feeling good.gif
IMG_5622 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6743 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6741 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1144 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 148.
#6001 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Spent a few hours playing four Jaws last night, two of each model. No surprise, it's a blast.
I fully expected to "need" a premium but had more fun on the pro, not worrying about remembering to look up and flip a split second after making the upper playfield shot. I appreciate that it's designed to not spend much time up there, but it's over SO fast that it doesn't add much, seems to exist only to make a premium. The ramp exit habitrail that loops around and does a u-turn up the playfield is almost comically intricate. Looks neat but doesn't amount to much.
Kind of enjoyed the standups more than the drops, too. Just had a satisfying ricochet off them, I guess. Jaws is so fast & sleek that drop targets feel a bit old-fashioned & clunky in that layout. Nothing wrong with them, satisfying in their own way, but standups seem to fit this layout better to me. If you like Deadpool pro, you'll like these standups.
At this point my only "must have" from the premium is the art, and I could always get a premium translite for the pro. That's most of what I see when a game is in a row anyway. Still holding out hope that the upper playfield will feel more essential when I know all the rules.
If you're clamoring for innovation, it's here, it just doesn't hit you in the face. In my opinion the playfield design is maybe the most forward-thinking modern game. It has no traditional ramps that start halfway down the playfield and take up a ton of real estate (think Iron Maiden). Two of the three "ramps" are long orbit/lane shots that eventually turn up, and the third is a 180 so short & fast that it doesn't appear to be a ramp at first glance. It's amazing to have such a wide open playfield on a three-ramp, three flipper game. It's why there's room for that huge chum line mech, and cross-playfield shots, and STILL nothing feels remotely crowded.
Speaking of cross-playfield shots, the one that goes just above the target bank and into the left "orbit," genius. Looks like magic that it could enter almost perpendicular but go straight up the orbit instead of bricking. Sometimes it even comes all the way around & out of that shot.
The trick where you can trap every upper flipper feed before shooting is cool, but wore thin quickly. Almost felt like a cheat code to be able to hold it there indefinitely and take a controlled shot every time. Then there's the actual lock during multiball, which is even cooler, and not endlessly exploitable (unless you catch the right shark). Good thing there isn't reverse staging on that flipper for multiball.
This post is too long, more thoughts later.

Thanks for posting. Can't wait to play. I have always preferred standups to drop downs.

The Pro looks like it shoots great. I'm sure someone is working on a mod for the top right corner to fill up the space.

#6002 5 months ago

One aspect of pro vs. premium I neglected to mention, the shark! For better or worse it's kind of a non-factor. I found myself almost never purposely shooting the boat/shark on either model, because the main shots are so satisfying and a bash toy is just a bash toy.

Premium captive ball required a bit more precision & oomph because it's angled up, which wasn't apparent to me before actually playing the game. On the pro any glancing shot will push the captive ball all the way back.

I will say the premium felt less monotonous, because every once in a while you're bashing a shark instead of a captive ball. But only every once in a while. Moving fin is the main event, shark head is more like peek-a-boo.

#6003 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Probably like an eight or nine? The reel shot seemed a bit sloppy/clunky. I wanted the ball to whip through and spin that mofo. Seemed like the reel would lazily turn, and by the time it spun enough to register the shot, the ball was long gone. There's no traditional switch in that turnaround, so the reel has to turn X number of times for the game to credit a shot.
That said, I watched the Hot Nudge stream when I got home, and their reel shot seemed faster. Logan's pro might have been steeper. The ones I played were nearly flat in the back leg levelers, bubble touching the bottom line.
Maybe I just never hit it clean enough.

I’ve notice the reel shot being clunky in some streams and not others. Thanks for your review.

#6004 5 months ago

Stern will be doing their
JAWS pro Livestream today 5pm

7E47A5D1-C380-405D-9DFF-E16BA575B7A1 (resized).jpeg7E47A5D1-C380-405D-9DFF-E16BA575B7A1 (resized).jpeg
#6005 5 months ago

I've only purchased 2 NIB machines, both Premiums from Automated Services. I've never had a LE. 1 I went to the distributor and paid in person w/a bank check at time of pickup (Foo) & the other was paid for w/ a CC just before shipping & drop off at my door. (JP)

For Jaws, I put a deposit down w/ AGS of Maryland & now it's time to pay the balance. He doesn't have it in hand yet but says Stern is requesting payment in advance. Is this normal w/ LEs? They are listed on Stern's site as a dealer so I'm assuming it's all good. figured it could hurt to ask here before sending payment.

