Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jared
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    pinball_wednesday.jpg
    pinball_wednesday.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

WIN $100 IF YOU SET THE HIGHEST SCORE ON METALLICA! 8PM-11PM ONLY!*

*10 or more players minimum to secure payout from bar owner.

Free Entry, Free Play. Thats right, there is no cost to get in, and no cost to play the games. If you set the highest score between the hours of 8pm and 11pm, you get $100*. Its that easy.

6 Tables on Free Play with more being added weekly.

-Metallica Monsters Premium
    -Addams Family
    -Twilight Zone
    -Champion Pub
    -Corvette
    -Johnny Mnemonic

Drink specials for everyone to enjoy, including non alcoholic choices. Sharkeys next door has food until midnight that you can order and bring into Main Stage.

Let's build up pinball in DFW. There is no better way to get new people interested than offering no obligation play FOR FREE. It really does not get better than this!

EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT! Next Event 9/25/13

See you at Main Stage Bar!

17449 Preston Rd, Dallas, Texas 75252

Ages 18+ Only.

pinball_wednesday.jpgpinball_wednesday.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Dammit! I spent my pinball night out last night. Momma ain't gonna let me do two in a row.
    You gotta give me more warning bro.

#3 10 years ago

Sorry man!! Going to be a weekly thing!!!

ALSO - 6th pin added!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Gonna get up on my soapbox right here for a minute... so for those of you impatient and don't want to read all this, the summary is that unless more people start showing up, there is no prize. I'm just venting a little, and if you're looking for a place to play cheap pinball and drink with some friends, it's a great place to do that....just don't count on a prize payout.

Last week the owner set that ridiculous 227 mil score on a game set at ~4 degrees slope, admittedly with a VERY tight tilt... but this week, the game is set up like it should be slope-wise, the tilt is still fairly tight but manageable, and you get 3 warnings before the tilt, but still had a lot of warnings and a few tilts. I do tend to shake the crap out of a game though, but I'm tempering my bias with the fact I watched two other people tilt the thing.

What's not being mentioned on their facebook page, or here, is that the owner is not actually paying out the 100 bucks. Bakushan told me last night (as I was leaving like an hour and a half after I got there...) that basically if they don't pull in at least 10 customers, then the owner ain't going to pay, and the deal THIS WEEK was apparently you had to beat his 227 million score on a much faster playing table. I think he was probably blindsided by the owner on that, because more people didn't show up and that decision was made on the fly. I got 179 million, and nothing to show for it. Whatever. I get that the guy is running a business and the point is to bring in BUSINESS, but don't say you're doing one thing then do something completely different or not at all. Charge an entry fee for playing in the tournament, or a door fee, but don't pull me in by telling me there's a 100 buck prize for "high score" and then tell me an hour and a half later that it's "Beating your high score you set on the machine you play every day while it was set at half the slope it was supposed to be." I have a pet peeve with people that don't follow through on their word, but it's FREE PINBALL so it's really hard to be upset. I'm more pissed off that I "wasted" time that I could've spent with my wife trying to win a prize that didn't actually exist for all intents and purposes.

Caveat emptor, if you're coming to just compete for a prize, don't count on it being paid out unless you check Bakushan/Main Stage's event page and see 15+ people say that they're coming. If you want to go out to play pinball and drink with other local players/collectors, then by all means, please go and have fun. Location is easy to get to, pins are very playable for the most part, and the owner is willing to listen to feedback on how they're set up (At least he did with Metallica..) and he's a very skilled player to boot. They just added Johnny Mnemonic which even a few degrees off to the side was a very fast player and the glove and everything seemed to work.

I'd love to be able to support this more, but it's a bar, basically. I can't bring my family in because of liquor laws and the owner doesn't want to deal with kids in the venue anyways. That's his choice, and I respect that. It's going to be an awesome location for single adults to go and it's getting better. I just can't keep finding excuses to be there on a wednesday night when I have to leave my wife and kids at home, or spend a wad of cash trusting some moron teenager to watch my house and kids and pins, all my most valuable possessions....and then go to the bar and spend 20-30 bucks on beer and food (Come on, I feel bad not supporting the guy's biz in any way, when the games and entry are free!) it's just not going to happen for me. I suspect my wife and I will go out on a weekend when we can get the kids out of our hair, but this wednesday thing is for the birds.....until we can get more players in there anyways. It's gonna be interesting to see an IFPA tournament get run in this place..

Fool me once, shame on me... fool me twice... I'll be back when I don't have other obligations to attend to, and I don't have to worry about 'winning' some prize that's not going to get paid out anyways. Would love to spend some time learning Champion Pub and Addams Family. I'll be back after he takes everything off free play, because I don't really drink.....I'm not there to take advantage of his games. I enjoy competition more than just playing for fun, I'm probably in the minority on that locally, but it is what it is. Hope that more people will start showing up.

Bakushan, you should see if Craig (Yeah, I know he posts here and will probably see this and think my post is too negative lol...) will post an announcement to the mailing list for next week. Maybe dig some of those people out and get them out there.. I don't think most of them are even on any of the (three?) facebook pages, and if you can get enough to actually guarantee the prize might get some good competition. High Speed should be a good addition too.

I'll be at home. Let me know when he takes the games off free play so I can feel like I'm actually contributing something other than just being a pin-leech. And FFS, if he's not going to honor the "ad" then tell him to get rid of that whole gimmick and just make it a social meet and use the free entry/play and cheap drink prices as a lure....or lower the prize amount to something he can reasonably pay out without losing his shirt.

End soapbox.

#7 10 years ago

You are totally right man.

He told me $100 for highest score... But then set his own highest score while we watched. I was like... Ok... I mean I felt bad for the guy since the $100 offer was to bring in business and he made like $20 off us last week. Plus he did technically set the highest score so...

But this week we ended up having like 7 people come. Still small I know, but I thought he would be happier with the turnout. Once I was already there he revealed to me that he needed to have 10+ show to have a payout...

Sigh.

I totally relate to him making $40 off our group total and not wanting to pay out $100... I just wished he would have told me up front so I could add a * that says "minimum 10 participants" for payout. Makes me look bad.

You had a hell of a game last night man and I think you deserve a reward.

PM me your PayPal address and I will make this right. The owner has had a few hiccups and I don't want him to shoot himself in the foot before we can get this off the ground.

#8 10 years ago

I don't think his foot is shot off quite yet. Just change the "flyer" to state that he needs a min. number of participants now that it's a known deal. I don't take your money because he jacked it around. Now that everyone knows, or will know, what the deal is, expectations can be somewhat realistic for the people that CAN make it out every week, and nobody has to get all butthurt if 10 people don't show up. Like I said, it's still free pinball for those that show up, on games that aren't all that easy to find out in the wild. I just don't want to come out and spend the time away from my family on my days off when I can't know up front if there's a prize or not. Some things are more valuable to me than the chance to play these games....the prize money is the kicker for me.. that's half my wife's new iPhone.

#9 10 years ago

I don't think his foot is shot off quite yet. Just change the "flyer" to state that he needs a min. number of participants now that it's a known deal. I don't take your money because he jacked it around. Now that everyone knows, or will know, what the deal is, expectations can be somewhat realistic for the people that CAN make it out every week, and nobody has to get all butthurt if 10 people don't show up. Like I said, it's still free pinball for those that show up, on games that aren't all that easy to find out in the wild. I just don't want to come out and spend the time away from my family on my days off when I can't know up front if there's a prize or not. Some things are more valuable to me than the chance to play these games....the prize money is the kicker for me.. that's half my wife's new iPhone.

Edited the flyer and the OP description.

pinball_wednesday.jpgpinball_wednesday.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Last night

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 10 years ago

small enough disclaimer?

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

small enough disclaimer?

At least its readable. The "small print" seems standard size for that type of disclaimer to me.

I hope 10 people show up in the future to make the prize "live"!

Marcus

#13 10 years ago

small enough disclaimer?

The text that accompanys the flyer anywhere it has been posted has the disclaimer 3 times. The asterisk next to the $100* is very large.

There is no monkey business going on here.

Free machines. Free entry. Free chance to win $100.

I have no doubts we will have 10+ at next Wednesdays event.

#14 10 years ago

Yeah, I didn't see an issue with the size of it either. Huge asterisk is huge and visible. Everyone know what it means on something like that, that there is a TinyText(tm) disclaimer at the bottom.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I didn't see an issue with the size of it either. Huge asterisk is huge and visible. Everyone know what it means on something like that, that there is a TinyText(tm) disclaimer at the bottom.

Good.

I hope that the word spreads and we get a big crowd here in a few days/

#16 10 years ago

You guys are really making this sound like not much fun. I was hoping to get a buddy to show up next Wednesday to hang out and play some pinball. I'm not that good and he isn't a pinhead so we'd be there just for beer drinking pinball fun. Dunno, but this sounds super-competitive which just isn't fun for me and would certainly be uncomfortable for my friends. Guess I shouldn't be surprised with a $100 prize on the line.

I'll still show up and support this guy because I like what he's doing, but Wednesday doesn't sound like the right atmosphere for casual players or non-pinheads.

As you guys know, there are tons of really good players in the area and I'm sure you'll get your 10 person quota once word is out.

#17 10 years ago

PinCrush...don't worry about it. We all have our good and bad games. It's all about having fun.
    I'm sure "Tallica" will be consumed mostly by the players that are trying to take the $100 prize, but there are other pins there just to play for fun.

I have some of the best fun, just competing with other people.

As my saying goes "it only takes one ball"

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

You guys are really making this sound like not much fun. I was hoping to get a buddy to show up next Wednesday to hang out and play some pinball. I'm not that good and he isn't a pinhead so we'd be there just for beer drinking pinball fun. Dunno, but this sounds super-competitive which just isn't fun for me and would certainly be uncomfortable for my friends. Guess I shouldn't be surprised with a $100 prize on the line.
    I'll still show up and support this guy because I like what he's doing, but Wednesday doesn't sound like the right atmosphere for casual players or non-pinheads.
    As you guys know, there are tons of really good players in the area and I'm sure you'll get your 10 person quota once word is out.

Oh man!!!

Sorry if the wording is giving you a bad vibe man..

This event is a lot of fun!!! Several is us there have no hope or chance of winning anything and just come because it's free, fun, and good to meet people. There are plenty of non competition tables to play too, with more being added weekly.

I really hope you and your casual friend come. I'll be bringing some pin noobs too. This is an event that is actually tailor made to be able to introduce new people to the hobby.

Hope to see you Wednesday!!

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Oh man!!!
    Sorry if the wording is giving you a bad vibe man..
    This event is a lot of fun!!! Several is us there have no hope or chance of winning anything and just come because it's free, fun, and good to meet people. There are plenty of non competition tables to play too, with more being added weekly.
    I really hope you and your casual friend come. I'll be bringing some pin noobs too. This is an event that is actually tailor made to be able to introduce new people to the hobby.
    Hope to see you Wednesday!!

Thanks for the feedback (thanks to Craig too). I guess I misinterpreted the tone. Will try to make it Wednesday and see how it goes! Good to hear its not just a hard-core crowd.

#21 10 years ago

Working in Houston this week... Might just suck it up and make the drive to meet a few of you and play a bit

Good to see the rough bits are getting smoothed over, and really wish we had an owner in Salt Lake City that was willing to open his establishment up for free play! (Of course, we have a dozen or so solid collectors who are all willing to host get togethers)

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Don1:

Working in Houston this week... Might just suck it up and make the drive to meet a few of you and play a bit
    Good to see the rough bits are getting smoothed over, and really wish we had an owner in Salt Lake City that was willing to open his establishment up for free play! (Of course, we have a dozen or so solid collectors who are all willing to host get togethers)

FANTASTIC NEWS MAN! You really should!!! Here are some more details.

This week we are adding PINBOT*, so that makes 7 tables, and the owner is likely bringing HIGH SPEED, which makes 8 tables.

