Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ps (resized).jpg
1510922528402-822807365 (resized).jpg
1510922494800830492569 (resized).jpg
15109224273491172729058 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Disclaimer: First posting, newbie, beatings and trash talk will be accepted and tolerated...thick skin, broad shoulders. Here we go:

Picked up the game a year ago, all was good, flipped the switch one day, music played, and the message "U41 PIA Failure" appeared. Display went blank, message popped up, repeat. Ordered a new chip and socket from Marcos, decided not to tackle chip replacement, went to a retired electrical engineer, and he went through the board, replaced the parts, plugged everything in. Turned on the machine, music played, the display was scrambled letters (if that's what you want to call them), display went blank, scrambled letters, repeat.

I know ask for your thoughts, comments, snickers and suggestions. I have asked others with games and experience, and the response is "huh, weird." Not what I wanted when talking about "my girl".

Thank you all in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Did you ever check voltage from the power supply?

#3 6 years ago

I didn't but will hopefully have a moment tomorrow. I'll be back and report.

#4 6 years ago

Checked the TP. 3 was 12.6, 2 fluctuated, but landed 4-4.5, & TP 4 was 14+.

#5 6 years ago

This is your problem, there was nothing wrong with the CPU. Post a pic of your power supply.

#6 6 years ago

Hmmm, well, I said I was new! Ok, this is good and bad, but I'm in this for the long haul. Pics attached. Used a little different lighting in each in case something shows up differently. I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks for your interest in this.

15109224273491172729058 (resized).jpg15109224273491172729058 (resized).jpg

1510922494800830492569 (resized).jpg1510922494800830492569 (resized).jpg

1510922528402-822807365 (resized).jpg1510922528402-822807365 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

If the 5v is low, replace C7, a 100uF 25v cap. This guy in the photo below. Best to use a 105C cap since it is subjected to heat from the heatsink. Cap can be higher rated than 25v.

ps (resized).jpgps (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

I knew I should've listened more in my electronics classes in college, but Nooooo, I went mechanical!! Anyway, I will get on it. Brings up my next thought and you can all weigh in on spending my $. If you were putting together a small "kit" of parts so I don't get into the loop of "have a problem, order a part, wait, put in the part, find another issue, repeat." Might be too broad of a question, but I think there are more pins in my future and I'd rather be prepared.

Side note, I'm the guy that has more doubles of other tools (power or hand) then someone should have. Between home and a metal fab business, it's a little silly!!

Thanks for input and look forward to more.

#9 6 years ago

Well what you have there is a nice unmolested original power supply that should have been rebuilt 10 years ago.

Quoted from stangbat:If the 5v is low, replace C7

This is correct but this will not remove the A/C ripple from the DC voltages, you need to replace all the electrolytic caps and the diodes at a bare minimum.

Now as for parts to have on hand, 50 1n4007 diodes, 5 2n4401 transistors, 5 TIP 102 transistors, 1 TIP 36a transistor, a set of fuses, and 4 9 pin IDC connectors and a IDC punch tool.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is correct but this will not remove the A/C ripple from the DC voltages, you need to replace all the electrolytic caps and the diodes at a bare minimum.

Was this identified as a problem? If so, replace. If not, why send someone down this road?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

If not, why send someone down this road?

Because of the age of this power supply I am sure there will be a lot of A/C voltage on the DC supply voltages which in turn will cause many many parts failures down the road if he continues to use a bad power supply. If you are on a budget and only want to do the bare minimum of repairs to a pin.

1. Rebuild the power supply.
2. Use a remote battery holder located by the coin door.

Total cost less than 50.00 dollars.

#12 6 years ago

If I wanted to get the machine up and running, and look at fixing the power supply later, what about replacing with a aftermarket? Now, I want this as original as I can, BUT I also want to play. A thought might be to get a new supply, from what i've read, plug and play, but I am only going from reading, not experience, then fix the original and swap back out at a later time. That way, I will have a chance to set up my repair bench properly and do it right the first time. Just a thought, but you've been kind enough to offer advice and I appreciate it. I am making notes since either way, it will be repaired. Also glad that someone hasn't hacked into this thing.

A little about this title, I bought this last year after 15 years of searching. When I had the $, they weren't around, when I was broke, a few were available, but price was high. This title was what my wife and I played at a bar while dating, and that was 26 years ago. This one is a keep...so is she. So, it's important that I do this right, also while getting it back up and running so we can continue to enjoy. A little down time is ok, but too much is dangerous...just like marriage!