#6006 5 months ago
Quoted from Mutt:

I've only purchased 2 NIB machines, both Premiums from Automated Services. I've never had a LE. 1 I went to the distributor and paid in person w/a bank check at time of pickup (Foo) & the other was paid for w/ a CC just before shipping & drop off at my door. (JP)
For Jaws, I put a deposit down w/ AGS of Maryland & now it's time to pay the balance. He doesn't have it in hand yet but says Stern is requesting payment in advance. Is this normal w/ LEs? They are listed on Stern's site as a dealer so I'm assuming it's all good. figured it could hurt to ask here before sending payment.

I bought my Foo Premium with Joe from AGS, he's legit. And it seems to be normal with most distributors for LEs to pay up front, heck even the ones on Stern's site required full payment.

#6007 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

One aspect of pro vs. premium I neglected to mention, the shark! For better or worse it's kind of a non-factor. I found myself almost never purposely shooting the boat/shark on either model, because the main shots are so satisfying and a bash toy is just a bash toy.
Premium captive ball required a bit more precision & oomph because it's angled up, which wasn't apparent to me before actually playing the game. On the pro any glancing shot will push the captive ball back all the way.
I will say the premium felt less monotonous, because every once in a while you're bashing a shark instead of a captive ball. But only every once in a while. Moving fin is the main event, shark head is more like peek-a-boo.

Thanks for your review. I have been really struggling to justify moving up to the premium. The pop up shark is cool but all it really does is replace a captive ball with another bash object. And you are spot on with the upper playfield. Seems like someone else said it actually makes the shot to get it up there a bit more difficult. Did you feel the same?

How about the auto plunges to the reel going SDTM?

Jaws is my dream theme and I was planning on getting the premium. But maybe pro is the way to go and save the $2,500.

#6008 5 months ago
Quoted from MrNurbtastic:

I bought my Foo Premium with Joe from AGS, he's legit. And it seems to be normal with most distributors for LEs to pay up front, heck even the ones on Stern's site required full payment.

Thanks, this is all I needed to hear.

#6009 5 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

“The degrees of separation just isn’t that much no matter how hard people want to blow Elwin.”
Hmm, I wonder if he shows excitement during that moment. Don’t look at me, I only have 3 of his games. We need a true fan that has the whole collection.

You rang?

#6010 5 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Thanks for your review. I have been really struggling to justify moving up to the premium. The pop up shark is cool but all it really does is replace a captive ball with another bash object. And you are spot on with the upper playfield. Seems like someone else said it actually makes the shot to get it up there a bit more difficult. Did you feel the same?
Jaws is my dream theme and I was planning on getting the premium. But maybe pro is the way to go and save the $2,500.

Wait for the pro stream tonight and then watch the premium/le stream after to get a side by side comparison of sorts. I’m usually a premium guy but there is something about the pro on this one that’s interesting me more, plus Elwin always makes fun pros.

#6011 5 months ago

Just save all your money and pay yo play on location or go to one of your friends that bought it . No problem

Quoted from Mattyk:Thanks for your review. I have been really struggling to justify moving up to the premium. The pop up shark is cool but all it really does is replace a captive ball with another bash object. And you are spot on with the upper playfield. Seems like someone else said it actually makes the shot to get it up there a bit more difficult. Did you feel the same?

#6012 5 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Seems like someone else said it actually makes the shot to get it up there a bit more difficult. Did you feel the same?

Didn't seem like the premium ramp was harder than the pro, they each rejected or half-ramped a decent amount. One big difference for the pro is that when you half-ramp, it smoothly drops onto a different habitrail and software compensates you as if you made the shot. Software might also award the shot on the premium, not sure, but you're missing out on the upper PF for sure. That makes a ramp reject more apparent on the premium. I bet some players don't even know the pro ramp isn't completing, it's such a seamless drop.

Quoted from Mattyk:

Not on any of the four machines I played. Sometimes it was near the tip of a flipper, but never SDTM. I suspect that's a leveling issue.

#6013 5 months ago

One funny anecdote from last night, THE SHARK ATE THE BALL.