We are having the $100 high score challenge, a separate $5 buy in tournament, and also free play for all casual players. $2 domestic drafts too. Should be a nice event.

#23 10 years ago

I want to be be very clear here, especially for anyone who is on the fence or skeptical.

If 10 or more total pinball players attend the event (we are looking to have 25+) then we WILL have a $100 payout for the top score of the night on Metallica. 100% chance. No way around it.

Yeah, it sucks that at the past event we were told after people had already showed up (7 total) that we needed to have 10+ to get paid... but it is what is is. I assure you this is 100% the owners decision and not mine at all.

My role in this is to promote pinball and interest in pinball: period. I believe this event has very good odds at increasing excitement and interest in our hobby in the area. Thats why I signed on to help promote it at no gain to myself.

Now that we are clear...

LETS PLAY SOME PINBALL!

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I want to be be very clear here, especially for anyone who is on the fence or skeptical.
    If 10 or more total pinball players attend the event (we are looking to have 25+) then we WILL have a $100 payout for the top score of the night on Metallica. 100% chance. No way around it.
    Yeah, it sucks that at the past event we were told after people had already showed up (7 total) that we needed to have 10+ to get paid... but it is what is is. I assure you this is 100% the owners decision and not mine at all.
    My role in this is to promote pinball and interest in pinball: period. I believe this event has very good odds at increasing excitement and interest in our hobby in the area. Thats why I signed on to help promote it at no gain to myself.
    Now that we are clear...
    LETS PLAY SOME PINBALL!

Just to clarify: Is it top score of that particular night or is it beat the grand champion score currently on the machine?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Just to clarify: Is it top score of that particular night or is it beat the grand champion score currently on the machine?

The top score between the hours of 8pm and Midnight, today.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

The top score between the hours of 8pm and Midnight, today.

So not the grand champion score just the highest score between those hours does that mean whoever has the highest score during those times has to stay to midnight to claim the prize?

#27 10 years ago

So not the grand champion score just the highest score between those hours does that mean whoever has the highest score during those times has to stay to midnight to claim the prize?

The score contest will end at 11pm. If the winner is present they will paid then, if not it will be mailed to them or pickup can be arranged.

The event will continue past 11pm, but the "High Score on Metallica for $100" will conclude at 11pm.

And yes, starting at 8pm the high score is 0, despite what the machine says.

-Jared

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

The score contest will end at 11pm. If the winner is present they will paid then, if not it will be mailed to them or pickup can be arranged.

The event will continue past 11pm, but the "High Score on Metallica for $100" will conclude at 11pm.

And yes, starting at 8pm the high score is 0, despite what the machine says.

-Jared

Thank you.

#29 10 years ago

So are you coming out tonight to play then?

#31 10 years ago

Here!! 10+ players!! War is on for $100!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 10 years ago

I don't see Frax?

Frax, with the kind of scores you put up that's any easy $100 for you to pickup.

#33 10 years ago

Our $100 winner, Eric!!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Good score. How many games did he play to get that score?

#35 10 years ago

Grats to Eric, even thought I already said that on Facebook. Would've been fun but I stayed home because I went out the prior night with some other local guys.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Grats to Eric, even thought I already said that on Facebook.

You probably did. I didn't type a Facebook address in to get to this page though.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Is the game still OK? Was the tilt set up properly or do we need to help the owner buy some new leg plates.?

Congrats Eric....

#38 10 years ago

^^---LOL I basically asked the same thing on facebook.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Is the game still OK? Was the tilt set up properly or do we need to help the owner buy some new leg plates.?
    Congrats Eric....

I think it's hanging in there.

#40 10 years ago

There will NOT be a Pinball Wednesday tonight at Main Stage. They will be closed.

We are working out a schedule with them, but it will likely be 2 times a month instead of weekly.

Tonight I am hosting a pinball party at my house in Rockwall. Anyone in DFW may come tonight and join in to play. Message me for address and info.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dallas-pinball-wedneday-main-stage-bar-win-100-free-entryplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.