New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 279689)

F2 blowing on Gotlieb The Games

By Pinfert

3 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pinfert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20201016_210510 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20201016_210452 (resized).jpg

#1 3 days ago

I have a gotlieb "The Games" that keeps blowing the F2 fuse on startup. I switched out the bridge rectifier associated with it, and it still goes. I disconnected everything except for the power coming in. Could it be the capacitors? What else can I check?

IMG_20201016_210452 (resized).jpgIMG_20201016_210510 (resized).jpg

#3 3 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I documented these symptoms on a game I worked on a few years ago. Take a look here:
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#F2_Fuse_Blows_At_Power_Up_on_80A_games

Thanks! I checked that out, but they aren't showing continuity with the ground and seem to be insulated by the plastic.

#4 3 days ago
    Quoted from Pinfert:

I have a gotlieb "The Games" that keeps blowing the F2 fuse on startup. I switched out the bridge rectifier associated with it, and it still goes. I disconnected everything except for the power coming in. Could it be the capacitors? What else can I check?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

For the F2 issue, the PinWiki article is a good resource, but what is up with that loose fuse below the left most fuse on the block? It looks like it could be shorting the fuse to the ground plate. Also I'd replace all the fuses with corrosion on them.

#5 3 days ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

What is up with that loose fuse below the left most fuse on the block? It looks like it could be shorting the fuse to the ground plate. Also I'd replace all the fuses with corrosion on them.

Good catch, and a there are some corroded solder joints.

I’d say, replace the fuse blocks and get fresh solder on them and that’s a good start too

#6 3 days ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

For the F2 issue, the PinWiki article is a good resource, but what is up with that loose fuse below the left most fuse on the block? It looks like it could be shorting the fuse to the ground plate. Also I'd replace all the fuses with corrosion on them.

That was me taking a picture right after changing the fuse, but not removing the loose fuse. It wasn't there when the fuse was blowing, but thanks for pointing that out! I might be absent minded, but it's not that bad!

#7 2 days ago

I disconnected the capacitors, turned it on, and no fuse blows. Tested both capicitors,and one seems to test bad. Ordered new capacitors and will install later this week and update.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 29.95
    $ 179.99
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 99.00
    $ 219.00
    $ 15.00
    $ 25.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinshakers
    Tools
    Troxel Repair
    $ 58.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Chrome Candy

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside