5ADA5341-2031-47CF-AC72-58F00F168006 (resized).jpeg
43634188-ED9D-42FD-9DF0-93C6071B21F8 (resized).jpeg
2018-04-27 10.31.45 (resized).jpg
4cd14ace7543eda7180c005405a8afac684653b5 (resized).jpg
20180422_221627 (resized).jpg
20180422_221616 (resized).jpg
20180422_214324 (resized).jpg
20180422_214126 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#645 6 years ago

Played the game a lot this weekend. Have gone from "no chance I'll get one" to "what would we sell to make room for it?".

My initial impressions (the same as many others had) were way off. DI is a lot of fun.

Do I sell Pat's best selling game ever (TAF) for his newest? It really sucks having no more room for games without selling one first ...

#648 6 years ago

High Score #4 today, number 7 overall. 641k. If I break 1M this weekend, I think I'll have to put down a deposit.

IMG_2192 (resized).JPGIMG_2192 (resized).JPG

#656 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Tell the truth, you like it alot.

A lot more than I expected to. I'm not a good player as far as pinball players go so the score thing is just because the good players haven't played it yet. It has a retro feel, the shots are smooth (and fun).

If I had room I would have put down a deposit already. At this point, the decision is not "Do I like it enough to buy?" rather "Do I like it enough to sell something I already have?". Given that all of my games are/were keepers and I have no slots left, that's my dilemma.

#703 6 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Can someone explain to me why one would consider buying a DI? I'm interested because is looks fun to play and most people agree its a blast to play.

It's fun. It's not intimidating to a novice nor too hard for an average player. The shots are smooth and varied. The graphics show great promise. It has that "just one more game appeal". If you like Lawlor games you will like DI. The much maligned cell phone actually works well as a way to advance the game. I think it's the best use of a mini LCD that we've seen on any game to date.

Yes, the name is a head scratcher and the guy holding the cell phone as the central art is a major disappointment. Whoever said the game should have been called "Quantum City Chaos" was dead on. The title "Dialed In!" will seem dated and obsolete in a few years (if it isn't already). I used to think the title and art fiascos were enough to derail the game - I was one of those that was totally deflated at the initial announce. However although I feel that the title and art will cost JJP sales, I think game play will save it. It won't outsell WOZ, but will do far better than Hobbit.

#729 6 years ago

One effect I thought was particularly well done was the use of the shaker when the train was coming at you at the start of multiball. Every time I felt like an actual was headed at me. If the game didn't come with a shaker motor, I would add one to get that effect even if it was the only use of the motor. Very cool.

#731 6 years ago

The problem with the "Dialed In" title is that everyone immediately associates as being "the pinball with the cell phone" and it becomes a reference to a toy on the playfield, not the game. It's like calling "Earthshaker!" "Falling Institute", "Twilight Zone" "Gumballs" or "Funhouse" ""Shut Up, Rudy!"

The "it's the cell phone game" moniker is going to be the biggest albatross for the game to overcome. I will probably find room for a DI because I really enjoy the game play. But I will also commission someone to draw me a Quantum City Chaos backglass. (If JJP wants to sell accessories for DI, I hope they do that one first ...)

So the theme in this case won't prevent me from getting the game. But because of the name/art and a misfire on the total package, I'll probably consider it a good, not great game. For $8/9k, the entire package should be be a home run. I suspect JJP won't do another unlicensed theme unless DI far exceeds sales expectations. (But DI will also sell better than a POTC license without Johnny Depp no matter how good the game plays, so there's that).

But I can live with "game play is great / title and art disappoints" vs. the reverse.

#733 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

Fish Tales
Whitewater
No Good Gophers
Not my favorites but all have a warm spot in pinball history.

In the "licensed era" I would add:
Safe Cracker
Funhouse
Medieval Madness
Attack From Mars

Pinbot, High Speed and Eight Bsll Deluxe come to mind, but I don't consider them part of the "must be a license" era.

#737 6 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I don't think this is a big deal for most people, especially casual players and people under 40. I watched a ton of people play the game this weekend and no one was really talking about the cell phone more than needing to charge it up while they played it to get to the modes, just like any other playfield toy.

I'm thinking about games on location where first impression gets the quarters. DI isn't going to get those casual players. It will be dismissed as "the game with a cell phone".

#753 6 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

I definitely do not want to derail this thread, but this is the first time I have heard that a JJP POTC would not be able to have Johnny Depp in it. How would that even be possible? Where was this rumor--in the JJP4 speculation thread?

I had heard this earlier this year and heard it again from another (trusted) industry insider very recently. The story goes that JJP does not have the license to use Johnny Depp speech or likeness, cannot refer to "The Black Pearl" along with some other IP. But it's just rumor and not based on any official word from JJP. Eric (JJP 4 designer) mentioned at the Denver show that the current plan was to reveal #4 at Expo, but gave no clues on theme.

I have heard that JJP has licenses for Toy Story and POTC and that POTC may be first as opposed to TS. I'm somewhat skeptical of either, though I would love a Toy Story pin, especially if JJP does it.

As for POTC, I'm sure a game could be based on the POTC attraction, but most would probably be disappointed if it wasn't based on the movie series (which you would presume would make up the bulk of the video assets).

I don't care POTC in either form. Give me Dialed In and Toy Story. If I can fit those two in my game room, I'll be happy.

#767 6 years ago

Double rats!

I would love a Muppets pin. But I'll settle for Toy Story.

#774 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Did you ask him what the theme of the game he is designing for JJP will be?

I did. He was very careful in not revealing a clue.

#781 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Can anyone guess what I'm doing Friday?

Waking up?
Getting dressed?
Eating?

Opening up a very large very heavy box?
Making the rest of us jealous?

#806 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have owned NGG 5 times.

You can almost hear Budd and Buzz:

Yes! He likes us!
He doesn't like you.

Hey, I know you!
Good Riddance.

You again?
You suck at golf anyway.

I'm having deja vu - again.
We are through with you - again.

We're Back!
We're moving so often my head is spinning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 22.50
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dailed-in-by-jjp?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.