PXL_20210205_090704811 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210205_090707682 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210205_090734802 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201023_105205479 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201023_105127026 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201023_105045558 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201023_105109496 (resized).jpg

#1 8 months ago

My Dialed In LE has developed a groove in the clearcoat down to the plywood without me realizing it, and now that I've seen it, I'm trying to figure out what I can do without replacing the whole playfield. I'm unsure of the cause, although it's obviously related to the VUK/phone scoop (maybe the angle/speed, or maybe the ball was damaged). There's a long oval where the clearcoat has been grooved around the bare plywood which isn't clear in the photos.

I will definitely add a strip of mylar to cover the whole length of the ball path from the phone, but I can't do that without filling in the groove somehow. I was thinking I could use something like model paint to gently fill in the missing blue spot, and then try to find some clear varnish to level the groove (then buff it down), but I can't risk making things worse. I'm totally new to playfield repair, so any beginner's advice would be appreciated. I've got nothing on hand to start this process, so I'll need to buy everything -- any online stores/links would be very helpful since I'm located in Hong Kong and will almost certainly have to order from abroad and ship things here first (although I could get model paint locally).

And as an aside, have any other owners had this problem with the phone scoop?

PXL_20201023_105045558 (resized).jpgPXL_20201023_105109496 (resized).jpgPXL_20201023_105127026 (resized).jpgPXL_20201023_105205479 (resized).jpg
#2 8 months ago

I've never seen this happen on DI..
How many games have you played ?

You can maybe turn the coil power down for that kickout ?

I've touched up some paint wear and protected it with clearcoat from Tamiya : https://www.flippers.be/playfield_touchup.html
You will need to put some mylar over afterwards to prevent wear in such a specific spot.

#3 8 months ago

I've got 2150 games played (6696 balls), and I've changed the whole set of balls once. I attached a few more photos showing some of the marks on the playfield below the groove, and another suspicious area above the flippers.

PXL_20210205_090704811 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_090707682 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_090734802 (resized).jpg
#4 8 months ago

Wow, that looks like typical kick out wear like you would see at the Mine on routed WH20 or in front of scoop on FH etc.
Im shocked it only took 2k+ games to get to that point.....
Something doesnt seem right, shouldnt be able to wear through that quickly...
Did you contact JJP?

#5 8 months ago

Did you buy this NIB? or second hand? This is typical for a VUK kickout after lots of plays. Is your game in a humid area where you balls are developing a layer of rust. Maybe cutting into the clear faster??

#6 8 months ago

after looking at the pictures your playfield looks filthy and worn. This looks like a neglected routed game.

#7 8 months ago

I have well over 3k games on mine with nothing like that. Sld b mylar there also?. My guess is the scoop is bent and was turned up to max ior close to it to compensate for the bent hood.

#8 8 months ago

Nevermind on the mylar as it dont run that far down however I will b adding some.

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

after looking at the pictures your playfield looks filthy and worn. This looks like a neglected routed game.

No, not at all. I bought NIB direct from JJP's assigned agent, Bandai Namco (delivered to me in late 2019), and have regularly cleaned the playfield up until I discovered the wear. It was in my office for about a year with about 5 people playing regularly at lunchtime. I haven't cleaned the playfield since I discovered the damage (pending advice from this forum), and I guess it was maybe 2 months since the last time I had cleaned it. There's relatively low humidity in my office (central aircon), and all my other games are holding up very well by comparison. I have Pirates of the Caribbean (LE) ordered at the same time which still looks great (aside from the unfortunate bubbling defects around posts).

I haven't contacted JJP about it, but I don't have very high hopes for any support since I'm in Hong Kong and the delivery here was a special arrangement. I expect I'm on my own taking care of this unfortunately.

#10 8 months ago
Quoted from tetsuos:

No, not at all. I bought NIB direct from JJP's assigned agent, Bandai Namco (delivered to me in late 2019), and have regularly cleaned the playfield up until I discovered the wear. It was in my office for about a year with about 5 people playing regularly at lunchtime. I haven't cleaned the playfield since I discovered the damage (pending advice from this forum), and I guess it was maybe 2 months since the last time I had cleaned it. There's relatively low humidity in my office (central aircon), and all my other games are holding up very well by comparison. I have Pirates of the Caribbean (LE) ordered at the same time which still looks great (aside from the unfortunate bubbling defects around posts).
I haven't contacted JJP about it, but I don't have very high hopes for any support since I'm in Hong Kong and the delivery here was a special arrangement. I expect I'm on my own taking care of this unfortunately.

maybe it is just the pics. Crazy to have that much wear already.

#11 8 months ago

I checked mine out really good after your pics. I have 3k plays or so and clean it pretty regularly but has been few months since last cleaning. I can see some light weird marks in the clearcoat at kick out path and above the flippers much like op that had me kinda worried. I took glass off and inspected and no wear at scoop exit like your pictures but I'd bet some wld start if I wldnt of took action. I used novus 1 first and some 90+ rubbing alcohol. Then I waxed it s few times waiting 10 min or so between coats. It looked so much better with most of the marks in the clearcoat gone now . It was fairly dirty considering I am really particular keeping my games super clean. I then checked the balls and they weren't horrible but had some bad marks/rough spots on a few spots on some balls. I remember early on people mentioned di was hard on balls bc of a few sharp edges and things especially on eariler made games which mine is. I changed them out and will do so every 250-500 games or as needed. I also added mylar to the top half of the phone kick out path for peace of mind and bent the scoop hood back down and lowered the kick out power to stock as it had been raised over the years to compensate for bent scoop hood. Game plays so dam fast now and needs played a bit to slow down as it's just crazy and out of control lol. I recommend di owners follow what I have did and keep eye on things especially the balls as they really get scratched up.

#12 8 months ago

I'm still trying to figure how that phone scoop should kick the ball, and It's clear that if I leave mine the way it is right now it will end up with the same damage as yours.

If I set that scoop to send the ball the way I think it was intended, it comes out smootly from the scoop but goes straight down the middle.

I lowered the scoop power, when the balls come out it hits the rail above it, and falls on the playfield. The good side is I dont have that ball going SDTM, but I can see how it consistently hits the playfield at the same spot.

1 week later
#13 8 months ago
Quoted from adol75:

I'm still trying to figure how that phone scoop should kick the ball, and It's clear that if I leave mine the way it is right now it will end up with the same damage as yours.
If I set that scoop to send the ball the way I think it was intended, it comes out smootly from the scoop but goes straight down the middle.
I lowered the scoop power, when the balls come out it hits the rail above it, and falls on the playfield. The good side is I dont have that ball going SDTM, but I can see how it consistently hits the playfield at the same spot.

I'm also wondering how to prevent this damage from recurring after I repair it. I have the phone power at the default level (mid-range), and I can't see how the power setting would cause the damage (if the power is too low, the ball will not eject from the phone properly, and if it's too high it will go down the drain or bounce off the slings like crazy). If the angle of scoop itself needs to be adjusted, would it be better to have a smaller or larger radius for the arc?

#14 8 months ago
Quoted from tetsuos:

I'm also wondering how to prevent this damage from recurring after I repair it. I have the phone power at the default level (mid-range), and I can't see how the power setting would cause the damage (if the power is too low, the ball will not eject from the phone properly, and if it's too high it will go down the drain or bounce off the slings like crazy). If the angle of scoop itself needs to be adjusted, would it be better to have a smaller or larger radius for the arc?

I'm in between 2 power settings, one sends the ball straight down the middle lane, the one below ejects the ball straight but the ball bounces on the playfield always on the same spot, that's where I can foresee some damage after thousands of balls.

I think the angle of the scoop is what needs to be adjusted but I don't know how to do that.

#15 8 months ago

I'm sorry you are seeing this... but man, it looks like your game has had a hard life for just over 2000 games! Those rubbers at the top and then the playfield below it...

DI-Hard (resized).jpg

#16 8 months ago

It’s not being cleaned regularly regardless what the OP claims

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from altan:

I'm sorry you are seeing this... but man, it looks like your game has had a hard life for just over 2000 games! Those rubbers at the top and then the playfield below it...
[quoted image]

that is what I said. This game looks like it has been in a arcade on free play with zero maintenance done and 10,000+ plays.

#18 8 months ago

I (and most other owners) had a wear spot on the LAH 'Ticket' due to a VUK. A gent up in Canada started to make a high quality overlay ticket to be applied over the original artwork. Worked perfect and you couldn't even tell it was installed. Problem solved.

Perhaps someone could do the same for DI?

Like Woody and others mentioned, from looking at the rubbers, it does need a serious cleaning.

pasted_image (resized).png

#19 7 months ago

What do DI owners recommend for cleaning a Playfield? I currently have Novus 1 and Novus 2.

Do I need a certain type of wax?

Does the bob trap door flap being broken damage anything if you continue to play it with it broke?

#20 7 months ago

Glad this thread was posted. I looked at my playfield and can see a sort of flat spot forming at the scoop exit. I threw a coat of wax and a piece of mylar there and should be good for another 10k plus. Thanks.

#21 7 months ago
Quoted from bcrice2446:

What do DI owners recommend for cleaning a Playfield? I currently have Novus 1 and Novus 2.

2 if it's dirty, 1n if it isn't or after that.
Lots of diff'rent thoughts on wax...personally I say P21S
You want pure Carnuba

#22 7 months ago

I just wanted to say thank you for the heads up; FWIW I watched the kickout on my DI and it seems to hit the "phone" translucent insert in front of the scoop. NO damage, but I will put some removable cling vinyl there soonish...

#23 7 months ago
Quoted from bcrice2446:

Does the bob trap door flap being broken damage anything if you continue to play it with it broke?

I use Mist n shine. It's easy to apply, invisible and it has an oddly weird but good smell.

3 weeks later
#24 7 months ago
Quoted from adol75:

I use Mist n shine. It's easy to apply, invisible and it has an oddly weird but good smell.

Instead of Novus 1?

1 week later
#25 6 months ago
Quoted from tetsuos:

Instead of Novus 1?

Yes, I only use novus 1 for the plastics and Mist n shine for the playfield

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside