View topic image gallery

IMG_5770 (resized).jpg
IMG_5769 (resized).jpg
Old Chicago Back Box Relays (resized).jpg
DD28517F-3F84-4B10-B109-E1F570A4C4DC (resized).jpeg
Tommy Gun Topper 2 (resized).jpg
Tommy Gun Topper 1 (resized).jpg
BB403860-487D-4EB0-94FD-1884DCEF9313 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider green5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Building a custom topper for a Bally Old Chicago.
I want to include a coil in the topper that will fire based on a pop bumper being hit.

Can I tap into a pop bumper coil and run the wires up to the topper?
I planned on using the same rated coil.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from metalguy:

Your going to make a tommygun fire in the topper arent you?

You guessed that pretty quick.

Printing a full size Tommy Gun with flash in the muzzle & wanted to make the gun action slide each time a pop bumper is hit in the game.

I'm open to any size coil as it just needs to make the action slide.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

What is this coil going to do in the topper? Is it going to be a complete pop bumper assembly or a knocker or a bell?

Are you talking about using something like a #CC-31-2000 (chime coil)? instead of Old Chicago's AP 27-1300 that is the pop bumper coil.

Open to any coil for this project.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Better description is paralleling the coils rather than daisy-chain... I'd be tempted to add a separate contact/switch that drives this, either added to the relay or some sort of contact that closes off of the fiber board of of the pop.

That is a good idea. (Right, parallel not in series, good correction) The only missing part in my mind is that in parallel the same power source is still being utilized. If what MarkG is saying is true and a single pop bumper line is rated for 5 AMP & the single pop bumper pulls 4amps. I could try to located a .5amp coil and be within safe operating conditions?

#12 1 year ago

Great ideas.

I like adding an extra switch to the 10 point relay in the back box instead of the pop bumper under the playfield. Much more room in the head than under the pop bumper.

So if I have this correctly:

1) Tap into the main line coming out of the transformer going into the game.
2) Run it to a switch added to the 10 point relay stack.
3) Run from the switch into a 5 amp 250V fuse.
4) Up to the coil in the Tommy Gun.
5) Ground lug on the coil direct to ground in the game.
6) Using a molex connector on the gun so it can be disconnected.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Peruman:

I think this is the suggestion, add an extra switch to the 10-pt Relay, add a fuse in series (the fuse is probably optional), and connect your Tommy Gun coil, fuse, and switch to the +50V rail and it’s return path to the transformer.
Every time 10-pts is scores, you get the Tommy Gun.
Adding a connector is a great idea.
Regards
Alberto
[quoted image]

I like this a lot.
I'll add a toggle switch so the gun can be shut off without disconnecting it too.

But this is what I'm going to try. Simple, clean, will get the job done.

I'l use the same coil as in the 10 pt. chime just to keep the game parts easy to keep a back stock of.

#17 1 year ago

Test print at 25% scale came out pretty clean.

Making adjustments for wiring and building slide mechanism next.

Tommy Gun Topper 1 (resized).jpgTommy Gun Topper 1 (resized).jpgTommy Gun Topper 2 (resized).jpgTommy Gun Topper 2 (resized).jpg
#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Peruman:

I don’t have an Old Chicago to reference but hopefully the 10-pt relay has an open slot in its armature so adding the extra switch requires minimum changes to the hardware.

I would think from all the other games I've worked on its more than possible. an open slot or just adding a custom bent switch at the end of the stack should do the trick.

I'll post progress. Game is being delivered tomorrow.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Be cool when you add a little red light in the end of the barrel to simulate a muzzle flash each time your coil is fired.

Well, it started with the idea of a red #44 flasher LED. Then I thought making it involve game play would be even better.

I picked up the game about an hour ago and while looking at it, I think a switch on one of the relay stacks will control a light at the end of the barrel.

I am concerned that if I tie into every single 10 point shot, the gun is going to be constantly going off. Perhaps the hundreds relay would be better. I have to look over the feature scoring to figure that out.

Tonight I spent some time working on the slide mechanism

IMG_5769 (resized).jpgIMG_5769 (resized).jpgIMG_5770 (resized).jpgIMG_5770 (resized).jpgOld Chicago Back Box Relays (resized).jpgOld Chicago Back Box Relays (resized).jpg
#28 1 year ago

20 Gauge wire for the coil line?

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Green - You could probably put a red 48v panel indicator (pilot light) in there and just wire it directly to your coil. You wouldn't have to run separate 6v wiring or a switch for the lamp that way.
Something like this should work if it isn't too big for your barrel. It's a little over an inch in diameter.
amazon.com link »

That is a pretty nice light & I could build 10 with that bundle you found. The barrel should be exactly 1 inch from my current projected measurements. So It might be a little to large.
I think a #44 in red might have a better look from the side since it will stick out more.

Planning to tap into the back box GI for power.
You might be right though, just taking power from the coil line and stepping it down with a simple resistor. Worth figuring out how to make that work. Reduce complexity of the design by doing that.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Peruman:

To use the coil 50V to power up a 6V LED, you would need to burn a lot of power with that resistor. You’d have to burn 44V, you would need a big power resistor (high Wattage rating) and it would still get pretty hot.
I think a second power rail going to the gun for the LED would be better.
Regards
Alberto

Good point. I agree. I’m also thinking with a second power rail for the LED. If the location the game lives in thinks the gun is loud. I can turn the coil off but keep the LED on.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Is the coil going to hit a wooden base and sound like a knocker or do you have a different sound in mind?
Also, Is your gun going to be pointed forward as if it was shooting at the player?

The gun is going to be facing sideways on top of the back box. Three reasons for this.

1) A sideways view let’s everyone see more detail on the gun.

2) I have the option of beefier components because I can hide it all behind the gun.

3) I may be able to get away with less material needed if I only have to print one side.

As far as the striking point. I’m going to try just a coil stop first and see how that sounds in open air with no sound deadening.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

If the LED takes, say, 30 mA then the resistor should be 44 V / 0.03 A = 1467 ohms, and it then dissipates 44 V * 0.03 A = 1.32 watts. So you would use a 1.5 k / 2 W resistor - not very big or hot, since the LED is not continuously lit.

awesome awesome, thank you. I’ll see if I have some laying around to add into my bench test.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider green5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/daisy-chain-coils-safe?tu=green5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.