(Topic ID: 105232)

Cyclopes Pinball EDIT: NOS Playfield Found!!!

By Ronnie1114

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Power supply.jpg
Power supply 2.jpg
2014-10-17 10.44.23.jpg
2014-08-23 23.29.52.jpg
GI.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG
0310151944e.jpg
0310151944d.jpg
0310151944c.jpg
0310151944b.jpg
0310151944a.jpg
0310151944.jpg
0310151934.jpg
0122151714.jpg
1204142200.jpg
1203141754e.jpg
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Had my friend come over and take down notes for all the drop and stand up target decals. Hopefully, she will get back to me soon and the target decals come out great. Any suggestions on the bridge rectifier readings?

Are you sure you're using the diode setting on your meter and not the resistance setting? The 1235, 707 and 101 are more like resistance readings than diode voltage readings, especially the last two (given the resistors wired across those bridges). If it's diode, at 1235 bridge 1 is showing open and they usually short to ground.

Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Something got a little toasty

There are four solenoid controlled lamps on Cyclopes. One behind the "yellow" targets controlled by Q7, one behind the "blue" targets controlled by Q4 and then two "fire" lamps controlled by Q5. I believe this is one of those lamps and if locked on and burned then you have to check Q5 on the SDU.

viperrwk

#52 9 years ago

So I went online and looked at pictures. Turns out that while I was in diode mode, my leads were plugged in wrong. I'll take new readings asap.

#53 9 years ago

Did it again and got same results. Here is what my tester looks like.

1008140808.jpg1008140808.jpg
#54 9 years ago

Well, can't say how that HF meter is supposed to work but I'm going to say that the 7 & 24v bridges are probably fine from your readings. The 5/12 may not be good given the open reading you're getting from positive to negative. The large filter cap could also be bad (high ESR) giving you a bad reading. Cut the zipties, unscrew the terminals and remove the large filter cap - that takes it out of the circuit and you should get normal readings on the bridge if it's ok. If you do, replace the large cap. If not, replace the bridge.

viperrwk

#56 9 years ago

First one - should just screw in after removing the old one and one zip tie to secure it.

viperrwk

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

First one - should just screw in after removing the old one and one zip tie to secure it.
viperrwk

Cool. The less soldering, the better.

#58 9 years ago

Thanks for all your help BTW.

#59 9 years ago

Values after I took the capacitor off:

BR1: 498, 1247, 498
BR2: 479, 708, 500
BR3: 502, 102, 501

#60 9 years ago

Should I get a new voltage regulator? Is that what's causing the sparks?

#61 9 years ago

I would get a new bridge for the 5/12v line first and then get a new connector on J1 and clean up the power board and make sure nothing is shorting. Once you do that you can plug it in and test the output of the LM323 to see if you're getting 5v. At that point if you're not, you'll have to replace the regulator as well. Since you smoked it you may also need new caps and the diode that's up there. Looks like your meter might test capacitors as well - you'll have to dig out the manual and see if that's the case. You can always just shotgun it all to be on the safe side if you're unsure of your measurements or have someone come in to help you.

viperrwk

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Should I get a new voltage regulator? Is that what's causing the sparks?

Is that where your sparks came from? BTW, the blue things on the voltage regulator are not hacks but tantalum caps and are supposed to be there. There should also be a 1N4004 diode in there too.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Is that where your sparks came from? BTW, the blue things on the voltage regulator are not hacks but tantalum caps and are supposed to be there. There should also be a 1N4004 diode in there too.

The tantalum capacitors are where the sparks and smoke came from. I don't know if the voltage regulator is bad now.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I would get a new bridge for the 5/12v line first and then get a new connector on J1 and clean up the power board and make sure nothing is shorting. Once you do that you can plug it in and test the output of the LM323 to see if you're getting 5v. At that point if you're not, you'll have to replace the regulator as well. Since you smoked it you may also need new caps and the diode that's up there. Looks like your meter might test capacitors as well - you'll have to dig out the manual and see if that's the case. You can always just shotgun it all to be on the safe side if you're unsure of your measurements or have someone come in to help you.
viperrwk

What kind of bridge do I need? They done have any labeling that I can see. Also, which one is the 5/12v one?

