(Topic ID: 105232)

Cyclopes Pinball EDIT: NOS Playfield Found!!!

By Ronnie1114

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Power supply.jpg
Power supply 2.jpg
2014-10-17 10.44.23.jpg
2014-08-23 23.29.52.jpg
GI.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG
0310151944e.jpg
0310151944d.jpg
0310151944c.jpg
0310151944b.jpg
0310151944a.jpg
0310151944.jpg
0310151934.jpg
0122151714.jpg
1204142200.jpg
1203141754e.jpg
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 9 years ago

Thanks! Pickup is delayed to this weekend. Stay tuned...

#152 9 years ago

OK, re-pinned the large GI connector on the driver board and put in new header pins. GI issues are solved and the GI is much brighter than before. Things that still need fixing:

No flash lamps
One GI bulb under the OPES targets isn't working
One of the yellow arrow insert bulbs isn't working

Other than those small things, she's in good shape.

2 weeks later
#153 9 years ago

Alright! Picked up playfield sunday and while its not NOS, she shore us purdy. Cleaned up real nice. Put her in and I am now getting 2 flashers! No backbox ones and no right playfield ones. Overall very happy with it. Cyclopes will be on free play at the Pin A Go Go for your playing pleasure. Pics soon!

#154 9 years ago

Wait.... Maybe I should have checked the bulbs. Haha, all the flashers are going strong. This thing induces seizures lol.

#155 9 years ago

Cyclopes eats flashers for breakfast. As much as I loathe LEDs I did buy some #89 flashers to replace the ones in the playfield and backbox.

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=994&categoryId=8

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Cyclopes eats flashers for breakfast. As much as I loathe LEDs I did buy some #89 flashers to replace the ones in the playfield and backbox.
http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=994&categoryId=8

Thanks for the tip, however are we sure that 89's are correct? The ones I took out were labeled GE 1155. I put 89's because that was all I had.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Thanks for the tip, however are we sure that 89's are correct? The ones I took out were labeled GE 1155. I put 89's because that was all I had.

Hmmm. Those might be a more robust version of the #89. I tried #89s and they lasted maybe a month. The LED flashers work fine and I left the warming resistors in.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Hmmm. Those might be a more robust version of the #89. I tried #89s and they lasted maybe a month. The LED flashers work fine and I left the warming resistors in.

Ill try both.

#159 9 years ago

I remember the flashers in my Andromeda burning out pretty quick. I had a pinbot and put 89's in the eyes and they burned out SUPER fast. Turned out the manual called for 1251's (which are not as bright).

Is there any chance you're supposed to use something like 1251's in the gameplan flash locations? I don't have any gameplan manuals handy.

#160 9 years ago

I checked the manual and it doesn't say (or at least I can't find it) what type flasher to use.

#161 9 years ago

The schematic for Andromeda calls for an 1155 lamp - 13.5v, 8w, .6a, Ba15s base. I've got to believe it's the same for Cyclopes - doubt they would have used something different.

viperrwk

#162 9 years ago

I have some 1251's ill try.

#163 9 years ago

I looked online and didnt see any of the ususal places that carried 1151's.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I looked online and didnt see any of the ususal places that carried 1151's.

http://www.bulbtown.com/1155_MINIATURE_BULB_BA15S_BASE_p/1155.htm

They are very similar to the #89 but the filament life is 5,000 hours compared to 750. So, I'd say they'd last much longer.

#165 9 years ago

Likely won't work - that's a 28v lamp.

viperrwk

#166 9 years ago

Here are the pics: And before you ask, I did fix the flipper alignment.

0310151934.jpg0310151934.jpg 0310151944.jpg0310151944.jpg 0310151944a.jpg0310151944a.jpg 0310151944b.jpg0310151944b.jpg 0310151944c.jpg0310151944c.jpg 0310151944d.jpg0310151944d.jpg 0310151944e.jpg0310151944e.jpg
#167 9 years ago

Okay, I lost the GI again, flashers work fine. Volume knob and side rails seem to be giving me a shock.... idk whats going on here.

#168 9 years ago

Did you lose all the GI or just the playfield GI? Did you try swapping the relays on the solenoid board? Did you check the GI connector from the transformer to the backbox?

viperrwk

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Did you lose all the GI or just the playfield GI? Did you try swapping the relays on the solenoid board? Did you check the GI connector from the transformer to the backbox?
viperrwk

Only Playfied GI, I rrepinned and put new header pins on thw GI cconnector a couple of weeks ago. If I wiggle it around while the game is on, nothing happens. I hear the realy going in the back and and I have swapped it around before.

