Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

FINALLY. After looking forward to this part of vacation for more than a week, I have experienced D and D pinball in Tucson AZ. I never had an opportunity to speak with Gary or Jane but I do want to extend a huge thank you to them.

The AWESOME
Just the fact that the place exists at all is awesome
The owners give back a significant amount of money to the community through various charities.

The GREAT:
The location is near the University of Arizona and seeing so many younger people playing was encouraging.
The prices are mostly .50 per game with a few of the more popular/newer titles set at .75
There is a good mix of EM, SS, older DMD and newer DMD.
The games are clean.
There was only one observed credit dot.
There was more than adequate spacing for the 28 (ish?) games present.
The location has its own public toilet and a Pepsi machine.
Most games have a pingulp® on them.

The NOT SO GOOD
The lower right flipper on TAF had just about enough power to ... ? ... push the ball to the middle of the field?
It was frustrating enough that I left with a ball to play.

There were a few other titles that had weak/misaligned flippers that made cradling/passing/back hands/slap saves etc impossible.

The lighting was too bright, especially with the large entry door left open. Most of the play fields were difficult to read.

The table volumes were not balanced.

The tables on the left and right side of the room all lean toward the building entry. MM was so far out of level that it was nearly impossible to keep a ball in play.

I played 2 of the 4 games that were in the middle of the room (Stargate and IJ) and they were pitched so high that less than half of the shots would make a ramp.

The TAKEAWAY
Despite all of the frustrations of trying to play, just PLAYING still made me have a wonderful time.
BOP is way better than I remember.
I now MUST own RBION.

College age women are WAY hotter than I remember from 30 years ago...

I again thank the owners of D and D for all that they are doing.

I hope all of us that are in the area take the time to support them.

I pray that someone does a better job of compensating for the uneven floor.

Incognito, 1/4/13

#2 10 years ago

Did you bring your issues up to someone there? If not, perhaps they don't know some of them even exist.

Also a credit dot does not necessarily indicate that something is broken.

Sounds like a great place to play and with 20 games they would probably appreciate the feedback.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

Did you bring your issues up to someone there? If not, perhaps they don't know some of them even exist.

I am now in the process of contacting the owners with some of this review. I hope that I didn't come off as too negative. As far as a public place to play goes, I would rate it 9/10. The best experience I have ever had prior to this would be 5/10 at best.

The credit dot was on RS and it was accurate. The machine didn't recognize when a ball was locked. This wasn't all bad though because every time I locked a ball then lost a ball, a ball search released the locked ball to keep me going!

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

College age women are WAY hotter than I remember from 30 years ago...

(Don't you just hate it when there are no pictures to go with a post?)

#5 10 years ago

Your review came off as positive and it is great that there is another place to play pin out there.

My only concern is if you didn't let anyone know of your issues. With that many pins, it may be hard to keep up on them all and reporting issues is doing them a big favor!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

(Don't you just hate it when there are no pictures to go with a post?)

Well, a 50 year old man with a camera phone shooting cleavage seemed out of place. I need to learn to be MORE incognito.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

I didn't play all of the tables but, out of the 20 or so that I did, the only one that was level was BOP.

I noticed this at a different pinball arcade recently as well. You would think for someone who owns a dedicated arcade that leveling would be akin to putting on the playfield glass. It's hard for me to believe that they don't consider it important.

#8 10 years ago

The owners, Jane and Gary, are super people and are true pinball fanatics. I'm sure if you send them your opinions on what they have done right and what could be improved upon it will be well taken. It takes them awhile to respond via email--they are both working people and run D&D as a labor of love. That taken into consideration--they have done a spectacular job.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm sure if you send them your opinions on what they have done right and what could be improved upon it will be well taken

I agree with your whole post. I sent them a thank you email with a couple of minor suggestions, mostly to do with leveling. Again, it was a very positive experience.

I also believe that we can get spoiled playing our own machines, especially those of us who keep them in pristine condition.

#10 10 years ago

Very true, that!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

The NOT SO GOOD
The lower right flipper on TAF had just about enough power to ... ? ... push the ball to the middle of the field?
It was frustrating enough that I left with a ball to play.

