Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1.gif
    A68D6202-BE7C-4E2D-A1DE-05626A345E0F (resized).jpeg
    123049394_4023125994367619_1981000303441327411_o (resized).jpg
    cat (resized).JPG
    bikes (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    chaincutter (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

My internet fix-it guy said there was a big rash of catalytic converters thefts in So Cal, they stole one outta his work van.

Yep, happening all the time. Several right in my neighborhood, including one in the house just behind us. They do it even if the car is in the driveway. Takes less than one minute, they have some type of sawzall and they just go under, make 2 cuts, throw it in their car and drive away. I’m going to have some anti theft guards welded on soon, hope they don’t get me before I get around to it.

#51 3 years ago

Wow, I didn’t imagine TX being like that. Here in CA yes, but Texas too? That bums me out.

Also, in CA we have “special” catalytic converters or cats. So no you can’t bypass it with a pipe or even put in anything other than the more expensive CA-approved one. You would get away with it for up to two years depending on the timing of your last smog check. But it will immediately get noticed on your next one, so no smog check pass, and no registration. Just ask O-din.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man sounds like you guys live in the wild wild west!
    23 years in New York City I've never had a single thing stolen. You guys should move here where it's nice and safe!
    I did have a bike stolen when I was a kid and it sucked. Amazingly enough it was found by the cops and we picked it up at the station. It was, as the Lebowski cops said, "A joyride situation."

I guess if you aren't here, you would not believe it. The scale of it is absolutely absurd. I will agree that it isn't really the fault of the police themselves. Beyond that, you are into a political discussion.

One person took a video of a guy who was in the middle of cutting off a bike lock, and yelled at him I'm calling the cops. He just laughed at her and said go ahead, they won't do anything.

There is a completely out in the open "swap meet" in a public park where they gather to share and swap all their stolen stuff. Nothing is done. A few brave people go right up to them if they see their stolen bikes and take them back. Big dudes I presume.

It is common for people to walk into stores, take an armful of merchandise, and walk out. Even if this is called in, nothing is done. Nothing.

Basically, if you leave a bicycle out anywhere for more than 30 seconds, locked or not, it will be stolen. Here is a pic on one of the homeless encampments they cleaned out. More than 1000 bikes stashed away. The police said "some of them -might- be stolen". Might be. MmHmm, I am sure they bought and paid for most of them.

bikes (resized).jpgbikes (resized).jpg

As I am sitting working and typing this and the news is on in the background, there is a story about catalyst converter thefts. They stole one off a Meals On Wheels van. The LA sheriff's help: Etch your license plate number and spray paint their logo on your cat. Haha as if that will do anything.

This is how we live. Its sunny here though, every day.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

A sawzall is pretty loud!

It doesn't matter. The job is so quick that by the time anyone can react, they are out of there. I think its like 30 seconds to cut it out and yank it. Even in the middle of the night, it wakes people up. The lady just behind me heard it about 3 AM and ran outside immediately but only just in time to see the car driving away, and could not ID the license plate. Another guy posting on the Nextdoor app says he ran out and was able to throw something (I forgot what, a rock?) and smash their back window as they drove away.

1 week later
    #148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Over the years I've had vehicles stolen, broken into, and general vandalism done. There is a feeling of violation that comes with it, and anger and frustration soon follow.
    One of the funniest things I every heard was on the radio several years ago. A radio station somehow wired a car to where the steering wheel was electrified, then parked it in downtown Dallas on the street with the doors unlocked. They then put a cell phone in the car that was dialed into another phone they were monitoring and waited. From my recollection, over time there were 3 or 4 different occasions where someone got in the car to steal it. When they put their hands on the steering wheel the sounds and expletive's that came out of them was hilarious. One guy even tried 3 or for times, yelling each time, before he got out of the car and walked away.
    I'm sure many of us who've had vehicles broken into and stolen would love to somehow rig them so that anyone attempting to steal them would suffer some sort of damage/injury (non-permanent of course).

There was a TV show called Bait Car that was running a few years back, it was funny as hell. The police had these cars that had hidden cameras pointed at the driver, and they had remote control capability so they could shut down the engine and lock the doors at will. They would leave them parked somewhere and wait for someone to get in and steal it. The look on the faces of the thieves was priceless, first the sheer joy of getting the car and starting out down the road, and then the panic when it shuts down a short while later and all the doors are locked and they can't get out, and finally that realization that they've been busted as the police cars start pulling up around them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-i-hate-thieves?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.