My friend's literal first shot at the shark yesterday: ball jumped up on the rail beside its head, boat went down, ball dropped right into (or on top of) the shark's mouth on the way down into the playfield. Perfect gulp. Of course it regurgitated a moment later, but that was a pinside-worthy moment. Wish all the ETB guys coulda been there.

#6014 5 months ago
IMG_8549 (resized).pngIMG_8549 (resized).png
#6015 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

One funny anecdote from last night, THE SHARK ATE THE BALL.
My friend's literal first shot at the shark yesterday: ball jumped up on the rail beside its head, boat went down, ball dropped right into (or on top of) the shark's mouth on the way down into the playfield. Perfect gulp. Of course it regurgitated a moment later, but that was a pinside-worthy moment. Wish all the ETB guys coulda been there.

That should be a secret shot, like dirty pool. Call it the “super secret ETB” shot

#6016 5 months ago

Pro stream is live!

#6017 5 months ago

This game looks so brutal. No one but Elwin has gotten more than one Hunt. Elwin barely got 2. I watched every stream so far and it looks to be a heavy grind.

#6018 5 months ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

This game looks so brutal. No one but Elwin has gotten more than one Hunt. Elwin barely got 2. I watched every stream so far and it looks to be a heavy grind.

I haven't played it yet but it does appear to be more similar to JP in shot difficulty/ball times vs Godzilla which is a welcome change. There's quite a bit of side to side action and the slings seem rather active. It may be a game where it's better to trap up that upper right side flipper and then let the ball fall into the inlane vs. shooting that cross shot except when necessary (I'd shoot the drops from the lower flippers instead).

#6019 5 months ago

I'll buy a pro if someone makes this alt translite

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6020 5 months ago

<

Quoted from Gambeno:

This is awesome!

#6021 5 months ago

Pretty happy with my pro order.
Looks good on the stream.

#6022 5 months ago

Enjoying the Pro stream. I'm usually a Prem/LE guy but solely based on the two streams I think I'm preferring the Pro gameplay. Am I nuts?! I do miss the bash shark but I don't miss the upper playfield or anything else that's not in the Pro.

#6023 5 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I'll buy a pro if someone makes this alt translite[quoted image]

Amazing.. this cover, it's one of the reasons I'm in for a Pro, and I still have the original magazine I bought from a little food mart around the corner from my house when I was just a few years old, the month it came out!

#6024 5 months ago
Quoted from reffob:

Enjoying the Pro stream. I'm usually a Prem/LE guy but solely based on the two streams I think I'm preferring the Pro gameplay. Am I nuts?! I do miss the bash shark but I don't miss the upper playfield or anything else that's not in the Pro.

I think you may be nuts, but that doesn’t make you a bad guy.

#6025 5 months ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Pro looks great, to me it's more of a strategy game and it's never gonna wow me with it's toys or the upper playfield. I think the beach town scene art on the upper left is cool and captures the atmosphere of the game very well and I'd argue that the best shot in the whole game is only on the Pro, up the left, the wave ramp shot that returns the ball to the mini flipper, dropping it down to the right.

#6026 5 months ago

Just watched the Stream until the pin froze/crashed. Pro is the way to go. Hard to justify almost 3k to Premium or 7k to the LE with the pricing in Germany. Just replace the goofy shark with a mod and you have a great shooting pin.

#6027 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Didn't seem like the premium ramp was harder than the pro, they each rejected or half-ramped a decent amount. One big difference for the pro is that when you half-ramp, it smoothly drops onto a different habitrail and software compensates you as if you made the shot. Software might also award the shot on the premium, not sure, but you're missing out on the upper PF for sure. That makes a ramp reject more apparent on the premium. I bet some players don't even know the pro ramp isn't completing, it's such a seamless drop.

I asked in stream. It’s the exact same ramp on the pro and premium. No difference in make-ability and the premium also does the same feed to the right habitrail on weak shots.

#6028 5 months ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Pro looks great, to me it's more of a strategy game and it's never gonna wow me with it's toys or the upper playfield. I think the beach town scene art on the upper left is cool and captures the atmosphere of the game very well and I'd argue that the best shot in the whole game is only on the Pro, up the left, the wave ramp shot that returns the ball to the mini flipper, dropping it down to the right.