There were a few other titles that had weak/misaligned flippers that made cradling/passing/back hands/slap saves etc impossible.

The lighting was too bright, especially with the large entry door left open. Most of the play fields were difficult to read.

The table volumes were not balanced.

The UGLY.
I didn't play all of the tables but, out of the 20 or so that I did, the only one that was level was BOP.

The tables on the left and right side of the room all lean toward the building entry. MM was so far out of level that it was nearly impossible to keep a ball in play.

I played 2 of the 4 games that were in the middle of the room(Stargate and IJ) and they were pitched so high that less than half of the shots would make a ramp.

I'm one of the guys that does the maintenance and fixes on the machines. Everyone there appreciates it when you let someone there know when you have an issue with a machine. We either fix it right away, or put a sign on the machine and add the issue to our fix it list. I will be opening today and will get there a bit early to work on the machines. TAF was working well last week when many of us showed up to do a lot of maintenance on the machines. Bummer that a flipper was out. It is a very popular machine.

Keeping the machines level -- apologies on that front. We level them often, but it takes two people to get through a bunch of machines quickly. Same with the pitch (I have noticed that you have to make your shots dead-on to get up the ramps on IJ and SG).

Happy that only one machine had a credit dot. Roadshow has a lot of going on in it. I'll get on that lock ball switch first thing when I get in (recently it was the eddy board adjustment to register Ted hits.)

All in all, Gary and Jane do a fantastic job with the place, and they do it for the love of the pinball community. It takes a lot of work to keep that many machines in good shape. Also, there is a group of dedicated volunteers to help when they can.

Also, glad you liked BOP. That is my machine that I brought down to put next to Pinbot. I've overspent on it getting it into shape, but have really liked how it turned out. Did you notice that it has a Diamond Plate PF with the yellow inserts (major one being the Billion Heart)?

Hope you make it back soon and definitely let someone there know if you are from out of town. Always good to know that someone has come from far just to play pinball.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

Well, a 50 year old man with a camera phone shooting cleavage seemed out of place. I need to learn to be MORE incognito.

I'm always surprised by the number of people there taking photos. Phone cameras, high end SLRs, old retro/hipster cameras, video cameras . . . everything but oil and water color paints.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

I agree with your whole post. I sent them a thank you email with a couple of minor suggestions, mostly to do with leveling. Again, it was a very positive experience.
I also believe that we can get spoiled playing our own machines, especially those of us who keep them in pristine condition.

I know what you mean. I have a few at home that are HUO and they are always a pleasure to play. Everyone there does their best to keep the machines in top shape, but 30 machines that are played solidly three days a week do get dirty and accrue issues. Mostly it is because they get more play in a weekend than a machine at home does in half a year.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

Lighting! Come at night. I really like the warehouse roll-up door for the entrance, but it does make the lighting uneven during the day. Any ideas on what to do?

#15 10 years ago

Also, if people want to know the latest about D&D pinball, check out their

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danddpinball

There will be a friendly competition night in two weeks. Here are the details (from their facebook page):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's time for another super-fun D&D Pinball Tournament!

Join us on Thursday, January 16th at 6:30pm for our "Flippin' New Year Tournament."

We have lots of great prizes for our top finishers, as well as another "One Ball Challenge" machine, where the player with the highest score after one ball will win $10!

Our tournaments are fun for all skill levels, from amateur to pro, everyone will have a blast!

Here's the list of great games you can expect to play during the tournament:

- The Simpson's Pinball Party
- AC/DC Premium
- The Addams Family
- Ripley's Believe It or Not
- Twilight Zone
- Theatre of Magic
- Medieval Madness
- Dr. Who
- Sharpshooter
- X-Men Pro

The cost is only $20 per person & is limited to the first 25 people who email us at [email protected] Warm-ups start at 5:45pm.

Don't forget, we open today at 3pm, so come on in and play our newest pin The Simpson's Pinball Party!
Keep on flippin'!
Gary & Jane

#16 10 years ago

Completely agree! Such an underrated game. I have one at home and absolutely love it!