#171 9 years ago

Did the pf gi on the NEW playfield ever work?

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from noahpdavis:

Did the pf gi on the NEW playfield ever work?

Yeah, just fine.

#173 9 years ago

Since your old playfield had a problem I'd look at the areas the playfield GI runs through specifically on the SDU (header/connector) and backbox interconnect from the playfield back to the SDU. I'm guessing it's in one of those two places.

viperrwk

#174 9 years ago

On andromeda is was the black/yellow wire for GI. I had to rebuild/pin both the in/out connections on the SDU and power supply

#175 9 years ago

I had already re done both the connector and the pins for the GI. I measured, and im not getting any voltage at the connector for the GI.

#177 9 years ago

I'm guessing the problem is in your J15 connector on the PS. Your original was hacked and I'm guessing that you did not repin the connector well enough when you swapped in the new PS from Sharpshooter. There's nothing to the GI circuit really - AC from the transformer, out to the playfield and backbox, wired through the SDU to flash it on and off, back to the PS on the return. There's no logic circuit involved, you tested the relay it was good. You simply have to follow the electricity every step past every connector and where it drops out that's where your problem is.

viperrwk

#178 9 years ago

Redid the connector, still no GI. Even If I wiggle around any of the connectors that the GI wire goes through I still get nothing.

#179 9 years ago

You have to now see where the electricity is stopping.

Pull the connector at J15 on the power supply.

Meter on AC.

One lead on J15 pin 2. Other lead on pin 6. You should get ~6.3VAC.
Repeat on pins 3 and 7, then 4 and 8.
If you don't get this the problem is with the power supply board.

If you do, plug J15 back in. Trace the wires from those pins to see where they go next. Pins 2 & 3 go to the white connector between the playfield and backbox. Pins 6, 7 and 8 likely go to J3 pin 12 on the SDU board though the schematics are not clear and I don't have a Cyclopes to confirm. Wherever those wires go, unplug them at the next connectors and test again for AC. Repeat this process every step of the way until you have checked every connector in the circuit. You will find the problem this way.

viperrwk

#180 9 years ago

Ok, when I put my DMM on pins 2 and 6, I got like .002. So I lost the voltage.

#181 9 years ago

Assuming the fuse is good and you have backbox GI working there's a problem with the PS board and the traces to the J15 connector. Only thing you can do is pull it and repair it.

viperrwk

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Assuming the fuse is good and you have backbox GI working there's a problem with the PS board and the traces to the J15 connector. Only thing you can do is pull it and repair it.
viperrwk

Will do!

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

viperrwk

Threw in a new cap, didn't fix it but was probably a good thing anyways. What exactly am I looking for on the PS board that would cause the GI to stop? Thanks for all your help with all of this!

#184 9 years ago

The 6.3VAC comes from the transformer on a green/white wire, through the 20A fuse to the connector you measured voltage on.

I'd be looking for a broken or burned trace. Run continuity on the supply and return GI traces from the transformer all the way to the connector. Look at the schematic as there are multiple traces that connect to other pins to feed the different strings on the playfield and backbox.

4 weeks later
#185 9 years ago

So I tried my best to read the schematic to find where the 6.3 VAC goes to and I did manage to check continuity at a few of the pins on one of the connectors and it read fine. Soo, I redid the connectors and reflowed solder to the pins on the connectors that are circled below. No change, I might need some hand holding here, still not super great at fixing these things yet. Haha And I also put on a new big capacitor.

Power supply 2.jpgPower supply 2.jpg
Power supply.jpgPower supply.jpg

#186 9 years ago

That cap is only there to filter the +12V and +5V.

There are other connectors associated with the GI. Look at the 12 or so connectors at the bottom of the head. There should be an all white one that carries GI and power to the flippers. Chances are those pins may be burned as well. Pull it apart and look at the black/brown and blue/white wire pins and see if there is an issue.

Also the return GI lines are on a black/brown and white/black wire that goes to another connector. I'd check those too (not sure where that connector is located). I'd look at the wires on the string that's not working and chase them from the playfield through the cabinet through the connectors to the backbox to the power supply board. The GI is the simplest circuit in any game but the one that causes the most problems and headaches.