Quoted from MrSmiley:

Just watched the Stream until the pin froze/crashed. Pro is the way to go. Hard to justify almost 3k to Premium or 7k to the LE with the pricing in Germany. Just replace the goofy shark with a mod and you have a great shooting pin.

I agree with all of this. I actually prefer without the upper playfield. And the little pop up shark is cool but not something I would miss based on watching both streams.

Quoted from Mike_J:

aww thanks man

#6029 5 months ago

Watching the replay on the Pro stream. This confirmed my suspicions but... Pro is definitely the best IMO. Don't miss the upper play field whatsoever but... I think the mod community will need to do a complete replacement for the shark/cage and you've got a banger.

#6030 5 months ago

I played a premium today for a few games. Shark immediately ate the ball. I got a good chuckle. The Chum Line wasn’t working. That center shot to the upper playfield was damn near impossible. Art package was amazing even though I felt underwhelmed by the reveal. Sound and video is the best Stern has done yet.

The targets definitely shoot like JP, but overall it has a Godzilla like flow that doesn’t really progress the game much. I’m not the biggest fan of JP, and I love the flow of my Godzilla, but this seems like a good hybrid of the two that keeps me wanting to play time and time again. It raises the question for me if Pro is the way to go. I think in time with some mods the Pro might be close to the Premium in the way Godzilla is.

My guess is the two pools of thought as always will be “the premium features are necessary” and “they don’t add much to be desired.” My biggest take away is if the Chum Line was the same on the Pro, I’d have my deposit down by now.

#6031 5 months ago

Chum line is the same on all models I believe.

#6032 5 months ago
Quoted from badfish981:

Chum line is the same on all models I believe.

Sorry, read the matrix wrong. The Fish Finder drop down vs pop ups. Seems like such an odd thing to cheap out on.

#6033 5 months ago

Also on the machine I played, the ball was doing some weird rolls over the chum line insert for sure. Not every time, but enough to notice.

#6034 5 months ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

That center shot to the upper playfield was damn near impossible.

Interesting....you're not the first to tell me this. Keith rattled it several times in his solo video. A friend of mine had access to a Pro and Prem side by side, he bounced back and forth and said he liked the wave ramp better on the Pro. On today's stream Keith said the geometry of the wave ramp is identical on Pro and Prem so not sure what that's about. I need to watch the first stream again.

Quoted from superNoid:

Watching the replay on the Pro stream. This confirmed my suspicions but... Pro is definitely the best IMO. Don't miss the upper play field whatsoever but... I think the mod community will need to do a complete replacement for the shark/cage and you've got a banger.

This was my reaction after watching both streams, which totally surprises me. I almost always prefer Prem/LE layouts. Not saying Prem looks bad, not at all, just prefer the Pro at the moment. And I already saw someone is working on a shark to replace the funko pop

Quoted from nickrivers:

Sorry, read the matrix wrong. The Fish Finder drop down vs pop ups. Seems like such an odd thing to cheap out on.

Totally agree! I get removing pop up shark and upper playfield but leave the dang drop targets.

#6035 5 months ago

Liz was a great tour guide in both streams. Her exceptional gameplay ability along with her tips, tricks and stories with the code was excellent.

Very well done and thank you.

Also cool to actually see on the pro, where the right ramp crosses under/around the wave ramp allowing the player that miss/opportunity to cross ramps when shooting the wave ramp.
Cool design.

#6036 5 months ago
Quoted from reffob:

Interesting....you're not the first to tell me this. Keith rattled it several times in his solo video. A friend of mine had access to a Pro and Prem side by side, he bounced back and forth and said he liked the wave ramp better on the Pro. On today's stream Keith said the geometry of the wave ramp is identical on Pro and Prem so not sure what that's about. I need to watch the first stream again.

This was my reaction after watching both streams, which totally surprises me. I almost always prefer Prem/LE layouts. Not saying Prem looks bad, not at all, just prefer the Pro at the moment. And I already saw someone is working on a shark to replace the funko pop

Totally agree! I get removing pop up shark and upper playfield but leave the dang drop targets.

Yeah I believe there’s two shots to access the upper playfield right? It’s the center one that rattled like Keith’s on stream. When it did work I was so surprised I forgot to make the shot Lol!

It’s the removal of features like the pop ups that make me think “C’mon Stern. Don’t shit where you eat. Meet us halfway.”