#17 10 years ago

All the games being unlevel, and several with flippers not working, shouldn't they be checking for those very simple basic things?

It sounds like they never check any of their games ever, since all of them were drastically unlevel.

I know you can't play every game every day, or even that often, but they should be every now and again, no?.

Quoted from ninjadoug:

Did you bring your issues up to someone there?

#18 10 years ago

Lyonsden, I wish I had known about you earlier! I would have happily helped with any maintenance but didn't want to come off as a random know it all. (I didn't want to on here, either)

Jalpert, honestly it was one flipper that caught my eye. You could tell from the condition of the games and atmosphere that they cared.

And, as for coming at night...I would love to. This is my first time staying in the Tucson area and my wife and I find it more laid back and way less traffic than in and around the Phoenix area so, next year I will hit you up at night! Going to Sabino Canyon today and tomorrow then back to the chilly Midwest!

#19 10 years ago

Incognito, help is always appreciated. Especially when it makes the experience better for everyone playing the machines. Tucson is a great town. I've been here for 4 years (SF/Bay Area transplant). Wouldn't leave for any reason. Friendly people, wonderful hiking (Sabino Canyon is incredible), and, of course, a great place to play pinball. Not to mention the 70+ degree weather in winter . Definitely hit me up next time you are in town. I've a small collection of pins that are in great shape and people are welcome to play.

#20 10 years ago

From what you said, it sounded like almost none of the games were really playable. I also took those games that couldn't make ramp shots as flipper issues.

Quoted from Incognito:

I played 2 of the 4 games that were in the middle of the room(Stargate and IJ) and they were pitched so high that less than half of the shots would make a ramp.

Quoted from Incognito:

Jalpert, honestly it was one flipper that caught my eye. You could tell from the condition of the games and atmosphere that they cared.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

From what you said, it sounded like almost none of the games were really playable. I also took those games that couldn't make ramp shots as flipper issues.

I think he was referring to two out of 30 games. We will adjust those today. It sounds like he liked most of the games there.

#22 10 years ago

As well as check the leveling of the rest.

#23 10 years ago

These were my thoughts after my visit a couple of months back posted in another thread. I had a great time at D&D and only had minor issues with a couple of games--the majority played great. I submitted a more in depth review of D&D to PGJ that I hope will make it to publication--it is being reviewed for worthiness--we'll see if it makes the cut.

Quoted from Billy16:

Just happened to get back today from a weekend trip to T-Town with a (long) stop at D&D. I probably have not been to more than 20 arcades, but this is the best pinball-only arcade I have dropped a bunch of quarters at. The machines were all in great condition and the atmosphere was conductive to being able to concentrate on whatever pin you were playing at the time. There were so many good machines I did not have a problem finding one open that I wanted to play. Jane and Gary are very cool pinball people and they have really hit the mark with D&D. They did a super job selecting some really fun pins and obviously work hard at keeping them in good playing condition (with some help from their friends). I highly recommend a visit!

#24 10 years ago

Hi
This is Gary Dillahunty of D&D Pinball. I thought I might personally jump in here and respond. Absolutely none of this is out of anger so please don’t take it that way, something that is sometimes hard to convey in a post/email. I tend to get a little long-winded from time to time (ok, almost always) but please read the entire post.

Incognito did contact us through our email link yesterday afternoon with his praise and concerns, THANK YOU! So, one of our biggest issues we have come across at D&D is that people are so very nice and so appreciative that we are here bringing pinball to the community, rarely does anyone come to us to let us know that there is a problem with a machine. When they do, I think they feel like they are picking on us or being negative and are very hesitant to say anything.

Why don’t you stay on top of your own machines you say? I can truly say that since bringing our own private collection out to share with the rest of the world, we have never played less pinball in our lives. We are either working on machines, talking to pin loving customers or doing many, many things in the background. Many times when any of us make a repair during business hours we might have a chance to play one ball to make sure things are working correctly and move on to the next thing. Many times when we are making an on the spot repair, the person is there watching out of curiosity and ready to get back to their game ASAP.

