DSC02019 (resized).JPG
20161221_161023 (resized).jpg
20161221_163223 (resized).jpg
IMG20161224163131 (resized).jpg
IMG20161224100048 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpeg
IMG_20161217_135805418 (resized).jpg
IMG_6810 (resized).jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

My year-old mint Iron Man (IMVE) now isn't so minty thanks to a bad design choice from Stern. It's minor, but REALLY annoying.

I thought Stern was ever so thoughtful in designing rubber stoppers on the head so when you lower it the head won't damage the rails. But ... as I learn after moving my IMVE to the office for a company party that their design choice was poorly executed. The rubber stoppers don't align the the rails. What were they thinking!?

So be warned about trusting those rubber stoppers...

IMG_6810 (resized).jpgIMG_6810 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Um that is some misalignment there,crap

Mike

#4 7 years ago

Dang - did you drop the head or use a super tight strap? I've never seen damage that bad.

#5 7 years ago

Hopefully you'll help prevent a few others from enduring the same fate.
-mof

#6 7 years ago

Sorry to hear that happened!

#7 7 years ago

This is more of an issue with the head hinges being thin metal and they are super flexible so when you put the head down it can easily be off to one side and needs re-centered. I've never had one move once I made sure it was center on the pads and tightened down with a strap.

I have a zillion sets of new take off side rails if you want some. Can't help with the head damage tho..

#9 7 years ago

Mine definitely don't align on my GB Prem.

#11 7 years ago

Never move a game without foam, cardboard, or a moving blanket in between the head and the side rails. I'm sorry your game got damaged, but we can't blame stern for every bad choice we make.

#12 7 years ago

Im always worried about this and use moving blankets between the head and rails. Sorry to hear about this but thanks for sharing and making other pinsiders aware of this as a potential issue.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Never move a game without foam, cardboard, or a moving blanket in between the head and the side rails. I'm sorry your game got damaged, but we can't blame stern for every bad choice we make.

Pool noodles rule.

IMG_20161217_135805418 (resized).jpgIMG_20161217_135805418 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Whenever I lift my play field all the way up, I put a towel on top of the head.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Whenever I lift my play field all the way up, I put a towel on top of the head.

This is how I pictured you when reading this.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#16 7 years ago

Id assume if one lowers the head and makes sure the pads are lined-up the weight of the head will keep the pads in place. As a precaution most people like myself use cardboard, beach towel, moving blanket etc.

Did you make sure pad was aligned when you lowered head?

#18 7 years ago

Well now you know where to move the rubber foot to!

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

This is how I pictured you when reading this.

That is really funny!!!

#20 7 years ago

happened on my GOT LE. I wasn't happy either. Sucks that they would make that piece of rubber so small.

#21 7 years ago

I have pinball armor to move mygames. It is expensive and may be over kill for some but it has saved me more than once when moving a game.

#22 7 years ago

Sorry to hear that Brian.

#23 7 years ago

Everybody should stock up on cardboard corners. Use them on every edge when shipping or moving pins. Very useful for sending fragile stuff like toppers as well. Very cheap.

IMG20161224100048 (resized).jpgIMG20161224100048 (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Everybody should stock up on cardboard corners. Use them on every edge when shipping or moving pins. Very useful for sending fragile stuff like toppers as well. Very cheap.

I purchased a case of those on Amazon just for my pins.

#25 7 years ago

Those rubber stoppers are for when you lift the playfield. Not for lowering the head onto the rails.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I have pinball armor to move mygames. It is expensive and may be over kill for some but it has saved me more than once when moving a game.

I should be moving in 2017. I bought the pinball armor a few years ago. When I finally make the move, I will be doing 1 pin at a time. I don't care if it takes me all day. I want to keep the machines perfect.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Those rubber stoppers are for when you lift the playfield. Not for lowering the head onto the rails.

Oops

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Um, false? Not sure if that was supposed to be a joke or not.

#29 7 years ago

New Title Needed:

"Dammit Me, Why Why Why."