#187 9 years ago

Yes - I believe you'll see GI returns (black/brown) going in/out of the solenoid driver board where the relay is that switches it on/off. I had to rebuild them on my Adnromeda -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39156535@N03/7310255518/

#188 9 years ago

Ah yes that connector is on the solenoid driver board. I forgot about that. Check the pins there too. There are two relays on the solenoid driver board as well. One for the flipper enable and the other for the GI. Make sure the relays are pushed all the way in. There should be some metal straps holding them in to keep them from loosening.

#189 9 years ago

All connectors are nice and white. Connector J1 on the Solenoid driver board was toasty when I got the game. Putting on a new connector and new pins fixed the original GI problem. I then put a new populated playfeild in. The GI was fine for about a week. Then it started flickering and then finally went out and never came back on.

#191 9 years ago

Check the AC voltage at pins 3 & 7 and pins 4 & 8 on J15. Let us know what you get. It also would be a good idea to post a pic of the back side of your PS board.

viperrwk

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Check the AC voltage at pins 3 & 7 and pins 4 & 8 on J15. Let us know what you get. It also would be a good idea to post a pic of the back side of your PS board.
viperrwk

On it!

3 weeks later
#193 8 years ago

Huge thanks to Ronnie for comin' through with Cyclopes this afternoon on his way home form PAGG. He'd promised it to me what seems like a year ago, and delivered - thanks again man! I can finally close my ancient WTB thread.

So first order of business is digging into this GI problem. I've got good AC voltage on the power supply all the way down to the white connector between the backbox/playfield.

With that connector disconnected, I have good voltage across the pins on the backbox side (male). When I connect it to the playfield side (female), the voltage goes away completely. I've checked this in real time with my meter seeing voltage on the male side and vanishing when I plug it in. I've checked continuity with the connector connected and everything buzzes nice and strong, so I don't think it's actually the connector.

Backbox GI is fine. feature lamps are fine

I tugged twisted just about all the GI sockets on the playfield. What should I check next?

Psyched to see it all lit up soon (hopefully).

IMG_3252.JPGIMG_3252.JPG
#194 8 years ago

When I played it at PAGG,
i did not even notice it had GI problems,
as it was a blast to play,
loved the flashing eyes effect on the BG.
thanks for bringing the game
and good to know it has a new home in Oregon,
fairly close by.

#195 8 years ago

I'd check the solenoid driver board pins where the GI enters and goes through the relay and back out first. I think there are two GI strings that go thru the relay. The other relay is for the flipper enable; so make sure you are checking the correct relay. Do continuity tests of the traces and contacts on the relay. Make sure the relay energizes/de-energizes in the solenoid tests.

If the problem isn't there, then I'd make two test leads each of a single connector and long wire. Disconnect all the GI connectors on the power supply board and plug the test leads for the GI supply and GI return pins on the header. Then connect the other end of the test leads to the GI strings under the playfield. Basically, going directly from the power supply to the GI strings, bypassing relays and connectors.

Then start moving the test leads back towards the power supply until it doesn't work. Then look for what could be the issue. GI braid touching metal, broken GI wire in a harness, bad trace on the SDB, non-working GI relay, etc.

#196 8 years ago

Also, that white connector you took a picture of, make sure the wires on both sides match. Someone may have moved a wire. Check the wire colors. The blue/white wire looks like some insulation is cut as I can see the conductors. What is the white tape around that black/yellow wire?

#197 8 years ago

Thanks - that did it! After buzzing out the line from the black/brn wire on the driver board to the relay and back out, I noticed a slightly "grey" header pin/connector pin on the upper right connector. Reflowed the header pin and replaced w/ a trifercon and it's looking great!

GI.JPGGI.JPG
#198 8 years ago
Quoted from noahpdavis:

Thanks - that did it! After buzzing out the line from the black/brn wire on the driver board to the relay and back out, I noticed a slightly "grey" header pin/connector pin on the upper right connector. Reflowed the header pin and replaced w/ a trifercon and it's looking great!

Awesome! I figured it was probably on that solenoid driver board. I'm sure Ronnie want's it back now? LOL.

Looks like mine now...

2014-08-23 23.29.52.jpg2014-08-23 23.29.52.jpg

#199 8 years ago

He's too busy playing his new Devils Dare and Hot Doggin' and Excalibur and ??? - ha.

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Looks like mine now...

Looks like someone needs to regrain their lockdown bar!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclopes-pinball-shop-out-restoration-thread/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.