(Topic ID: 12249)

Dad refuses to play a single game of pinball with me.

By CrazyFliprFingrs

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazyfliprfingrs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

My Dad is 75, the very definition of curmudgeon.
    He lives on the east coast and visits me a couple times a year.
    He does not understand why I collect pinball machines, thinks its stupid.
    I said, Dad, if you would just play one game with me, you would understand why I love these.
    He absolutely refuses, says, "I have no interest in this whatsoever"
    One of these days when he departs this planet I will buy a BBB and a MM on the very same day with his money, and not feel bad at all about doing it. Not for a second.

#8 12 years ago

I sold my problematic Eight Ball Deluxe to a man in Sacramento with a seven year old son.
    I arrived home and called him and asked if how the project was coming along.
    He told me his son had already diagnosed, desoldered and replaced five bad transistors.
    Seven year old kid.
    I said. You must be really proud of him.
    He said, He loves pinball just as much as I do.

I am not too happy right now, can you tell?

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's not what he's into.
    Why don't you join him in what he does enjoy ?
    The day will come where you'll never get another chance.
    LTG

He does not enjoy anything. If he did, that would be nice.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

And then ud have the money to ship Yukon too!

lol, played it yet?

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

CrazyFliprFingrs said:One of these days when he departs this planet I will buy a BBB and a MM on the very same day with his money, and not feel bad at all about doing it. Not for a second.
    Respectfully, if I am way off base, please forgive me, but you outta rethink this. Maybe he feels that you attained something in your life that he never could, whatever that hobby would have been, and your invitation just reminds him of what he feels is failure. Don't know what kind of circumstances you grew up in or how he feels about himself. If you have never seen "Fields of Dreams" it is about the anger a man has towards the "wasted" life of his father. But what it brings out is that we often do not know our fathers when they have life in their eyes and fire in the bellies before the world tears their balls off and leaves them a broken shell, and until we experience the same, we really are unable to relate.
    Try to accept him for who he is. You are angry and when he does go, what you might find is that you may not be grieving him as much as the loss of the hope of the opportunity to have related successfully to him. that grief is much heavier.
    Regardless of how he chooses to act, it is not a statement about you and more a statement about himselff.
    It funny. I hate rap. But my son recently sent me a link to a song called "Yesterday" by Atmosphere. Very touching. If you do, listen through the end.
    I hope I am not coming off too strong, but I probably am. It is something I feel so strongly about that I do get intense about it.
    I hope things improve for you with your Pop.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

#20 12 years ago

I really can't see myself blowing twenty grand on two machines, no matter how I got the money, but I'm just feeling pissed off. Reminds me of the words of Ernest Hemingway's son.

'And as they lowered the casket into the ground, all I could think was I will never have another chance to disappoint him'

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's not what he's into.
    Why don't you join him in what he does enjoy ?
    The day will come where you'll never get another chance.
    LTG

Well, thats what I am doing.
    he enjoys scrubbing and cleaning my house, so thats what I will be doing for the next three days, vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, cleaning, climbing on ladders and getting cobwebs, I can't tell you how ecstatic this visit is going, its the most fun I have ever had. Sigh.

#30 12 years ago

Quote from my Dad :

"Why don't you collect postage stamps instead?"

#36 12 years ago

Thanks Squish.
    I finally got him to play a game of pinball.
    He didn't like it, but I thought it was cool that he would at least meet me halfway.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazyfliprfingrs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dad-refuses-to-play-a-single-game-of-pinball-with-me?tu=crazyfliprfingrs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.