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

What kind of bridge do I need? They done have any labeling that I can see. Also, which one is the 5/12v one?

Just a standard bridge. I think 400V, 35A

The one at the bottom closest to the transformer.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Just a standard bridge. I think 400V, 35A
The one at the bottom closest to the transformer.

And make sure you get one with lug leads and not wire leads so you have something to solder to.

viperrwk

#67 9 years ago

Anyone have a good source for a voltage regulator?

#70 9 years ago

Nevermind. I'm stupid. Found them.

1 week later
#71 9 years ago

UPDATE: Parts came today, replaced the large capacitor, 5V regulator, and the bridge closest to the transformer. I no longer get any sparks/smoke at start up... good news! Now, the LED on the MPU does not light up at all. The LED on the sound board however, flashes rapidly for a few seconds and then glows dimly. Also, the upper right kick out hole comes on for a sec like it should when the game is turned on.

#74 9 years ago

If and when you get your Cyclopes up and running and then after 6 months grow tired of it, maybe we can work out a trade or a shared custoday swap for my Game Plan Andromeda.

#75 9 years ago

if you ever need a new or spare Game Plan MPU check out these guys
<<<<<<....................................................
Just wanted to let you all know that we now have BRAND NEW Game Plan MPU boards available. It's form, fit, and function identical to the original and will work with ANY Game Plan pinball (both upright and cocktail models).
For additional information and/or to place an order, please call us.
Thanks!
-Jim Francesangeli
Echo Lake Pinball Service & Sales
925 Marwin Dr.
Hinckley, Ohio 44233
tel: 330-278-2228
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:44:36 AM by sharpshooter0_2 »
.........................................................>>>>>>>>

#76 9 years ago

Cool to see you're makin' progress!

#77 9 years ago

I think it might still be a power supply issue. After a bit, I smelt smoke so I unplugged the machine. Anyone here want to rebuild mine? Or maybe have an entire new one for sale for less than what K's arcade sells them for? Also, when I pressed the little red button on the sound board I did get all of the sounds. Scared me lol. Tired coining up and got nothing. That is when I noticed the smoke and smelt it coming from the power supply. So then I unplugged it. Not quite sure where to go from here. Don't really thing its an issue with the MPU as that doesn't have any battery damage or anything.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

If and when you get your Cyclopes up and running and then after 6 months grow tired of it, maybe we can work out a trade or a shared custoday swap for my Game Plan Andromeda.

There might be something here. Would love an Andromeda too, a temp trade might work.

#79 9 years ago

My Andromeda is still in storage in Bakersfield Ca, as is the majority of my collection;
but hope to get the remaining pins up to Oregon in next 3-6 months.
Richland WA appears to be about 4 hr drive from Salem OR, so temp shared custody swap
is feasible.
Best of luck with your restore/shop job.

#80 9 years ago

Here are some up close pictures of the PS board that look suspect to me. The more I look it, the less it seems likely that I personally could get this done. This board has seen a hard life and I'm not great at board work.

1018141434a.jpg1018141434a.jpg 1018141434b.jpg1018141434b.jpg 1018141434c.jpg1018141434c.jpg 1018141435.jpg1018141435.jpg 1018141435a.jpg1018141435a.jpg 1018141435b.jpg1018141435b.jpg 1018141435c.jpg1018141435c.jpg
#81 9 years ago

UPDATE: Parts came today so I got some work done. Installed new tantalum capacitors and re-did the trashed GI connector as well an another burnt up one. Flipped the game on and it immediately blew the solenoid fuse and then a few seconds later it blew the GI fuse. It had not blown either of these fuses before today.

#82 9 years ago

Didn't notice anything different with the MPU flashes but wasn't really paying attention to that

#83 9 years ago

Did you disconnect all the connectors from the board and test the voltages at the test poins first? Something is shorting on the GI as indicated by the burning on the PS board. Until you find what that is you will likely continue to blow that fuse.

And did you blow the fuse on the PS or the under playfield fuse for the solenoids?

viperrwk

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Did you disconnect all the connectors from the board and test the voltages at the test poins first? Something is shorting on the GI as indicated by the burning on the PS board. Until you find what that is you will likely continue to blow that fuse.
And did you blow the fuse on the PS or the under playfield fuse for the solenoids?
viperrwk

The fuse on the power supply

2 weeks later
#85 9 years ago

Ok, I got a new used PS board that is MUCH cleaner than mine. I left the GI connector unplugged so it wouldn't blow the fuse and........ nothing. Lol. But nothing blew or smoked so forward progress. Sound board still working alright. Still not getting any flashes on the MPU. Thinking now might be an MPU issue...

#86 9 years ago

Did you test the voltages on the power supply?

viperrwk

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Did you test the voltages on the power supply?
viperrwk

I looked for the loops but the only one I found was ground...

#88 9 years ago

There is only a loop for ground. The rest are pads. Hook your ground lead from the meter with an alligator clip to the ground loop then hit the test points as outlined below:

Game Plan Power Supply Test PointsGame Plan Power Supply Test Points

The 7, 12 and 24v readings can be high or low since they are not regulated. The 5v reading needs to be close because it is regulated.

If they check out hook up the wires to the PS and hook only J1 on the MPU board and turn the machine on. Hook your ground to the loop at TP7 (below the third bank of DIP switches from the left).

Check for 5v at TP1 (right above the J1 connector) and 12v at TP2 (between U19 and U20). If you have 5 & 12 v at these test points and no flashes, your MPU is dead.

viperrwk

1 week later
#89 9 years ago

Voltages:
TP1: 14V
TP2: 5V
TP3: 9.2v
TP4: 29.5V

#90 9 years ago

Those are ok. If you get no flashes on the MPU and voltages check out there MPU is dead.

viperrwk

#91 9 years ago

I bet you are learning a lot huh Ronnie? Hope it's not too daunting. Nice to see you are making progress!

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

I bet you are learning a lot huh Ronnie? Hope it's not too daunting. Nice to see you are making progress!

Def learning, kinda daunting looks like viper is gonna have to repair my board. Luckily its very clean. Thanks for all the help everyone, especially Viper

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Those are ok. If you get no flashes on the MPU and voltages check out there MPU is dead.
viperrwk

Pm sent

2 weeks later
#94 9 years ago

Board is just about done, thanks Viperrwk.

#95 9 years ago

All shined up. Still need some rubbers and balls. An order to Pinball Life is in order.

1203141754.jpg1203141754.jpg 1203141754a.jpg1203141754a.jpg 1203141754b.jpg1203141754b.jpg 1203141754c.jpg1203141754c.jpg 1203141754d.jpg1203141754d.jpg 1203141754e.jpg1203141754e.jpg
#96 9 years ago

So jealous! Looks great!
Post a video once you have it all up and running.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

So jealous! Looks great!
Post a video once you have it all up and running.

Ill try to

#98 9 years ago

Board showed up from viperrwk... getting 1 flash. Probably something stupid that I'm doing.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Board showed up from viperrwk... getting 1 flash. Probably something stupid that I'm doing.

What is your voltage at J1 pin 3? You can also try reseating all socketed chips as they may not have liked the trip.

viperrwk

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

What is your voltage at J1 pin 3? You can also try reseating all socketed chips as they may not have liked the trip.
viperrwk

Reseated everything... nothing. Voltage at J1 pin 3 was 29.2V

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclopes-pinball-shop-out-restoration-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.