1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 260 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 54 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181109_215327 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3799 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3796 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3795 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3794 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3793 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3792 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3790 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3789 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3788 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3787 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3786 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3785 (resized).JPG

There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 1 year ago

The only way I would want more Magic is if the artifacts were real.

Really though having had three brain surgeries and a stroke last year, I no longer care much for video games.

Although I sold out of Magic Ten years ago I am pulled back in. Those Freaking Cards the foils especially are like crack to me. Any suggestions besides run away as fast as possible for a returning player?

#2 1 year ago

i hear you man. Started playing in 94. In high school we even had several teachers who played in our group after school. I've got a massive collection in storage that needs to go to a new home. Hard to list something whose value could purchase 8 to 10 A list pins.

Don't run away. there is a reason the game is going strong after 24 years!

#3 1 year ago

Biggest regret I have is selling my cards while in college when I needed the money.
    Miss them badly.

#4 1 year ago

Yes I sold my collection about 20 years ago.
    I needed the money badly and it was the smart thing to do but I regret it.

I kept some of the really crazy power nine, those cards are extremely valuable now eh? I am eyeballing the kaladesh masterpieces what is wrong with me. You would think that sol ring actually does something.

Less is more now for me, I guess into longer need them "all".

Let's keep our club going. Does anyone have a favorite box? Also I am interested in key foils.

image (resized).jpeg

#5 1 year ago

NNNNNNEEEEERRRRDDDDDDDSSSS!!!!!

#6 1 year ago

nerds (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

NNNNNNEEEEERRRRDDDDDDDSSSS!!!!!

Put me in that group, although I haven't played for years. Like most people I was in and out, but never sold my collection. They lost me last time (for good?) when they started changing it too much - adding card types like Planeswalkers and such. I see they've even now given colorless mana a symbol, which is dumb.

The thing that really annoyed me was the introduction of Mythic Rares. Just seems like such a money grab.

#8 1 year ago

The mythic rates are nothing like the subset cash grabs like the kaladesh masterpieces which are all new art reprints. A subset of roughly a 100 cards that come 1 in every four booster boxes, it's got to be more futile buying boxes than it was back in legends. I picked up a box of kaladesh and got zero masterpieces. They look amazing, though.

#9 1 year ago

Another magic collector here! I sold off my collection after college to help pay down my student debt and the bought back in once I had a good income. I have a foiled out cube for drafting with the wife and kids and I collect graded Power, high-end foils, and sealed booster boxes for fun and potential appreciation. Wizards/Hasbro is making some questionable business decisions with the game right now, pushing too much product out the door I think, but the flavor/art/rules on the game continue to be AAA, so I'll keep playing and buying in. Those Masterpieces really are obscene!

#10 1 year ago

I'll have to look into those masterpieces. I haven't followed lately.

I used to buy boxes all the time too. Seems less and less the way to go.

Edit: Those bastards. Reprinting stuff like the swords and Lotus Petal. There goes the value of my originals!

#11 1 year ago

I've been a casual player off-and-on since around 1993. What always drives me away are the prices. I had the most fun when it was just a bunch of kids opening packs, trading cards, and building the best decks we could. The average price of our decks was under $20. I had a Elvis Bee Farmer deck which pumped up Killer Bees. That was ruined for me when some of the kids started pumping serious money into their decks. I had a friend who bought a full playset of Duel Lands. I thought he was crazy for dropping that kind of money, but obviously they are worth x100 what he spent now. The other thing that ruined if for me was the internet. When we first started playing it was about building your own decks. I had a printout which had all of the cards listed. We'd go through that with a highlighter and make our decks. Building decks off of the internet ruined my favorite part of the game. To be fair, now their are so many cards that it's more understandable.

#12 1 year ago

Started back in the early 90's in high school as well... Nothing wrong with playing but good gosh man DON'T TRY TO COLLECT THEM ALL! ^_^ You could sink your entire income into cards and still never really make a dent in the collection heheh

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

Started back in the early 90's in high school as well... Nothing wrong with playing but good gosh man DON'T TRY TO COLLECT THEM ALL! ^_^ You could sink your entire income into cards and still never really make a dent in the collection heheh

Not to even mention variants like Judge promos...

I was a huge promo collector and basic land collector. My prized possession is my set of Guru basic lands. The number of alt-art promo basic lands it pretty huge, and some of them have significant value.

#14 1 year ago

holy s... the prices of those Masterpieces. And this is a brand new set!

