Now I buy much less physical cards, and spend almost nothing on Arena - even though I am playing more Magic overall.

Seems to me that Arena is a really bad business-plan.

In other news, my nephew will be playing in the Worlds Championship this weekend...wish him luck!

#467 9 months ago

Azmodeus honestly, I just play the old school/premodern type formats at this point. The game has sucked ass a long time now and the eternal formats are screwed. Join a skype playgroup, enjoy

#468 9 months ago

Most here will never experience the joy of somebody ripping up a chaos orb into tiny pieces and literally tossing it up in the air and scattering it over the entire play surface during a multiplayer game…and it counted. Ahh, 1994 was a “magical” summer.

5 months later
    #469 3 months ago

I have two complete sets of revised dual lands. Is there any interest here or do you know a good site for selling these? I wish there was a Pinside for magic cards. Anyone know of anything similar? Thanks in advance!

IMG_4504 (resized).jpegIMG_4504 (resized).jpeg
    #470 3 months ago

I've sold them on both TCG Player and eBay in the past. I've only run into issue buying them, but there is always some risk. Just make sure you really inspect them with a jewelry loop, so you can fight if someone tries to pull a swap.

#471 3 months ago

Old School groups on facebook are a good place as well.

#472 3 months ago

I'm sure Alpha Investments would be happy to make a deal for all of them if you want to see them go to a hoarder.

#473 3 months ago

Rudy's such a turd lol

#474 3 months ago

Yeah, if he wants "Rudy pricing" I'd probably be interested. I don't think there is anything completely wrong with that...I recently sold off a bunch of my old video games in bulk and I'm sure I got way less then the 60% value that he pays. There is certainly a value with just being done with it and not having to worry about individual buyers, multiple shipping, etc.

#475 3 months ago

Yup, just like every other store buy list. You pay for the convenience.

#476 3 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

Rudy's such a turd lol

50% off what a deal. I’ll just keep them.

2 months later
    #477 30 days ago

I have 8 years of trade to process. Then again if I wait two more its a full decade.

I truly enjoy super selectively buying cards and playing arena as well. Arena is the players game, hit me up you know my name!

There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-you-magic-the-gathering/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.