In response to my own last paragraph, we and our volunteers are absolutely fanatics about doing our best to keep our pins in the absolute best playing condition we can. It truly drives any of us insane to walk up to a machine, play it and it is not working correctly which is usually how we find out, it's not working correctly.

Speaking of volunteers, WOW, we could not do what we are doing without them and we can’t thank them enough!

One of the things that we actually get a lot of praise on (through Facebook, our Wep-Page and email) is how responsive we are to issues. When someone tells us something is wrong, we drop everything and do what we can to fix it.

Our wonderful floor, we love our old warehouse setting but it does come with its difficulties and again, it comes back to the public helping us know what is not playing well. Tell us a pin isn’t level and we’ll fix it. The big rollup garage door, what a huge asset to D&D. Many of the new customers do not even know we are there but when they walk by a huge opening like that and look in to see 30+ pins, what a beautiful site.

The lighting, we’ve actually worked on that quite a bit and given it much thought but it is difficult to control from day to night. The same goes for the volume. We put quite a bit of thought to place which pin where and volume levels to get the best out of the audio but it is a difficult task.

One other thing we do is, we post our Pin Report on our Facebook page every week detailing any known issues with our pins so people know what to expect when they come down to play including our parts order and when we expect downed pin to be up and ready to play again.

FYI: The troops are already rallying this morning to get down there and fix the issues that were brought up.

As Lyonsden stated in one of his posts, we are doing the best we can to bring pinball to the community with the time we have available between our regular 40-50+ hour regular jobs during the week and running D&D every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We do this entirely for the love of pinball and the opportunity to donate much of what we make back into local charities. As we always say, a big thanks to everyone for supporting D&D (especially those awesome volunteers) and allowing us to bring pinball to masses the best we can.

Keep pinball fun and keep those Flippers Flippin’!
Gary Dillahunty
D&D Pinball

#25 10 years ago

Thanks, Gary and sorry for making you come out on a Sunday when it is so beautiful here (Oro Valley, today) and I am sure you had better things to do than respond to silly me.

Please, (and I don't think you are) do NOT take anything I say as a personal attack. I thoroughly love what you have done and I am, frankly, jealous that you have been able to do it.

I certainly meant no offense whatsoever, I only wanted to point some things out that would make your fabulous place a wee bit better.

I will say hello next time...although that might be a year now!

#26 10 years ago

Incognito

Absolutely no worries, my post was written completely in good spirts, the pinball gods would not allow it any other way. We are always open to constructive criticism, it helps us be a better place to play pinball.

I was planning on being down at D&D today anyway, it’s always a good day for pinball. Our awesome volunteers were actually down there before us today working on the pins you called out and checking the level on all of them to make sure we are back in prime condition.

You are correct, Tucson is beautiful, we were dressed in T-shirts today with the big garage door open with plenty of happy pinball players. We welcome your return next year although when you point out something that is in need of repair, you may find yourself with a level, nut-driver and a soldering iron in your hand

Thanks for your support and we look forward to you return ASAP!
Keep those flipper flipping'!
Gary

#27 10 years ago

This thread is boring, everyone is entirely too nice. Is this even PINSIDE?!

-Wes

p.s. DnD Pinball is pretty freaking great.

#28 10 years ago

D and D Pinball ...FTW!!!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

This thread is boring, everyone is entirely too nice. Is this even PINSIDE?!-Wesp.s. DnD Pinball is pretty freaking great.

ASU is gorgeous. See ya for the state championship. Pitty the cat.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

ASU is gorgeous. See ya for the state championship. Pitty the cat.

What state championship---women's wrestling? I don't think U of A has a team...

Bear Down!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

What state championship---women's wrestling? I don't think U of A has a team...Bear Down!

Pinball state championship is what I was referring to in post.

#32 10 years ago

My apologies, I guess I need to get out more...

1 year later
#33 9 years ago

My article on D&D pinball just hit issue #156 of PinGame Journal. I'm biased, but I thought it turned out pretty good! D&D is under new ownership and is evolving, if you have not been there in awhile you should check it out again, perhaps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/d-and-d-pinball-my-takeaway-the-great-not-so-good-and-the-ugly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.