(Topic ID: 174435)

Damn eBay auctions - who sniped my snipe on that Pop-A-Card?

By Otaku

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (4) (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Put an insanely high-above-the-others bid on this project Pop-A-Card I really wanted with 3 seconds to go and with 1 second left some guy put $5 more.

I have been watching this auction incredibly closely for the whole week it was up, feels like such a waste!

I was only hoping to spend about $300 anyways so I am kind of, in a way, glad I got outbid. It was worth $300 because of the nice playfield and cabinet and would have happily paid my $350 (last bid) for it but not sure how I would feel about paying more seeing as I have found some real gems for less and this one needed some work.

Win some you lose some, I guess! Vent post. Usually I am the sniper, not the snipee! What an awful feeling that site can induce, wow! More money for Pinfest I guess.

ebay.com link: GOTTLIEB POP A CARD PINBALL MACHINE COMPLETE BUT NEED TLC

Which one of you guys was it?

s-l1600 (4) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (4) (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

That's simply what happens with ebay auctions.

I wish the auction time would get extended each time there is an additional bid. That's what happens at real auctions... bidding remains open until there is no more bidding.

#3 7 years ago

I think Frank from RGP did it.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Put an insanely high-above-the-others bid on this project Pop-A-Card I really wanted with 3 seconds to go and with 1 second left some guy put $5 more.
I have been watching this auction incredibly closely for the whole week it was up, feels like such a waste!
I was only hoping to spend about $300 anyways so I am kind of, in a way, glad I got outbid. It was worth $300 because of the nice playfield and cabinet and would have happily paid my $350 (last bid) for it but not sure how I would feel about paying more seeing as I have found some real gems for less and this one needed some work.
Win some you lose some, I guess! Vent post. Usually I am the sniper, not the snipee! What an awful feeling that site can induce, wow! More money for Pinfest I guess.
ebay.com link » Gottlieb Pop A Card Pinball Machine Complete But Need Tlc

The bid of the winner probably was more than $355.00

Robert

#5 7 years ago

Lol @ "snipe"

That's a word I haven't heard in 10 years or so.

Nice to know there's still actual bidding on eBay!

#6 7 years ago

I was watching it too,thought it would go for more.
Mike

#7 7 years ago

I don't buy pinball machines from eBay. Only vintage baseball cards. I hate being "sniped" but it's is a very exciting process and I don't think I would like buying on eBay as much without it. Kind of a thrill thing I guess

#8 7 years ago

I bid what I'm willing to pay. Then I either win, or I'm happy because I didn't pay more than I wanted. Win/Win.

#9 7 years ago

It's not the last second bidders I hate, it's the non serious ones who are just playing around.

#10 7 years ago

it was me, I needed some fire wood

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

It's not the last second bidders I hate, it's the non serious ones who are just playing around.

I roll my eyes when the item is relisted a day or two later

#12 7 years ago

I had a "backup deal" in mind to spend my money on if I didn't win this one and thinking about it I'm pretty happy things went how they did, or if not, at least I'm going to go ahead and be optimistic about it. Not thrilled about losing this auction, but the "burn" has been eased a little. I'll post some pictures once I pick it up around the middle of the week, I'm not breaking the golden rule, that's for sure! Maybe not as popular as Pop-A-Card and maybe a little less thrilling but not one you see very often, the first time I even saw a picture of it was on the ad and I'm going to take the plunge - pun not originally intended but relates, and not talking about pinball plungers! My mom is such a sweet lady - I lightly mentioned about losing the auction (and how long I've been tracking it and stuff) and she just said. "It just wasn't meant to be." Perhaps it's true.

Then told me to come over to her friend's house where she was, her husband is a friend of mine and has a basement full of CQ wedgeheads. What a mom. A fun night was had for sure.

Quoted from bigdaddy1:

Robert

Very true.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy1:

This.
I know intellectually it is very unlikely that the winning bidder's max bid was only 5 bucks more. More than likely it was $50, $100, heck it could have been twice what I was willing to pay. And, yet emotionally, I can't help but think "damn, if I'd just bid $6 more, it would be mine!"

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

This.
I know intellectually it is very unlikely that the winning bidder's max bid was only 5 bucks more. More than likely it was $50, $100, heck it could have been twice what I was willing to pay. And, yet emotionally, I can't help but think "damn, if I'd just bid $6 more, it would be mine!"

The only way you know you just barely got beaten is if the next bidder winning bid is less than that actual increment of the auction. I always add several cents on the end of my bid in case the other bidder places the exact same bid as I do

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's simply what happens with ebay auctions.
I wish the auction time would get extended each time there is an additional bid. That's what happens at real auctions... bidding remains open until there is no more bidding.

Makes no sense why eBay doesn't do this. They are leaving a lot of money on the table by not doing so.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Makes no sense why eBay doesn't do this. They are leaving a lot of money on the table by not doing so.

Not necessarily. Usually the frantic, last second, bid is so emotional that you end up bidding way more than you normally would under less pressure. I don't know how many times "sniping" has led directly to buyers remorse for myself

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

it was me, I needed some fire wood

Really? I saw the game in person. It was definitely a worthy project, except apparently Ron Webb doesn't have the glass anymore. That's what drove me away from making a higher offer.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I bid what I'm willing to pay. Then I either win, or I'm happy because I didn't pay more than I wanted. Win/Win.

Exactly how I approach eBay auctions or any auction for that matter.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Could it have been Steve Young?

#20 7 years ago

Oh wow! I was tracking this too, as I had just bought a "Drop-A-Card" and was curious to see if I had made a wise move. And seeing the condition on that one, I feel much better paying what I did for my toasty project. ^_^

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from frb:

Admittedly I am old and senile, and I do not understand this comment. Would you care to elaborate? Thanks.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Admittedly I am old and senile, and I do not understand this comment. Would you care to elaborate? Thanks.

The OP has an incredibly long and Boring thread dedicated to the misdeeds performed upon him at the behest of Steve Young. The pinball one not the football one.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The OP has an incredibly long and Boring thread dedicated to the misdeeds performed upon him at the behest of Steve Young. The pinball one not the football one.

cut him a break ( the OP) he is only 18.
at least that is what he keeps letting everyone know

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I see. I did not realize it was the same guy who was trashing Steve.

#25 7 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from frb:

I get it, but it really doesn't make sense anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 105.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/damn-ebay-auctions-who-sniped-my-snipe-on-that-pop-a-card and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.