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Quoted from Chrizg:

Um, false? Not sure if that was supposed to be a joke or not.

Sounds legit to me.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds legit to me.

They do line up with the rails, but aren't designed for transport/serious moving. For laying the head down and a light duty reposition or something like that. I will trust them if I'm just laying the head down to lower the centre of gravity if I'm using the dolly for a shuffle within the room, but not for moving up/down stairs or the like.

#32 7 years ago

Rookie mistake. When that previously mint IMve was in a box it had foam packs wedged between the head and the rails. Just use some touch up paint and move on.

#33 7 years ago

I always put a flattened cardboard box between the backbox & cab then shrink wrap it down securely. Easy, cheap, and effective. Better safe than sorry.

#34 7 years ago

I use cardboard too.

Pretty amazing somebody wouldn't notice those rubber bumpers weren't lined up when laying the head down.

I guess we all use different levels of carefulness when moving our machines.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This is not actually true, Rare. They do lie outside the width of the apron.

IMG20161224163131 (resized).jpgIMG20161224163131 (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This is not actually true, Rare. They do lie outside the width of the apron.

Hmm. Well, they're fucking useless then lol

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Pool noodles rule.

I "always" use pool noodles. But having seen these rubber stoppers I though "Damn, Stern, nice going, you were really thinking here. No more worries". But then .... omfg.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Rookie mistake. When that previously mint IMve was in a box it had foam packs wedged between the head and the rails. Just use some touch up paint and move on.

What he said. Not Stern's fault. Those pads are not for transportation. The head can and will shift when you turn you car at speed, or hit a bump in the road. Touch it up with a paint brush, or even a Sharpie, and it will almost disappear. No biggie.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What he said. Not Stern's fault. Those pads are not for transportation. The head can and will shift when you turn you car at speed, or hit a bump in the road. Touch it up with a paint brush, or even a Sharpie, and it will almost disappear. No biggie.</

What he said. Not Stern's fault. Those pads are not for transportation. The head can and will shift when you turn you car at speed, or hit a bump in the road. Touch it up with a paint brush, or even a Sharpie, and it will almost disappear. No biggie.

Enlighten us ... what are those pads for then?

#40 7 years ago

I use those rubber foam square floor fatigue mats that you piece together to stick under exercise equipment. They work wonders

#41 7 years ago

Those bumpers line right up with the rails with the head down. The problem is the movement in the head, the back box hinges don't keep the head from moving side to side.

Quoted from Rarehero:Those rubber stoppers are for when you lift the playfield. Not for lowering the head onto the rails.

#42 7 years ago

That sucks. I use cardboard too. The seller of the last game that I bought wanted to make sure that no damage occured while transporting it in my pickup on a 5 hour ride. It sure did make offloading it myself a breeze.

20161221_163223 (resized).jpg20161221_163223 (resized).jpg

20161221_161023 (resized).jpg20161221_161023 (resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago

Is it still unclear to you? Okay. Obviously, you can set the head down on them with no damage. But it's not a free pass to start transporting your pins around town with nothing else in between.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Is it still unclear to you? Okay. Obviously, you can set the head down on them with no damage. But it's not a free pass to start transporting your pins around town with nothing else in between.

I think you're missing the point. They rubber stoppers don't line up to the rails *at all*. Not talking about a little shifting here ... they do not line up, period.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I think you're missing the point. They rubber stoppers don't line up to the rails *at all*. Not talking about a little shifting here ... they do not line up, period.

Yet you transported it that way anyway.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Awe lets lose sleep over it..... nothing to see here ...
The original poster should have shoved a towel under the head box.. Dont blame Stern you should think about how you move your game

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

+1 on this suggestion. The equipment we get in at my business always comes with these, and I have amassed a large tally of these for pin movement.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yet you transported it that way anyway.

Yes, clearly I trusted that the intent of the stoppers was to protect the head.

#50 7 years ago

Cardboard between head and glass- first thing I learn on pinball ownership!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dammit-stern-why-why-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.