#13 6 years ago

Yes, it is ok to put in an aftermarket power supply if that is what you want to do. XPin ranks up there as the most reliable but Rottendog, not as much. I rather have a repaired original over a Rottendog board.

#14 6 years ago

Good to know. Regarding Rotten Dog boards, is your feeling that way with all boards? I've seen threads and talked to some locals about them, 50/50 on the votes. A few use them to get the machines up and running, then switch back out. At $400 for a MPU, not cheap, or even $80-$100 for a PS, but a few guys have quite a collection and time is always at a premium.

#15 6 years ago

Me, I would not buy aftermarket unless that was my only option. You are also wasting a 100.00 bill. But if speed is important I have a spare factory power supply I can sell you for 75.00.

#16 6 years ago

I don't mind using LED displays from Rottendog since they are low voltage/current so less chance of bad things happening.

Other boards, I pass on. I would rather wait to get original boards and repair them even if it takes longer to find.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Me, I would not buy aftermarket unless that was my only option. You are also wasting a 100.00 bill. But if speed is important I have a spare factory power supply I can sell you for 75.00.

I just sent you a PM. Let's talk.

#18 6 years ago

A little update on my problem:

I was working with Grumpy offline just because it worked out that way for the moment and was going to reply to forum with update, so here it is
As it stands, still not working. Replaced old chip with socket and new chip, garbled display, changed chip, clear display, same u41 error, checked power supply, seems to be doing what it is supposed to, maybe (?) As luck would have it, friend of a friend has a rotten dog board for this, brand new, thinking of swapping, look harder at mine, but see if new cpu fixes problem. Now I am contemplating my next move...which may be bourbon! Not giving up.

A huge thanks to Grumpy for his continued advice. Learning something each time and studying the machine a little more each time.

#19 6 years ago

Someone here would not mind working on it for you. I am one such person, but backed up with some other boards at the moment.

#20 6 years ago

I appreciate the offer and I am at this point going to replace the CPU with a RD board, shelf the original and get into it at a later date. Then hopefully get the original back in. I'll post again once new board is in.

#21 6 years ago

Rottendog MPU boards have been problematic in certain titles which is one reason I avoid them.

Chris Hibler has a good turnaround time repairing boards for less than half the cost of a Rottendog board.

I am wondering if Grumpy has the time for it?

#22 6 years ago

I would, but after Christmas or my wife would kill me!

#23 6 years ago

Grumpy, common denominator across the counrty! However, over the years, I've learned mine has every right to get mad, I usually deserve it.

#24 6 years ago

Yeah according to my wife it's always my fault!

#25 6 years ago

or "it's OK to be wrong all the time"

#26 6 years ago

Where would be without them?..I know my answer and it isn't pretty...you are all on your own.

Gents, and ladies if you're on here, a year ago I found pinside, I'm glad I did because "phone a friend" will be needed and appreciated.

"Cleaning" garage and then maybe a few rounds with some electronics.

#27 6 years ago

Update:
At 11:31 pm, EST, the game roared to life after replacing the CPU with a "rented" rottendog board. I am now enjoying a beer and playing to see how it's working and I'm reminded that before this went wonky, all I wanted to do was replace a few bulbs and rebuild a flipper. I will do those after Glutoney Fest on Thursday, but will also begin looking at my old board or have it repaired.

Thank you to all who jumped in and provided advice. This is the start and definitely not the end. Looking forward to more. My other hobby is brewing beer, if this keeps up, I'm upping my qty of that!

#28 6 years ago

Another update:
After playing the game for a while last night, I noticed the call outs and general sound were all at the same level and couldn't be turned down. While noticeable to me since I've played this title so many times, not sure if someone new would. Grumpy said it was an issue with the RD boards and a resistor is the cause, this RD is currently not mine, but a loaner and I won't be looking into changing it. However, if I do end up with it as my own or have one in the future, I would be interested in knowing where it is and how to change it.

After this experience, I can see having a RD as an option if you had multiple machines of similar type or were repairing boards and used it as a loaner for the person who wanted their game up right away until the original was repaired. However, at a cost of $350-$400 a board, you'd be one high class board repairer!

#29 6 years ago

The power supply on my Cyclone went bad and since my soldering skills suck, I just opted for the xpin power supply. It's been in there a couple of years and still works like a charm.

#30 6 years ago

I think I'm going to work on my skills and repair boards as they require, but right now, I'm about to "ride the ferris wheel!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-u41-pia-failure-now-the-display-is-scrambled and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.