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/price-guide/magic/masterpiece-series-kaladesh-inventions

#15 1 year ago

The prior crazy subset was lands, zendikar expeditions or something like that. Still insane rarity and cost.

I did make good money off Magic and played through a large chunk of the 90s sold all my cards mostly for a tidy profit at the time.
    Although I am divorced all the money I consistently made in Magic made my ex wife shut up about my Hobbies.

I ended up actually making about an extra grand when all was said and done. Not bad for a hobby that I spent a lot of time playing. The only real regret about Magic I ever had was mass selling off the cards. Oh well. Live and learn.

#16 1 year ago

My friend who played with me back in the day just sold his old collection for almost 4 thousand two weeks ago. 4K he made 2 house payments.

These cards if you have them are probably your most valuable old collectible right now.

#17 1 year ago

There's no doubt they're my most valuable collectible. Everything else I have isn't worth crap. lol.

Every time I mention what some card is up to my wife says "Good, sell it." She wants another purse or something.

#18 1 year ago

Jeesh these things worth sizable money? I have a 1000 card box of each color and they are all from pre 5-edition.

#19 1 year ago

From what I've seen anything prior to the dark is gold, dual lands are a lot. I used to hate to get those but eventually learned to love them.

#20 1 year ago

The one thing I really like is you can hunt cards on the Internet.

I target foils I can easily do this on eBay and others.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

Jeesh these things worth sizable money? I have a 1000 card box of each color and they are all from pre 5-edition.

All depends on what you have. Cards from pre-5e can be worth a cent to a grand.

#22 1 year ago

Yeah you would probably need to hire an appraiser or someone who loves them to go through. Do old cards have relevance now? I heard there was a major major rule set change at some point? Like completely remove the "stack" or something?

#23 1 year ago

The older cards are insanely priced now, and I believe it is due to rarity, very few made of the sets.

I sold a perfect set of legends and Arabians back in the day. Alpha beta and unlimited are printed gold right now. I have a couple cards I want to get appraised.

I went through a 10000 comic collection after my stroke and 3 brain surgeries but found out my few Magic cards I kept are worth far more than any of my other collectibles.

Sadly, or fortunately, here I am buying and playing again. I'll go with fortunately.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

These cards if you have them are probably your most valuable old collectible right now.

I bet not...if I still had my full set of Fallen Empires it would be worth exactly dick.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I bet not...if I still had my full set of Fallen Empires it would be worth exactly dick.

Hahah Fallen Empires, 4th Edition and Homelands.... there was a collective "well, Magic was fun while it lasted!". Thank goodness that Ice Age was a solid recovery at the time. Will never forget my best trade in college. Shipping a booster box of Ice Age to Italy (where they didn't have any) for a return box of Italian Legends.

#26 1 year ago

I got out right around the end of Ice Age/Mirage. Don't regret it. Boosters were starting to rise in price, old cards were already way too expensive, and they started adding a bunch of ridiculous mechanics that only get used for a set or two then vanish.. now the game is just a hodgepodge of crap, IMO. It's like listening to someone else speak a foreign language that has a totally different phonetic system.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

The only way I would want more Magic is if the artifacts were real.
    Really though having had three brain surgeries and a stroke last year, I no longer care much for video games.
    Although I sold out of Magic Ten years ago I am pulled back in. Those Freaking Cards the foils especially are like crack to me. Any suggestions besides run away as fast as possible for a returning player?

My advise : If you must stay and be pulled back in.... stick to buying the specific singles you want for your decks. Trying to get what you want out of packs, boxes, or even full cases is a waste of money.

#28 1 year ago

Sold my cards as well about 10 years ago. Magic is still fun and i try to keep up on certain aspects of it. Its getting a bit too rule-intense for me now, but its amazing how long it has lasted.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

Yeah you would probably need to hire an appraiser or someone who loves them to go through. Do old cards have relevance now? I heard there was a major major rule set change at some point? Like completely remove the "stack" or something?

Old cards will always get errata if there is that much of a rule change that they wouldn't make sense. Most of the old cards can still be played in Legacy and Vintage formats.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

That all depends on what cards are in that 1000 card box.

1000 Black Lotus would be at $3 Million
    1000 Swamps might be worth $20

So I value your collection somewhere between $20 and $3,000,000.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I think I still got mine! lol

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

That all depends on what cards are in that 1000 card box.
    1000 Black Lotus would be at $3 Million
    1000 Swamps might be worth $20
    So I value your collection somewhere between $20 and $3,000,000.

Well if someone is interested in taking a look, even for personal purchase, I can bring them to pintastic. I don't play anymore, I was able to get my wife to play while she was pregnant in the winter but besides if my son who is 3 wants to play in the future I will not be joining back in.

#33 1 year ago

Sold my collection many years ago, but I still play MTG on Xbox. It's a fun & cheap way to keep playing.

#34 1 year ago

I've heard about the resurgence in popularity of Magic over the last 5 years or so. I've so far resisted jumping back in. I still have stacks of 5000-card boxes and boxes of binders full of rares. But it would take me months to sort out what's worth anything at this point.

#35 1 year ago

I was HUGE into MTG during the Ice Age era, got out of it until Zendikar, stayed big into it until Gatecrash, now I don't have the time nor inclination to mess with it anymore. I'm much more into the silver ball nowadays!

So if you don't want to spend a lot of loot on MTG but you still want to scratch that itch, might I suggest...

-Magic Duels. What used to be Duels of the Planeswalkers.

-Magic Puzzle Quest. MTG meets match three for a surprisingly deep experience.

-Hearthstone. Blizzard's answer to MTG. It's... almost better than MTG? I know, Blasphemy.

-Ascenscion & Dominion. Two "deck building" games that are very similar to playing in a MTG draft. Oh and speaking of...

-Magic Online "Cube Draft". Get the Magic Online client. Don't let the allure of all those cards suck you into buying them; instead, play in a CUBE DRAFT with cards from all eras! You don't get to keep the cards you draft, but you do win credits to get you into more cube drafts if you're good...

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

-Magic Puzzle Quest. MTG meets match three for a surprisingly deep experience.

I played this for a long time. Recently got out of it because they keep screwing with their drop rates and it's become impossible to get any new good cards. (also, crazy bugs, and way too time consuming because of the 24/7 events)

But it was really good/fun.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I got out right around the end of Ice Age/Mirage. Don't regret it.

Ice Age did it for me as well. I think I cherry picked a couple high power cards for my deck from later sets but I can;t even remember

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I played this for a long time. Recently got out of it because they keep screwing with their drop rates and it's become impossible to get any new good cards. (also, crazy bugs, and way too time consuming because of the 24/7 events)
    But it was really good/fun.

I'm not into it much anymore for the reasons you listed. But I thought I'd mention it anyway...

#39 1 year ago

I played a lot of MTG 1999-2001, but I quit. There was nobody playing it where I lived.
    Now I have this huge collection of cards I am going to sell off to buy more pinball stuff.
    I really regret not buying more high value cards. Black lotus for 500$, that would have al let been a NIB today

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Axl:

I really regret not buying more high value cards.

I mentioned above my friend bought full playset of duel lands. I called him crazy for spending $400. Now that's what $4000 - $5000?

#41 1 year ago

When I quit I was playing online a lot I had a wonderful prismatic singleton deck that was nearly all foil very nice and fun to play.

When they switched the client I was out. It sucked so bad I think almost everyone quit. It was a slow painful death for Magic online at the time but they survived.

I like the actual physical cards again but I am sticking with selective buying.

#42 1 year ago

Sold my black lotus last year for 1750 now it's worth a little over 3 Grand, oops

#43 1 year ago

Someone said it in the stock market forum, but it applies with selling MTG: "It's better to be a sore winner then a sore loser."

#44 1 year ago

Time to dig out my 4 Volcanic Islands & 4 Mana Drains.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Time to dig out my 4 Volcanic Islands & 4 Mana Drains.

That should get you a really nice "B" list pinball machine.

Marcus

#47 1 year ago

A good alternative is actually a game called Epic. Only need 1 or more decks and multi people can play. I was inquiring about MTG at our local game shop and they said to try Epic so it won't break my wallet.

#48 1 year ago

Dude: Dont make me tap all my mana and bring out this shivan dragon(player makes dragon roaring noise)

Sold all my stuff from 92-97 on eBay for about 500 back in 2001. It's worth a lot more now I bet(small fortune).

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Buju:

Dude: Dont make me tap all my mama and bring out this shivan dragon(player makes dragon roaring noise)

*Yawn* Terror.

#50 1 year ago

Come on man. The shiv brought out in 94 meant game over unless you had a lucky draw, or a overpriced deck. And if you somehow got 2 out.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 27.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.99
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 329.00
    $ 14.95
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.00
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 16.99
    $ 49.95
    There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside