(Topic ID: 105232)

Cyclopes Pinball EDIT: NOS Playfield Found!!!

By Ronnie1114

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Power supply.jpg
Power supply 2.jpg
2014-10-17 10.44.23.jpg
2014-08-23 23.29.52.jpg
GI.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG
0310151944e.jpg
0310151944d.jpg
0310151944c.jpg
0310151944b.jpg
0310151944a.jpg
0310151944.jpg
0310151934.jpg
0122151714.jpg
1204142200.jpg
1203141754e.jpg
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 9 years ago

Small update: So I was fiddling around with the MPU and I pressed the red test button on the MPU after I got flash #1. When I did this, I got either 5 or 6 flashes. When this happened, I had all the connectors but J1 unplugged as not to burn anything up, so I couldn't tell if it booted all the way. I then plugged everything in with the machine off. Now, when I press the red test button nothing happens. Progress is being made little by little.

#102 9 years ago

Unplugged everything again and pressed button. Got no more flashes after the 1st one.

#103 9 years ago

IT LIVESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reseated U20 and BAM 6 flashes and full boot up. Now, once it fully boots I get the relay click and the bell. The displays seem to be doing the right thing, switching from 9999992 to 0. I get no GI, but that's cause I have that connector unplugged. I can coin up and I get the noise and the credits show up on the display but I cannot start a game. The only computer controlled light that I get is the "shoot again" eyeball in the middle of the playfield. I cycled through the settings with the top button on the coin door. I did not however press the lower one. Thanks to everyone who helped out with this big learning experience. Especially viperrwk, could not have come close to getting this beast working without your expertise. Thanks so much

#105 9 years ago

Plugged in what I thought was the GI connector and now I get all solenoids, and insert lights. Still cant start a game hmmmmmmmm. Checked the obvious, outhole switches and start button switch. All seemed well. Got er into test mode and all solenoids seemed to be working. Super Excited!!!!!!!!

#106 9 years ago

Lookin' good man!

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Still cant start a game hmmmmmmmm

Have balls in it? I don't know this manu but my Black Knight and Black Hole won't start a game if it can't find the ball.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Have balls in it? I don't know this manu but my Black Knight and Black Hole won't start a game if it can't find the ball.

Yes it does. My fireball 2 wont boot without the balls.

#109 9 years ago

Big update: All is woking and the game is playing great! The GI is kinda flakey and sometimes doesnt turn on every once and a while. The only things that dont work are the flashers. Game plays great. Stole some rubbers from my fireball 2 plays and looks great!

#110 9 years ago

LOVE THIS GAME!!

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

LOVE THIS GAME!!

Its very unique, Game Plans best playing. One can only think what might have happened if they didnt go under.

#113 9 years ago

New problem, does this when I turn the game on
Cyclopes pinball problem:

1 month later
#114 9 years ago

Alright, Time for an update. Sent the MPU back to Viperrwk and turns out a ram had gone bad after he had repaired the board the first time, crazy! Anywho, board is shipped back and I'm counting the minutes. Viperrwk is a great guy and does excellent work.

#115 9 years ago

OK, board showed up, threw her in and Cyclopes came to life once again. However, now I get no solenoids. The fuse under playfield was blown but I replaced it with a 3A slow blow and the new one didn't blow. Connections on the solenoids are good, connections on the driver and mpu board are good. Any help is appreciated.

#116 9 years ago

Connector FTW!

#117 9 years ago

Yup, the solenoid problem was a connector that I had tucked behind a wire loom to get out of the way. I didn't see this and thus with no connector; no solenoids. The GI issue has been solved as well. Noah helped me identify the GI connector which as luck has it is a little toasty. Still not getting any flashers...

#118 9 years ago

On the flasher issue, are they daisy chained? I ask this because one of the sockets is empty as the area around it is burnt everywhere.

#119 9 years ago

Which flashers are not working? If it's all of them then you have to suspect the feed wire which comes from the bottom bumper (according to the schematic).

I'm assuming the solenoids are all working now...

viperrwk

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Which flashers are not working? If it's all of them then you have to suspect the feed wire which comes from the bottom bumper (according to the schematic).
I'm assuming the solenoids are all working now...
viperrwk

All solenoids are good. Yes, none of the flashers are working. By bottom bumper do you mean Pop Bumper? Thanks again for your massive amounts of help.

#121 9 years ago

Yes bottom pop bumper - power is chained from there to the flashers. Wire comes from the banded side of the coil on the bumper. The two Fire flashers are controlled by Q5, the blue target flasher by Q4 and the yellow target flashers by Q7.

viperrwk

#123 9 years ago

Looked at the coil no broken wires there, then looked at all the individual resistors and no broken wires there either.

#124 9 years ago

Check for continuity from the pop bumper coil to the flash lamps. Install known good lamps and check for continuity across the sockets. Check for power at the sockets. Check the connector between the backbox and head.

viperrwk

#125 9 years ago

Could this be the culprit?

0122151714.jpg0122151714.jpg
#126 9 years ago

Possibly. The schematic shows a resistor on each lamp so one resistor taking out all the lamps seems unlikely. But you do have cut wires there - you have to trace the wiring and see if it corresponds to the schematic.

viperrwk

#127 9 years ago

Put a new wire on and didn't change anything. Tried to trace the wire but kept losing it. My meter doesn't have continuity.

#128 9 years ago

You would be better off getting a meter with audible continuity test. You need to verify continuity from the banded side of the lower pop bumper coil to one side of each flash lamp. Each flash lamp should have the same color wire on one side of the socket but each should have a different color on the other side. Since one flash lamp locked on previously, it is possible that the power wire melted and broke the connection preventing all of them from getting power.

viperrwk

#129 9 years ago

Best to first get a meter with continuity. That's an invaluable tool to have...like owning a pinball machine and not having a Philips screwdriver and 1/4" nut driver.

If you need me to look at anything or send pictures of my Cyclopes LMK.

I found that this game eats #89 flashlamps for breakfast. As much of an anti LED guy that I am (and all my friends can attest) I had to go with some superbright #89 LED flashers (warmwhite) in all 8 spots. I left the warming resistors in. They don't affect the LED flashers at all.

I do know there are two strings of flashers that are each controlled by a TIP transistor on the solenoid driver board. Go through the solenoid tests and make sure they work there first.

#130 9 years ago

Ill look into a new meter. Thanks for the info guys. Ill check those transistors when I get home.

3 weeks later
#131 9 years ago

Well, looks like I found a NOS populated playfield nearby. So another chapter begins. Ill hopefully pick her up this weekend... Fingers crossed.

#132 9 years ago

Woot! Just confirmed with seller, Picking up the playfield on Monday. Cant Wait!!!

#133 9 years ago

Awesome find! any chance the seller had a second one?

#134 9 years ago

Unbelievable!

#135 9 years ago

Wow! How rare is a NOS populated PF for that game?

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Awesome find! any chance the seller had a second one?

That would be sick. Doubtful, but I will check for you.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Wow! How rare is a NOS populated PF for that game?

No idea, but to fond both the game and PF in the same city is crazy. The pinball gods are shining upon me.

#138 9 years ago

That's amazing. How's the gameplay? What would you compare it to?

#139 9 years ago

Awesome score!

#140 9 years ago

You owe my brother for sniffing that out for you

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

That's amazing. How's the gameplay? What would you compare it to?

Game is fun as hell VERY unique layout. Genius rules, like crazy rules. I will give anyone $100 if they can max out the monster bonus. Even with the glass off, it takes a couple of minutes to do it. Hmmmmmmm.... what to compare it to. Not sure, haven't played enough different games.

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

You owe my brother for sniffing that out for you

Yeah, both you and Bryce jumped on the orig. CL listing, but the playfield was all me. I owe both of you for various things.

#143 9 years ago

Thanks! Stoked, if the scheduling lines up, Hopefully this will make it to both PAGG and the PNW show.

#144 9 years ago

You should have that NOS playfield scanned before you booger it up!

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You should have that NOS playfield scanned before you booger it up!

And potentially cleared as well (though that would require stripping it).

viperrwk

#146 9 years ago

How does one go about scanning a playfield?

#147 9 years ago

You can call around for whatever print shop in town has a Cruse Scanner.

#148 9 years ago

Gonna be tough to scan a populated pf

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from noahpdavis:

Gonna be tough to scan a populated pf

I can tear down the top of it pretty easy.

#150 9 years ago

now this is an interesting one, cant wait to see the end product

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclopes-pinball-shop-out-restoration-thread/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.