(Topic ID: 11721)

Cyclone/Dr.Who Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.....

By BrianZ

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by rockstar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

All right Pinside, I got a line on a Cyclone in very good condition for $1400. Deciding between that and a Dr.Who for $1450 (some fading on the box, the rest they claim works and in good condition).

Thoughts on which one? And price?

#2 12 years ago

The Cyclone better be darn near CG for $1400. And I hate price police!

Assuming DW is as described, it looks like the better deal, and a slightly better pin, too IMO

TG

#3 12 years ago

I agree with TG. That's quite high for the Cyclone unless it's mint.

#4 12 years ago
#5 12 years ago

I totally love my cyclone. Just so much fun. I love the progressive jackpot too, which is hard to hit. I paid $1000 for a nice example. $1400 sounds way too much, unless it is really close to mint with GREAT looking ramps on it. (make sure to check the spook house ramp under the pf too).

Haven't played DW, however I hear it's a great game. My guess is it's much more advanced than cyclone. Whether it's more fun or not, i don't know.

#6 12 years ago

what i needed to know..Thanks. Will keep u posted.

#7 12 years ago

DW of course

#8 12 years ago

My suggestion? Decide on the pin first, then pay fair market value. Don't let these prices swing your direction too much. It's not like the asking price for Cyclone is absurd. If you pay $100-$200 more than the fair market value for your first choice, it will be worth it.

#9 12 years ago

Have you played a DW? It's a love it or hate it kinda pin. I definitely love mine, but having never played Cyclone I don't feel like I'm qualified to make a recommendation between the two.

#10 12 years ago
#11 12 years ago

umm cyclone doesn't sell much cheaper than that, maybe $1,200, but that game is highly sought after and is a very good game.

DW would be my choice though. Hell, I would take DW over any WPC95.

#13 12 years ago

Ive been seeing a lot of cyclones coming thru between 1000-1200 range.

Rockstar makes a great point though... don't let a few hundred sway you too much. Go with the pin you like to play.

#14 12 years ago

I like Dr Who. the time expander is such a cool toy. You hit the center targets similarly to Pinbot to get the expander to raise. You can pick different rules at the start of the game by picking a different DR. The DW is a good price, the Cyclone is a bit over priced. I would pay 1200 on the high end for a cyclone.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from rockstar:

If you pay $100-$200 more than the fair market value for your first choice, it will be worth it.

I also agree with THIS. I hate giving that advice (though I don't know why??). It is actually how I buy my games. I am not wealthy by any means but I don't mind paying top dollar to get the title I want, either.

I should have added that to my original post. Sorry.

#16 12 years ago

Get both.

#17 12 years ago

Ha! My wife now thanks this is a horrid disease. I'm barely squeaking buy now. I've decided on Cyclone. Hopefully will be viewing and seeing this weekend. Why Cyclone? Cause the wife saw DW and absoultely hated it.

The machine is being described as near mint....So we will see.

And just 5 minutes ago, I saw a Whirlwind here in Houston being adv on CL for 600. Apparently doesnt work right, but the cab and playfiled look great. I'm so tempted, but if i even breath this to the signifigant other I might be a dead man.....

I'll post some pics as soon as i pick it up. Really appreciate the support and prespectives from the PINSIDE crew....

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

I saw a Whirlwind here in Houston being adv on CL for 600.

Buy it right now. That is a great price.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

BrianZ said:I saw a Whirlwind here in Houston being adv on CL for 600.

Buy it right now. That is a great price.

+1

#20 12 years ago

Sounds great Brian! I think you'll be happy with Cyclone. My wife basically despises pinball, but she'll play a game or two of Cyclone if I bug her.

Things to look for when buying (besides the normal fuzzy batteries and burnt connectors):
1.Ramps. These are basically impossible to replace, so make sure all ramps look good and don't have cracks. MAKE SURE TO POP UP THE GAME AND CHECK THE SPOOK HOUSE RAMP TOO.
2. Make sure the backglass wheel works right. It's triggered by getting the ball into the spook house.
3. Check the ferris wheel runs smoothly. Not too big an issue as there are replacement motors and belts.

I'm actually excited for you. Such a fun game.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Cause the wife saw DW and absoultely hated it.

Didn't even give it a play? Makes me almost glad my wife does not play often and that I don't need to consult her on which pins to buy. Good luck with the search!

#22 12 years ago

Wow Dr. Who all day long if the Cyclone is that much!! Even if it wasn't Dr. Who is the much better game and I like Cyclone a lot.

#23 12 years ago

yeah,. I just missed the whirlwind.. I decided to go forward and snatched but missed it.

#24 12 years ago

Congrats. Cyclone was my first pin 12 years ago. Still a great game. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer, either during or after purchase.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 110.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclonedrwho-decisions-decisions-decisions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.