Looking at your awesome collection, it’s gonna funny to see a pro amongst the LEs haha.

#6037 5 months ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Yeah I believe there’s two shots to access the upper playfield right? It’s the center one that rattled like Keith’s on stream. When it did work I was so surprised I forgot to make the shot Lol!
It’s the removal of features like the pop ups that make me think “C’mon Stern. Don’t shit where you eat. Meet us halfway.”
Looking at your awesome collection, it’s gonna funny to see a pro amongst the LEs haha.

Haha thanks. I'll definitely play both first. I'm just going off the streams which I know can only tell you so much.

Did you play Jaws at AYCE Gogi? Love that place.

#6038 5 months ago
Quoted from reffob:

Haha thanks. I'll definitely play both first. I'm just going off the streams which I know can only tell you so much.
Did you play Jaws at AYCE Gogi? Love that place.

Yup, first time at the Van Nuys location, some machines needed some love. I frequent the West Hills and prefer that one.

#6039 5 months ago
Quoted from reffob:

We need to get iepinball one of these so he can do that thing where he hyper-analyzes why a shot rattles and finds the easy fix

#6040 5 months ago
Quoted from attack7777:

We need to get iepinball one of these so he can do that thing where he hyper-analyzes why a shot rattles and finds the easy fix

Yes! Karl is good friends with Shane at AYCE Gogi, hopefully he'll get a Jaws to stream soon.

#6041 5 months ago

Looking forward to seeing the different shark mods! I may just replace him with another Bruce, give him red eyes and tie it to the shark light when lit..

IMG_2670 (resized).jpegIMG_2670 (resized).jpeg
#6042 5 months ago

I’m thinking about moving the Shark cage to the L where the upper playfield would be and getting a model Orca or something for the center.

Quoted from superNoid:

#6043 5 months ago
Quoted from attack7777:

Guessing don't clip the chum bucket ball on the way up?

#6044 5 months ago

i think anyone who had to have a premium jp for the raptor pit, is going to need a premium. Most probably be fine with pro and some mods

#6045 5 months ago
Quoted from BobFL:

Others here have said to loosen the VUK and twist it towards the pops (apparently it will only move a fraction) and it will shoot into the pops all the time. Most shoot towards the pops but I've watched other machines where it didn't. Sadly, the worst machine I saw was at INDISC which got right at the tank target and often went SDTM & ruined the impression of the game & what the kicker is supposed to do. Gomez said it should shoot to the pops and the pops play a big role in the game.

Thanks. Dropped the power on my kick out by one and it seems to be much better.

#6046 5 months ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Amazing.. this cover, it's one of the reasons I'm in for a Pro, and I still have the original magazine I bought from a little food mart around the corner from my house when I was just a few years old, the month it came out!

That’s awesome. My uncle had a huge collection of MAD that I read through most of growing up. Watching the pro stream today this cover just popped in my head. Has been decades since I’ve even held a MAD magazine but seeing the poster for an extend amount of time brought this memory back.

#6047 5 months ago

I think the pro is great bang for buck even though they removed shit they didn't need to like the drops. Little bit of penny pinching still happening there that isn't appreciated Stern.

So the modders will buy some toys wholesale in bulk, shove an led up a sharks bum and charge $300 for it. Just go on ebay and spice up the pro dead space in the back corner with a nice sculpt and your good to go.

#6048 5 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

That’s awesome. My uncle had a huge collection of MAD that I read through most of growing up. Watching the pro stream today this cover just popped in my head. Has been decades since I’ve even held a MAD magazine but seeing the poster for an extend amount of time brought this memory back.

Great memory and I'd definitely be in for a translite of it too! Would be great conversation piece.

#6049 5 months ago

Could drops be installed on the Pro to replace the stand ups like was done to this Iron Man?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creating-an-iron-man-premium#post-4267022

#6050 5 months ago

Seems like a lot of work but in theory it’s possible.

Quoted from spidey:

Could drops be installed on the Pro to replace the stand ups like was done to this Iron Man?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creating-an-iron-man-premium#post-4267022

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 9,699.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Osage Beach, MO
$ 19.95
Playfield - Plastics
CRCades

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blandon, PA
$ 17.50
$ 210.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 17.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Delight

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Dr Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 26.50
$ 799.00
Playfield - Plastics
CRCades

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mead, WA
There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 148.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.