View topic image gallery

IMG_5770 (resized).jpg
IMG_5769 (resized).jpg
Old Chicago Back Box Relays (resized).jpg
DD28517F-3F84-4B10-B109-E1F570A4C4DC (resized).jpeg
Tommy Gun Topper 2 (resized).jpg
Tommy Gun Topper 1 (resized).jpg
BB403860-487D-4EB0-94FD-1884DCEF9313 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider peruman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago

I agree with Pinhead, I would add another lower current coil that triggers off a new switch added to the pop bumper relay switches. This would also let you add a separate fuse to the topper if you desire.

With the extra switch on the pop bumper relay switch stack you then don’t have to use a DC coil with a diode, you can run the Tommy Gun coil off one of the AC power rails.

One more suggestion, if this is for a topper, and you want to run it off a pop bumper, you would then need to run wires (and a connector) from the playfield up to the head. What if instead you triggered off one of the point scoring relays which are already in the head, making the topper installation perhaps less involved?

Love the idea, BTW

Alberto

#15 1 year ago

I think this is the suggestion, add an extra switch to the 10-pt Relay, add a fuse in series (the fuse is probably optional), and connect your Tommy Gun coil, fuse, and switch to the +50V rail and it’s return path to the transformer.

Every time 10-pts is scores, you get the Tommy Gun.

Adding a connector is a great idea.

Regards

Alberto

BB403860-487D-4EB0-94FD-1884DCEF9313 (resized).jpegBB403860-487D-4EB0-94FD-1884DCEF9313 (resized).jpeg

#18 1 year ago

I don’t have an Old Chicago to reference but hopefully the 10-pt relay has an open slot in its armature so adding the extra switch requires minimum changes to the hardware.

#21 1 year ago

Mopar
I see what you are saying. You are suggesting to parallel the two coils like below (green arrow). That would also work. One concern would be the current going through the coils would now be half for each, would that be enough to create a magnetic field strong enough to move the metal plunger?

Please ignore the fact that I’m connected in parallel to the 10-pt chime coil, it should be the 10-pt relay coil.

Alberto

DD28517F-3F84-4B10-B109-E1F570A4C4DC (resized).jpegDD28517F-3F84-4B10-B109-E1F570A4C4DC (resized).jpeg
#24 1 year ago

Mopar and at @markg, I think you are both correct. I think I was diving too deep into this one. The Tommy Gun coil connected in parallel to the 10-pt relay coil in the head should do the trick and keep the mods to a minimum.

Alberto

#31 1 year ago

To use the coil 50V to power up a 6V LED, you would need to burn a lot of power with that resistor. You’d have to burn 44V, you would need a big power resistor (high Wattage rating) and it would still get pretty hot.

I think a second power rail going to the gun for the LED would be better.

Regards

Alberto

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider peruman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/daisy-chain-coils-safe?tu=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.